One Of The Biggest Icebergs Has Broken Loose In Antarctica

Page 4 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

20 Jul 2017, 10:33 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
FACT: Climate change is still a big deal.


Oh yeah?



Ha!



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,609
Location: Aux Arcs

20 Jul 2017, 10:39 pm

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I've seen the movie.And you beleive the few deniers out there.
I beleive the scientists and the data,not a climate change Internet site.


The few were the ones who knew the Matrix to be a lie. In a Matrix analogy, being in the majority is what you want to avoid. Where did you get scientists data outside of what biased internet and media has told you? You only think you took the red pill because that's what they want you to believe.

I try to get info from different sources,not a good idea to rely on one.
I hardly think I'm in the majority.lol Those are the people that elected Trump.
And for gods sake,stop snacking on those blue pills.They aren't pop corn.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

20 Jul 2017, 10:45 pm

Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I've seen the movie.And you beleive the few deniers out there.
I beleive the scientists and the data,not a climate change Internet site.


The few were the ones who knew the Matrix to be a lie. In a Matrix analogy, being in the majority is what you want to avoid. Where did you get scientists data outside of what biased internet and media has told you? You only think you took the red pill because that's what they want you to believe.

I try to get info from different sources,not a good idea to rely on one.
I hardly think I'm in the majority.lol Those are the people that elected Trump.
And for gods sake,stop snacking on those blue pills.They aren't pop corn.


Okay so now the supposed 97% isn't a majority? And the "few deniers" are the majority? Are you smoking something and can I have some?

And why are you repetitively saying I'm snacking on blue pills?



Last edited by EzraS on 20 Jul 2017, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,609
Location: Aux Arcs

20 Jul 2017, 10:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Animal species have always been going extinct, whilst many new species are discovered yearly.


The extinction rate is much higher than it used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

Additionally, many coastal cities are at risk thanks to climate change.


Or it could be that extinction rates are just being kept track of more as time progresses. For instance scientists estimate we have discovered less than 10 per cent of the species on our planet. As they discover more, that doesn't mean that more are coming into existence or more are becoming extinct. It just means they're keeping greater track of species. But they are still just scratching the surface.

Coastal cities are at risk according to climate change science prediction models. Computer models can me designed to say whatever the designers want them too.

No,amphibians are going extinct.All China's turtles are extinct (except for a few zoo specimens they are desperately trying to breed)China Girl is one of the last Yangtze River turtles alive.They ate them into extinction or destroyed their habitat.


The at risk part is based on computer model predictions of sea levels rising, not the popularity of turtle soup in China.

I was not referring to rise in sea levels.Want me to start?
It was in reference to the current mass extinction.You're trying too hard. :P


Well far as I know DarthMetaKnight was. He said coastal cities were at risk. I doubt he meant the cities were at risk due to a lack of turtles. We're getting our apples and oranges mixed up. The turtles are being hunted to extinction, rather than it having to do with climate change due to CO2 emissions.

Click on the Holocene event link.Thats the one about extinction.
Climate change is part of the reason for decline and extinction of amphibians and other creatures.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

20 Jul 2017, 10:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Click on the Holocene event link.Thats the one about extinction.
Climate change is part of the reason for decline and extinction of amphibians and other creatures.


Climate change is only part that's being discussed in this thread. I'll start getting all confuzzled if you start adding in other factors.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,609
Location: Aux Arcs

20 Jul 2017, 10:55 pm

EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I've seen the movie.And you beleive the few deniers out there.
I beleive the scientists and the data,not a climate change Internet site.


The few were the ones who knew the Matrix to be a lie. In a Matrix analogy, being in the majority is what you want to avoid. Where did you get scientists data outside of what biased internet and media has told you? You only think you took the red pill because that's what they want you to believe.

I try to get info from different sources,not a good idea to rely on one.
I hardly think I'm in the majority.lol Those are the people that elected Trump.
And for gods sake,stop snacking on those blue pills.They aren't pop corn.


Okay so now the supposed 97% isn't a majority? And the "few deniers" are the majority? Are you smoking something and can I have some?

And why are you repetitively saying I'm snacking on blue pills?

Then who do you suggest we get climate information from,a politician? Exxon Evecutive?
The majority of people are blind to what's going on.Maybe the air is nice and clean where you live,but that's not the case for most urban dwellers around the world.
You think it's all good,it's not.That is why I say you're eating the blue pill.
Just some interesting trivia on the Matrix,the Dalai Lama thinks it's a great film.Very similar to some of the Bhuddist teachings.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,105
Location: The Infodome

21 Jul 2017, 12:06 am

EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
FACT: Climate change is still a big deal.


Oh yeah?



Ha!


CLIMATE CHANGE WILL TURN THE FROGS GAY!


_________________
Synthetic carbo-polymers got em through man. They got em through mouse. They got through, and we're gonna get out.
-Roostre

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/


DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,105
Location: The Infodome

21 Jul 2017, 12:09 am

Say goodbye to glaciers!


_________________
Synthetic carbo-polymers got em through man. They got em through mouse. They got through, and we're gonna get out.
-Roostre

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

21 Jul 2017, 12:50 am

Misslizard wrote:
Then who do you suggest we get climate information from,a politician? Exxon Evecutive?


