Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:46 am

... and yet the local Ozzy-Mozzies seem to have nothing better to do than criticize America ...

:roll:

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:50 am

I :heart: America … would live there permanently in a heartbeat! Every country has its problems …

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 9:55 am

Yes, we have our problems, just like any other country; but certain members seem to believe that pointing out our country's problems will make their countries' problems go away.

:roll: Pfft!  Hypocrisy or virtue-signaling ... what is the difference?

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 10:12 am

Yes … I feel so defensive whenever I read anything negative aimed at the US. Nothing wrong with voicing negative opinions on decision making in political matters etc etc … but American people, the land itself(which is beyond beautiful!) and the country as a whole, has my :heart: and always will. As an Aussie, who has experienced living there in different states, I feel in awe of it!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:49 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
The homeless can't do that

That is an interesting point that I've been curious about in the states, namely that our homeless population seems to be immune to the virus. Given the massive tent cities I've seen and the poor condition of the inhabitants, I'd have expected to see far more deaths in that community, but if it's happening I'm neither seeing nor hearing about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

Dox47 wrote:
That is an interesting point that I've been curious about in the states, namely that our homeless population seems to be immune to the virus. Given the massive tent cities I've seen and the poor condition of the inhabitants, I'd have expected to see far more deaths in that community, but if it's happening I'm neither seeing nor hearing about it.
You should be reading the homeless newspapers, listening to the homeless radio broadcasts, and watching the homeless news channels on TV.

What is that you say?

They do not have these things?

Then how else would the homeless be able to let everyone know how covid is ravaging their population?

They do not.

However, I have noted the various homeless camps shrinking in size, and the declining numbers of people sleeping in parks and alleys around Orange County, California.  Something is affecting the homeless population, and I doubt it has anything to do with any new shelters for the homeless.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
You should be reading the homeless newspapers, listening to the homeless radio broadcasts, and watching the homeless news channels on TV.

What is that you say?

They do not have these things?

Then how else would the homeless be able to let everyone know how covid is ravaging their population?

They do not.

However, I have noted the various homeless camps shrinking in size, and the declining numbers of people sleeping in parks and alleys around Orange County, California.  Something is affecting the homeless population, and I doubt it has anything to do with any new shelters for the homeless.

And/Or …

Living outside and one to a tent really is that much safer than living indoors, when it comes to the virus.

I should dig into it. I think we might have better data locally than is available to national news.

Meantime, no conclusions, just questions.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:55 pm

So here we are in the early 21st century and me almost not being computer literate . And since
have spatial irregularities in my day to day life . Cellphones have been very frustrating to people of my generation With these kinda issues . Much less the idea of remembering to keep it charged.
My life level of various disabilities, make cellphones a cumbersome item . So consequently ,
dealing with Apps and updating and getting my fat fingers to operate a tiny cellphone keyboard.
Leaves a person in a poor position to deal with these kind of level of governmental intrusions
/ regulations . hec , i hardly ever even want to deal with normal landline phone calls .
"Last of the hold outs." :ninja:

where ever you go ,there you are

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 6:28 pm

Jakki wrote:
So here we are in the early 21st century and me almost not being computer literate . And since
have spatial irregularities in my day to day life . Cellphones have been very frustrating to people of my generation With these kinda issues . Much less the idea of remembering to keep it charged.
My life level of various disabilities, make cellphones a cumbersome item . So consequently ,
dealing with Apps and updating and getting my fat fingers to operate a tiny cellphone keyboard.
Leaves a person in a poor position to deal with these kind of level of governmental intrusions
/ regulations . hec , i hardly ever even want to deal with normal landline phone calls .
"Last of the hold outs." :ninja:

Solid point. While my mom is cell phone literate, her aging fingers literally do not work with one anymore. She does have a stylus, but her fingers shake, so using it right is rare.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 7:43 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Seriously Australia, what are you doing?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... cy/619940/

Quote:
Intrastate travel within Australia is also severely restricted. And the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. People in South Australia will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

Home based quarantine app? Forced to download? How is that even supposed to work?

Gladys and Dan have acknowledged "we have to learn to live with the coronavirus".
The other states are in denial, but it is inevitable that they will have to accept that fact.

Getting the delta virus strain has been an *economic* "blessing" since continual lockdowns are unsustainable.
(Where are your social security/welfare payments going to come from? :scratch: )

The important thing is the rate of vaccination.

