Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 3:48 am

Seriously Australia, what are you doing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cy/619940/

Quote:
Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

Home based quarantine app? Forced to download? How is that even supposed to work?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:38 am

Yes. George Orwell's 1984... but made possible with 2021 smart phone tech that Orwell could never have imagined.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:56 am

Since when does a government have the rights to own its people in a democratic country?

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 03 Sep 2021, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:59 am

Yet people here want to complain about being asked to where masks … if people could keep the virus under control by wearing masks and choosing social distancing, there won’t any reason to go nuts with ideas like this.

We are so fortunate in the US to have the vaccines. It’s just stunning to me how many people want to waste that privilege by choosing not to vaccinate.

For all I complain about the previous president, he secured a lot of vaccine doses.

Australia did really well earlier in the pandemic but they don’t have the level of vaccination to help tamper spread.

Out of control pandemics inspire crazy things.

How many years before our world gets out of this mess?

(I’d be pretty freaked out if I was forced to download an app like that, and, reasonable or not, would probably blame all the selfish people unwilling to voluntarily take the necessary public health steps for driving government officials to it. People can really sabotage their own interests by being stupidly selfish. It is also possible for the government with bad leadership to drive those bad decisions by the public; in that case I’d be pissed at the leadership. End point, there is no need for things to get so bad that anyone wants to enact such a measure; you often get there because someone or everyone messed up; never give leadership something to use as an excuse)

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 03 Sep 2021, 5:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:04 am

Ou prime minster Scott Morrison botched rollout of vaccines due to his incompetence and lack of leadership.
We were managing alright until the premier of NSW allowed the new delta strain to run amok because she was too gutless to enact proper controls.

Our Neighbour New Zealand can describe Glady B. in one word
https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavir ... 189d288156

Meanwhile Gladys blames the victims (the public) instead of owning up to her incompetence.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/pre ... 58jw5.html

Now Morrison's original botched roll-out has come back to haunt half the country who now have to wait till 2022 to be allowed out of their homes.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:14 am

Perhaps is now about the time Australians should consider discrimination against their own police officers should they decide to act on this idiotic legislation?

I was thinking. Perhaps a new price of a loaf of bread being set at $50 for police? Doubling of rent for police? Refused admission into pubs and bars? Any wayward police will soon fall in line.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:53 am

Nades wrote:
Perhaps is now about the time Australians should consider discrimination against their own police officers should they decide to act on this idiotic legislation?

Mass non-compliance is the way, don't respond to the texts and make them send the cops every time, they don't have the resources and will be forced to drop it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:55 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Yet people here want to complain about being asked to where masks … if people could keep the virus under control by wearing masks and choosing social distancing, there won’t any reason to go nuts with ideas like this.

That's an interesting way to blame the victims here, the people wouldn't do what the politicians wanted, so it's their fault the politicians had to do this to them?

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2021, 6:05 am

This entirely Orwellian and totalitarian system has been functioning for the past 18 months in Western Australia. My parents who moved back west from Victoria at the height of the Victorian lock down last year had to apply for a Good to Go pass via an app, have COVID swabs upon arrival in the state and regularly take photos of themselves at home and upload it to the Good to Go app. They also had to complete a swab at the end of their 2 week quarantine period. The police also did a drive by whilst on the phone to them to ensure they were quarantining where they said they were.

It’s absolutely nuts here.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 6:06 am

Dox47 wrote:
Nades wrote:

Mass non-compliance is the way, don't respond to the texts and make them send the cops every time, they don't have the resources and will be forced to drop it.

Alternatively ganging up on any lone police officer is also an option of mass non-compliance and I feel a more satisfying version.

I think what you said about everyone ignoring it is more likely and just as good.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 6:12 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

That's an interesting way to blame the victims here, the people wouldn't do what the politicians wanted, so it's their fault the politicians had to do this to them?

No, the people wouldn’t do what the evolving science showed would stem the spread of disease.

Unfortunately messed up messaging encouraged part of the population to believe masking was somehow bad, instead of sensible. People could have sorted out the science if they had cared enough.

I’m still not condoning the proposed solution. What I’m seeing, however, is frustrated leadership that knows it has to get its numbers down and is frustrated enough to be willing to do whatever it takes. I’m suggesting such proposals are less likely to get out of the bag if a society can uniformly make choices that prevent the situation from reaching such a point. It makes me understand the thinking of the government, but it does not get me on board with an over-the-top solution.

And, well, I’m just frustrated as heck at all the people who don’t seem capable of understanding simple measures like masking aren’t the evil. But in reality that really is a separate issue that I probably should have left out of this thread. Still, I’m sure you’ve seen just how many citizens in the USA do blame their less complaint neighbors for allowing the pandemic to escalate. It may be the same in Australia.

A long, drawn out pandemic isn’t going to bring out the best in anyone.

And that includes me. Who needs to get some sleep.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 6:18 am

Nades wrote:

I was thinking. Perhaps a new price of a loaf of bread being set at $50 for police? Doubling of rent for police? Refused admission into pubs and bars? Any wayward police will soon fall in line.

To be fair the police have a hard time enforcing the law as it keeps changing every 2 weeks and nobody follows it properly because we are all too lazy to keep wup with the law.
Currently my neighbours have 4 cars of visitors. They are breaking the law, but I am too tired to report them to the police and in any case it is of no benefit to me to do so other than make enemies,

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 7:57 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Since when does a government have the rights to own its people in a democratic country?

When the people let them.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:21 am

Australia is a preview of what we have to look forward to.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Nades wrote:

To be fair the police have a hard time enforcing the law as it keeps changing every 2 weeks and nobody follows it properly because we are all too lazy to keep wup with the law.
Currently my neighbours have 4 cars of visitors. They are breaking the law, but I am too tired to report them to the police and in any case it is of no benefit to me to do so other than make enemies,

I think the ironic aspect of Australian lockdowns is that they actually hamper immunity. More behaviour like your neighbors from time to time might have given the population some degree of resistance to the virus by now provided they don't go nuts and overwhelm the hospitals. Australia needs to allow a controlled spread along with a less p**s poor vaccine rollout........it's easier said than done though.

Preventing spread at all cost is just kicking the can down the road. The virus is here to stay if Australia likes it or not. Provided hospitals can treat everyone, I would let it spread a bit.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:02 am

The homeless can't do that

Not everyone has a device to download with

The photos could be photoshopped