Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:46 am

Please fictional online boogieman aka Slenderman 8O

Stabbing

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:50 am

We really need better mental health care for young people.how do parents not know what's going on with their kids?Are they worried about the stigma of their kid needing help?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm

Er what? Are they going to try to summon Cthulthu next?

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 1:21 pm

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm

Charging them as adults seems overkill.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 7:36 pm

This happened fairly close to me, which seems surreal. It seems that the girls couldn't separate fiction from reality, which seems incredibly sad all around.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 8:37 pm

Seems neither have any concept (or fear) of consequences.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

"Unmonitored and unrestricted access to the Internet by children is a growing and alarming problem," he said. "Parents are strongly encouraged to restrict and monitor their children?s Internet usage."

Because most 12-year-olds would do this after reading about Slenderman? If that's the case, why stop at the internet? Are you allowing your kids access to a library? There's some pretty sick stuff in fairy tales.

And no, I don't mean autistic 12-year-olds would.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm

I like how America arbitrarily charges children as adults because "MUH EMOTIONS!! !"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:43 pm

Magneto wrote:
Er what? Are they going to try to summon Cthulthu next?

As I understand it, the Slenderman is described as an impossibly tall and thin, faceless man with tentacles. I think he'd fit right in with the Cthulhu Mythos - possibly one of the many forms taken by Nyalathotep.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

An old friend of mine lives within walking distance of where the assault took place. The local people are in shock. So far, the perpetrators seem to have been lost in an online game and fantasy world. And, when interviewed by police, one of the girls told them the whole story, as if the police would understand and realize what they did made sense. I have the feeling neither of the girls will be running around loose for a long time. Obviously, they are both dangerously delusional.

In the United States, police and prosecutors have lots of charging options. Typically, they charge toward the top end, for any crime that has some serious result, like the serious injuries to the victim. During the pre-trial process, investigations occur and negotiations take place. If all parties agree, a solution may actually preempt a trial. The girls will likely be given prison time, but serve their sentence in a mental hospital. There are a lot of options. That said, if they go to prison, they will be out once they serve their time. However, if they are sent to a mental hospital and ordered held until they are no longer a danger, they could be there forever.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

I really have no clue who or what Slenderman is supposed to be. Sounds like some new weight-loss product whose target audience is male.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 4:33 pm

Slenderman is such an idiotic meme. I could never get what the big deal with it is.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 5:25 pm

From I understand, some sort of demonic bogeyman who encourages people to commit murder in his name, that was a relatively recent invention on the internet. If these two girls believed this thing is real, you gotta wonder how many other kids - or even adults - believe in it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:52 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
From I understand, some sort of demonic bogeyman who encourages people to commit murder in his name, that was a relatively recent invention on the internet. If these two girls believed this thing is real, you gotta wonder how many other kids - or even adults - believe in it.

I know what it is, I just don't see the appeal of it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 3:12 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I know what it is, I just don't see the appeal of it.

Beats the poop ought of me.