Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 3:05 pm

Antrax wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Honestly don't think youtube should be doing this. Not that I want videos on youtube disputing the election, but I think having social media companies policing misinformation is a generally bad idea.

Didn't social media's failure to respond contribute to the growth of the Q-Anon conspiracies? Don't they have an obligation to not have their platforms used to spread disinformation?

Does Verizon have an obligation that misinformation isn't spread over their phone lines? Does the U.S. postal service has an obligation that misinformation isn't mailed out? In the USPS' case they are a government entity and couldn't censor mail even if they wanted.

Bottom line is I don't trust Facebook, Youtube et. al to be arbiters of truth. You honestly want Mark Zuckerberg deciding what is and isn't factual information?

They're not arbiters of truth, just of allowable content, which they already are anyways. :wink:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 3:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Antrax wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Honestly don't think youtube should be doing this. Not that I want videos on youtube disputing the election, but I think having social media companies policing misinformation is a generally bad idea.

Didn't social media's failure to respond contribute to the growth of the Q-Anon conspiracies? Don't they have an obligation to not have their platforms used to spread disinformation?

Does Verizon have an obligation that misinformation isn't spread over their phone lines? Does the U.S. postal service has an obligation that misinformation isn't mailed out? In the USPS' case they are a government entity and couldn't censor mail even if they wanted.

Bottom line is I don't trust Facebook, Youtube et. al to be arbiters of truth. You honestly want Mark Zuckerberg deciding what is and isn't factual information?

They're not arbiters of truth, just of allowable content, which they already are anyways. :wink:

You do understand the difference between what they can do and what they should do right? You do realize this is a shift from previously established norms of "allowable content"?

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 3:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
This just proves something is off. People have a right to debate the results of an election. And when you remove videos involving those debates, you are just proving other peoples suspicions. Removing these videos is just silencing people.

Does this oblige them to continue to host videos promoting blatant disinformation? Are they obliged to host all disinformation, or would some topics like holocaust denial be too far?
Comparing the Holocaust with the Election is like comparing apples and oranges, my friend. The Holocaust meant People were targeted and marked for extermination for being different.
Questioning the Election is far different.
<snip>
The mis-information in regard to the election is subjective, Because how do you YOU know your information hasn't been altered for a certain goal and or objective? Believe what you want, That is your right. But don't sit here and call the Republicans mis-informed when you have been played by the other side of the same coin. I don't care for either party, to be fair. We're all being played.

Folks who peddle the QAnon nonsense believe they're raising a valid case too, but loudly insisting you have a valid case isn't the same as having one. No one is preventing the StopTheSteal conspiracy theorists from believing what they want, they're only being denied access to a specific platform they're using to peddle harmful disinformation. YouTube doesn't owe them a platform to spread lies on.
What does QAnon have to do with the Election? If you really want to talk about that grossness, Don't forget Joe Biden's son was caught with pictures of naked underage girls on his computer. And you also have former childhood actors come forward saying they were molested by adults. Cory Feldman being one of those who came forward. Hollywood is called Hollyweird for a reason. QAnon is a 50/50 for me. It could be true, It could be a lie. The people who are infact involved in that vile and disgusting behavior, Are extremely careful with who they share their hobbies with. There could be a massive pedo ring going on, and those sick bastards should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. I think Pedo's should be put in the same cell with other inmates. No protection, No single cells, just fed to the dogs.

Last edited by StayFrosty on 10 Dec 2020, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 3:48 pm

It's all really very simple.  YouTube has the right to police its contents, and they are exercising that right.  The fact that people are angry because they can no longer exploit YouTube's formerly loose standards to spread lies and disinformation is beside the point, because no matter what YouTube does, someone is going to be upset.

The people who formed Parler have the right idea: If you cannot tolerate being corrected and censored, then start a new website of your own -- "If you build it, they will come".  So the solution is not to complain that Mr. Trump and his followers are being treated unfairly; the solution is to set up another video-based website and invite Mr. Trump and his followers to post there freely.

I mean, if you do not like the way WrongPlanet is being run, you either keep your head down and deal with it, or you run off an create your own autism-focused website and invite all those who have an axe to grind against WP to join you, right?  So just go ahead and build another YouTube wannabe site and forget about the original.  You will be glad you did!

• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans •

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 4:51 pm

Since youtube does not want any misinformation on their channel, does that mean they will get rid of all the HAES videos and all the conspiracy theory videos? Does that mean they will get rid of all the Trump lover videos that still support him and get rid of all the right wing videos?

Just wondering how far does this go when we restrict what people can say with their conspiracies. Does that mean they delete videos if anyone talks about how Elvis is still alive and he faked his death?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 4:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
YouTube will remove videos disputing the 2020 election.
What took them so long?

Is it okay for YouTube to remove something as long as you disagree with what is being removed?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 4:56 pm

Anyone who believes in "q anon" is as much a hacker as I'm a sparkly purple unicorn.

Real anons do not demand social credit for hunting pedophiles. They do so for free, with zero publicity to get in the way.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:02 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
This just proves something is off. People have a right to debate the results of an election. And when you remove videos involving those debates, you are just proving other peoples suspicions. Removing these videos is just silencing people.

Does this oblige them to continue to host videos promoting blatant disinformation? Are they obliged to host all disinformation, or would some topics like holocaust denial be too far?
Comparing the Holocaust with the Election is like comparing apples and oranges, my friend. The Holocaust meant People were targeted and marked for extermination for being different.
Questioning the Election is far different. In regard to Covid-19, Let's not forget you have several Governors and politicians caught red handed not following their own rules for the virus. Pelosi was caught red handed walking into a Hair salon without a mask. Newsom was caught at a party while everyone else is expected to social distance. We live in a society that mentally beats us to think a certain way, And anyone who doesn't, gets silenced. The mis-information in regard to the election is subjective, Because how do you YOU know your information hasn't been altered for a certain goal and or objective? Believe what you want, That is your right. But don't sit here and call the Republicans mis-informed when you have been played by the other side of the same coin. I don't care for either party, to be fair. We're all being played.

