House votes to decriminalize cannabis

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 5:51 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/congress-takes-historic-bill-decriminalize-cannabis-n1249905

Whether it passes the Senate remains to be seen. Here are my theories:

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, both Republicans, both represent states where recreational marijuana is legal (Maine and Alaska, respectively). Both also frequently vote with Democrats.

Rand Paul, another Republican, has long been in favor of decriminalization.

On the other hand...

Joe Manchin, a Democrat, could vote with most Republicans in opposing it.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 10:56 pm

I like the Frankenstein, the deer, green monster, bling, and the bling, bling all rolled into one. It's the best godamn thing you could ever try!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2020, 10:59 pm

Thankfully we in Colorado are somewhat ahead of the curve. :mrgreen: :colors:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 4:45 am

Texas will probably be one of the last to legalize. I bet it's because Gov. Abbott has a stake in the prison-for-profit industry.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 11:59 am

Rotten Cotton won’t vote for it.He was against medical till the people voted it in.

King Kat 1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2020, 4:15 am

Here in Ohio, old man Dewine is majorly anti-weed so Ohio would be one of the last places to legalize it too.

In the senate, I'd say: Murkowski, Collins, and likely Rand Paul would vote yes. Manchin of WV not sure.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 4:17 am

Apart from wrecking your physical and mental health, weed is relatively innocuous. 8)

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 8:48 am

So Da Orakle of Troof is a narc after all! Who knew!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 9:04 am

Personally, i think that weed should be treated same as alcohol.
Certainly would save the world a fortune on policing, court costs and imprisonment.

Not everyone who smokes weed ends up mad, as not all people who drink alcohol end up an alcoholic.
Personal choice, while separating weed smokers from criminals (which would have a decriminalising effect on the world).

The state could then tax the revenue from weed and use the tax to pay for support services and rehab units (which would be much cheaper than policing, court costs and imprisonment, not to mention the costs that dealing with drug related crimes cost the world).

Personally i don't smoke the stuff any more, but believe that people deserve freedom of choice, especially when religion is involved (as in Rastafari).

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:07 am

I have mixed feelings about this. If it is used for medical purposes, I have no problem with it being legalized. But, not so sure if it is going to be used in other ways. See below for my explanation on why I feel the way I do.

There is a side of it that I see everyday at work teaching at the university. College students that use it frequently to get high off of the THC tend to have very bad short term memory issues. Do you know how #@/%ing annoying it is to try to teach to them? Constantly having to repeat things because they forgot what you just said and then they ask you about it multiple times in the same class. Some have even came high to a lab course and that is a major safety issue for me to deal with. Yes, it is their choice to use, but I have to work much harder because of it. I question how much that they can really learn under those conditions.

I had a very good former student of mine that got accepted into an Ivy League graduate school program. He quickly quit using when he figured out that he was falling way behind those who were in his class that did not use it. He commented that he thought it was harmless until he could not remember his research goals during a meeting with his research adviser. It was a major embarrassment for him. The advisor called him out on it. Not his best time to shine.

Look, I have no problem with those that use it for a health/medical reason. I have had to work with some in classes that had to use low THC edibles for a medical condition that they had. They showed no major memory problems because they monitored the amounts that they had to consume very carefully. Those who abuse it to get high off of the THC do not always watch how much that they consume. That becomes my problem when they come into my classes.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:27 am

Pepe wrote:
Apart from wrecking your physical and mental health, weed is relatively innocuous. 8)

Excessive use of alcohol does the same thing.Weed helps my mental health, I’m prescribed it for PTSD.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 1:16 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
I have mixed feelings about this. If it is used for medical purposes, I have no problem with it being legalized. But, not so sure if it is going to be used in other ways. See below for my explanation on why I feel the way I do.

There is a side of it that I see everyday at work teaching at the university. College students that use it frequently to get high off of the THC tend to have very bad short term memory issues. Do you know how #@/%ing annoying it is to try to teach to them? Constantly having to repeat things because they forgot what you just said and then they ask you about it multiple times in the same class. Some have even came high to a lab course and that is a major safety issue for me to deal with. Yes, it is their choice to use, but I have to work much harder because of it. I question how much that they can really learn under those conditions.

I had a very good former student of mine that got accepted into an Ivy League graduate school program. He quickly quit using when he figured out that he was falling way behind those who were in his class that did not use it. He commented that he thought it was harmless until he could not remember his research goals during a meeting with his research adviser. It was a major embarrassment for him. The advisor called him out on it. Not his best time to shine.

Look, I have no problem with those that use it for a health/medical reason. I have had to work with some in classes that had to use low THC edibles for a medical condition that they had. They showed no major memory problems because they monitored the amounts that they had to consume very carefully. Those who abuse it to get high off of the THC do not always watch how much that they consume. That becomes my problem when they come into my classes.

Well it sounds like they are being irresponsible with it, I don't see anything wrong inherently with 'getting high' but for sure there is a time and place for recreational use, and your classroom is not it. That makes sense.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 1:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Excessive use of alcohol does the same thing.Weed helps my mental health, I’m prescribed it for PTSD.

Was it difficult to get a med card for the PTSD? I have been considering trying to get one but there's a 110 dollar evaluation fee and I don't want to waste my money just to not be approved.

I already use it for that, but I'd not mind making it legitimate so I could go to med dispensaries and they could help with really finding the right strains and stuff to help.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 1:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Was it difficult to get a med card for the PTSD? I have been considering trying to get one but there's a 110 dollar evaluation fee and I don't want to waste my money just to not be approved.

I already use it for that, but I'd not mind making it legitimate so I could go to med dispensaries and they could help with really finding the right strains and stuff to help.

Not at all if you have a physician’s letter.Next you have to take the letter to a cannabis doctor that writes the script.It cost me $150 doctor visit and then $50 for the card.The bummer is you have to renew and pay that fee every year.They also won’t let us grow our own which is stupid since the closest dispensary is a four hour round trip from me.Surprisingly Oklahoma is way more lenient ,allowing people to grow and have eight ounces at a time.They are also cheaper and have more strains available.Merle Haggard would roll in his grave.The okies from Muskogee are now rolling big ass blunts.
I found pure sativa strains are more likely to make me nervous so I prefer something with more indica.My favorite strain is Mandarin Temple, a hybrid of indica and sativa that doesn’t cause couch lock like some full strain indicas.It tastes and smells wonderful.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 1:55 pm

Sativa strains have really been helpful to me. They treat my depression, and help get me focused and productive.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 2:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Pepe wrote:

If someone is particularly susceptible to hypnotic trance states, they are more likely to experience psychotic episodes.
But this is fairly rare. About 10% of the population have that degree of somnambulism.

Quote:
Another suggested that "A higher incidence [of sleepwalking events] has been reported in patients with schizophrenia, hysteria and anxiety neuroses". Also, patients with migraine headaches or Tourette syndrome are 4–6 times more likely to sleepwalk.

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.