There's no practicality in going from one extreme to another.

Misslizard wrote:
The majority of people are blind to what's going on.


Since when is someone like me a part of the majority?

Misslizard wrote:
Maybe the air is nice and clean where you live,but that's not the case for most urban dwellers around the world. You think it's all good,it's not.That is why I say you're eating the blue pill.


Actually I live in an urban area within the Seattle metroplex. And up until 2014 I lived in Las Vegas which is listed as one of the 25 most polluted cities in the US. So the first part of the parroted "blue pill taker" accusation you picked up, is based on assuming the person spent their life way out in the country were they can actually see lots of stars at night, which certainly isn't the case with me.

The second part assumes the person is a purely subjective thinker and their opinion is based on their microcosm. Now since I have mainly experienced being in polluted urban areas, that's not going to apply me. However I could subjectively decide global warming is a myth based on the fact that it was so cool today going into late July, that I had to wear a hoodie to stay comfortably warm. But that's not how I think because I am very aware of the flaw in that type of thinking. Which is way I always strive for objectivity.

So do you still see me as eating the blue pill based on the conditions you gave?

Misslizard wrote:
Just some interesting trivia on the Matrix,the Dalai Lama thinks it's a great film.Very similar to some of the Bhuddist teachings.


I've known for a long time that many consider The Matrix be a rip off of The Invisibles comic series who's protagonist may become the next Buddha. So that's probably where that comes from.



Last edited by EzraS on 21 Jul 2017, 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

21 Jul 2017, 12:57 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Say goodbye to glaciers!


"The Real News" videos have a pretty low amount of viewership. Isn't there something more substantial?



DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,105
Location: The Infodome

21 Jul 2017, 2:01 am

EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Say goodbye to glaciers!


"The Real News" videos have a pretty low amount of viewership. Isn't there something more substantial?


http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum


_________________
Synthetic carbo-polymers got em through man. They got em through mouse. They got through, and we're gonna get out.
-Roostre

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/


nineinchnailsfan93
Raven
Raven

Joined: 12 Jun 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 108

21 Jul 2017, 4:16 am

Lintar wrote:
nineinchnailsfan93 wrote:
Im just sitting here looking at the comments by conservatives on how they think they have all the "facts" to refute the EVIDENCE that global warming is a huge part of our modern reality. But then again theyre the same people who believe that a jewish street preacher in the middle east is iconic because hes "the son of god".


A lazy 'ad hom' attack. I'm not a 'conservative' by any means; just the opposite in fact, but I prefer facts to pointless and unsubstantiated claims that are specifically designed to scare people silly.


Theres mountains of evidence stating that global warming and climate change is occurring, granted there are some over exaggerated claims from people that believe in climate change, how ever its still a pretty major concern. And im not stating that the end of the world because of it will happen in our life time or even 200 years from now. im just saying that we need to take the statistics into consideration. I believe we need more cleaner energy and make it cheap for the consumer in order to at least help out the planet. And im not saying all climate change deniers are conservatives, but most of them are, lets be honest. But regardless of that factor it was a joke, lighten up.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

21 Jul 2017, 4:46 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Say goodbye to glaciers!


"The Real News" videos have a pretty low amount of viewership. Isn't there something more substantial?


http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum


I'll take that as a no.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

21 Jul 2017, 5:01 am

cyberdad wrote:
man made global warming in action...


We need more Global Warming.

The disaster will be when this warm period, the Eocene, ends and we enter the next period of glaciation which should last more than 100,000 years. When that happens, starvation and death by starvation will become very common because a cooler Earth cannot support nearly as much life as a warmer Earth.

There will almost surely be wars over the dwindling resources.

I'll happily take Global Warming any day.



eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

21 Jul 2017, 5:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
So the earth has undergone dramatic climate changes over the millennia that have had absolutely nothing to do with man made emissions.


Those changes in the past were gradual, the measured changes in the last 100 years have been relatively dramatic


Have you ever heard of the Younger Dryas, a cold period lasting more than 1,000 years during the Holocene? Those changes, both entering that cold period and emerging from it were very quick, perhaps in as short as 10 or 20 years.

If we were to have another period like that, the population of the Earth would plummet. It would not be surprising if 8 or 9 out of 10 people died from it.



Last edited by eric76 on 21 Jul 2017, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

21 Jul 2017, 5:18 am

Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Animal species have always been going extinct, whilst many new species are discovered yearly.


The extinction rate is much higher than it used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

Additionally, many coastal cities are at risk thanks to climate change.


Or it could be that extinction rates are just being kept track of more as time progresses. For instance scientists estimate we have discovered less than 10 per cent of the species on our planet. As they discover more, that doesn't mean that more are coming into existence or more are becoming extinct. It just means they're keeping greater track of species. But they are still just scratching the surface.

Coastal cities are at risk according to climate change science prediction models. Computer models can me designed to say whatever the designers want them too.

No,amphibians are going extinct.All China's turtles are extinct (except for a few zoo specimens they are desperately trying to breed)China Girl is one of the last Yangtze River turtles alive.They ate them into extinction or destroyed their habitat.


That's an entirely different issue from extinction due to a change in climate.