Well I mean to be fair it is a fact that Joe Biden won and Trump lost, so any republican disputing that is at the very least misinformed.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:11 pm

Youtube apparently has been criticized for allowing videos saying Trump won the 2020 election.

https://www.adexchanger.com/ad-exchange ... -16112020/

Now they are being criticized for removing the videos.

Darn if they do, darn if they don't.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:

Questioning the Election is far different. In regard to Covid-19, Let's not forget you have several Governors and politicians caught red handed not following their own rules for the virus. Pelosi was caught red handed walking into a Hair salon without a mask. Newsom was caught at a party while everyone else is expected to social distance. We live in a society that mentally beats us to think a certain way, And anyone who doesn't, gets silenced. The mis-information in regard to the election is subjective, Because how do you YOU know your information hasn't been altered for a certain goal and or objective? Believe what you want, That is your right. But don't sit here and call the Republicans mis-informed when you have been played by the other side of the same coin. I don't care for either party, to be fair. We're all being played.

Well I mean to be fair it is a fact that Joe Biden won and Trump lost, so any republican disputing that is at the very least misinformed.
And you guys did the same thing when Trump beat Hillary.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:26 pm

They allow Vids that claim that Queen Elizabeth is an alien Reptoid, and they allow vids that claim that the Earth is flat.

So yes...you could claim that they should also allow Biden Denialism as well.

But its like the old question "does free speech include yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater?".

Believing the Queen morphs into a lizard does not cause individuals nor society immediate harm, but yelling fire in a theater, or telling folks that Covid is a hoax, or that drinking bleach cures covid, or bleach enemas cure autism, or that you have to take up a gun because they sell children into white slavery at Planet Pizza, or you have to take up a gun because the Dems stole the election from Trump ....could have dangerous consequences. So in the real world you really cant have your ideal of pure free speech.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:46 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
StayFrosty wrote:

And you guys did the same thing when Trump beat Hillary.

I never did any such thing, I was disappointed that he won but I didn't think it was fraudulent. Also, an impeachment isn't the same thing as denying the results of the election like Trump is doing if that is what you're referring to.

Also, what exactly do you mean you guys? just want to know what I am being lumped in with lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 5:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
They allow Vids that claim that Queen Elizabeth is an alien Reptoid, and they allow vids that claim that the Earth is flat.

So yes...you could claim that they should also allow Biden Denialism as well.

But its like the old question "does free speech include yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater?".

Believing the Queen morphs into a lizard does not cause individuals nor society immediate harm, but yelling fire in a theater, or telling folks that Covid is a hoax, or that drinking bleach cures covid, or bleach enemas cure autism, or that you have to take up a gun because they sell children into white slavery at Planet Pizza, or you have to take up a gun because the Dems stole the election from Trump ....could have dangerous consequences. So in the real world you really cant have your ideal of pure free speech.

I'd have to agree.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 6:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
https://news.yahoo.com/youtube-removes-videos-with-us-election-fraud-claims-154726251.html

Quote:
YouTube’s determination to curb election misinformation is extending to disputes over the results. The Google-owned service has started removing content uploaded from December 9th onward if it alleges that “widespread fraud or errors” altered the outcome of the 2020 US presidential election. States have certified the results, YouTube said, and December 8th was the safe harbor deadline for the election — Joe Biden is the President-elect as far as the government is concerned, and the video site is acting accordingly.

The company is matching this by updating its election fact check panels with a link to the Office of the Federal Register page confirming Biden’s win. There will still be a link to the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s page debunking false election integrity claims.

https://www.thewrap.com/youtube-will-no ... ter-fraud/

Quote:
YouTube announced Wednesday that it will delete any new content uploaded that repeats false claims that voter fraud or rigging impacted the 2020 election.

“Now that enough states certified their Presidential election results, we’ll remove any content published today (or anytime after) that alleges widespread fraud or errors changed the 2020 U.S. Presidential election outcome,” the Google-owned video platform’s Twitter account said.

This move is in keeping with its election goal to, it said, “connect people to authoritative info, limit harmful misinfo & remove violative content.”

Will this lead to the alternative universe dwellers fleeing to another platform? How far will they go to preserve the bubble of misinformation? Why are some people so insistent on refusing to accept the outcome?

The problem I see here is this (And I am talking in theory here in this first paragraph). Lets say that one political party was elected for government solely because they did cheat the system to gain more votes then any of the others. Isn't it rather convenient to bring in such restrictions?
Lets say that in this case it turns out that the allagations are true. Will those who have put up their youtube films be entitled to sue Youtube for their decision and their emotional harm caused to them of being silenced?

My point is that it is easy to assume. It is also easy to ban. But does this then imply that Youtube is no longer a platform of free speech or does it imply that Youtube is a biassed organization towards those with a certain political viewpoint?

It is a bit like the hypocritical era we live in today where we tend to find faults from the past but then we sway in the total opposite direction instead of finding the neutral ground and we make it law!

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 6:14 pm

cberg wrote:
Anyone who believes in "q anon" is as much a hacker as I'm a sparkly purple unicorn.
Yeah, because the people who run the world are 100% good people, right? :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 6:22 pm

StayFrosty wrote:
What does QAnon have to do with the Election? I

Quite a bit apparently
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewst ... d4f8253a91