"The manmade coronavirus.
Your tax dollar at work."
This has been a public service announcement. :mrgreen:

Stoopid hoomans. :roll:

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 7:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes. George Orwell's 1984... but made possible with 2021 smart phone tech that Orwell could never have imagined.

I wonder if they bought the app from China?

It is ironic how China, the bastion of social freedoms, would develop 1984 technologies.
And, yes, I am being ironic about the said irony. 8)

A bit of a head-twister, aye? :scratch: :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:01 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Yet people here want to complain about being asked to where masks … if people could keep the virus under control by wearing masks and choosing social distancing, there won’t any reason to go nuts with ideas like this.

We are so fortunate in the US to have the vaccines. It’s just stunning to me how many people want to waste that privilege by choosing not to vaccinate.

For all I complain about the previous president, he secured a lot of vaccine doses.

Australia did really well earlier in the pandemic but they don’t have the level of vaccination to help tamper spread.

Out of control pandemics inspire crazy things.

How many years before our world gets out of this mess?

(I’d be pretty freaked out if I was forced to download an app like that, and, reasonable or not, would probably blame all the selfish people unwilling to voluntarily take the necessary public health steps for driving government officials to it. People can really sabotage their own interests by being stupidly selfish. It is also possible for the government with bad leadership to drive those bad decisions by the public; in that case I’d be pissed at the leadership. End point, there is no need for things to get so bad that anyone wants to enact such a measure; you often get there because someone or everyone messed up; never give leadership something to use as an excuse)

The vaccination rates have skyrocketed, since the delta virus breakout.
There was no need to get the jab when Australia was virtually Covid free.
That is why I didn't get the vaccine.
Why take a new drug, with unknown side effects when you don't have to?
Now we have to because the delta stain is out of control.

The other issue was the scaremongering about the AZ vaccine.
In hindsight, *that* stuffed up Morrison's vaccination timetable.
The last report was that there were 6 million doses available, but people were waiting for the Pfizer.

I'm not protecting him. He did put all his eggs in the AZ basket, after all, but the facts are the facts. :shrug:
But I am sure a certain hyperpartisan "Wonder from Downunder" wouldn't see it that way. :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:08 pm

Nades wrote:
Perhaps is now about the time Australians should consider discrimination against their own police officers should they decide to act on this idiotic legislation?

I was thinking. Perhaps a new price of a loaf of bread being set at $50 for police? Doubling of rent for police? Refused admission into pubs and bars? Any wayward police will soon fall in line.

In *most* cases, police are simply following orders, mein Herr. 8)
You really have to target the Premiers of the states. 8O

And one more thing,

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:10 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Yet people here want to complain about being asked to where masks … if people could keep the virus under control by wearing masks and choosing social distancing, there won’t any reason to go nuts with ideas like this.

That's an interesting way to blame the victims here, the people wouldn't do what the politicians wanted, so it's their fault the politicians had to do this to them?

I tend to agree with our progressive lady friend.
"Personal responsibility." 8)

And one more thing,

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm

Nades wrote:
I think the ironic aspect of Australian lockdowns is that they actually hamper immunity. More behaviour like your neighbors from time to time might have given the population some degree of resistance to the virus by now provided they don't go nuts and overwhelm the hospitals. Australia needs to allow a controlled spread along with a less p**s poor vaccine rollout........i.

The lockdowns are in accordance with epidemiological best practice, the premise is to prevent overloading hospitals with cases and reducing the risk of death.

There is, however, the issue of economic, social and mental health decline. A lot of people are without jobs, struggling to pay bills to keep the house warm.

Striking a balance between the two is a hard job. What has hampered Australia is accessing vaccines so that we can at least go back to some sense of normality.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:14 pm

chaosmos wrote:
This entirely Orwellian and totalitarian system has been functioning for the past 18 months in Western Australia. My parents who moved back west from Victoria at the height of the Victorian lock down last year had to apply for a Good to Go pass via an app, have COVID swabs upon arrival in the state and regularly take photos of themselves at home and upload it to the Good to Go app. They also had to complete a swab at the end of their 2 week quarantine period. The police also did a drive by whilst on the phone to them to ensure they were quarantining where they said they were.

It’s absolutely nuts here.

It is a proven vote winner.
Palache, our least competent Premier, can owe her election win on the pandemic.
Lucky *****. :mrgreen:

And one more thing,