Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 4:46 am

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... e-00012340

Quote:
Reynolds: Do you really think he’ll use a nuclear weapon?

Hill: The thing about Putin is, if he has an instrument, he wants to use it. Why have it if you can’t? He’s already used a nuclear weapon in some respects. Russian operatives poisoned Alexander Litvinenko with radioactive polonium and turned him into a human dirty bomb and polonium was spread all around London at every spot that poor man visited. He died a horrible death as a result.

The Russians have already used a weapons-grade nerve agent, Novichok. They’ve used it possibly several times, but for certain twice. Once in Salisbury, England, where it was rubbed all over the doorknob of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, who actually didn’t die; but the nerve agent contaminated the city of Salisbury, and anybody else who came into contact with it got sickened. Novichok killed a British citizen, Dawn Sturgess, because the assassins stored it in a perfume bottle which was discarded into a charity donation box where it was found by Sturgess and her partner. There was enough nerve agent in that bottle to kill several thousand people. The second time was in Alexander Navalny’s underpants.

So if anybody thinks that Putin wouldn’t use something that he’s got that is unusual and cruel, think again. Every time you think, “No, he wouldn’t, would he?” Well, yes, he would. And he wants us to know that, of course.

It’s not that we should be intimidated and scared. That’s exactly what he wants us to be. We have to prepare for those contingencies and figure out what is it that we’re going to do to head them off.

Quote:
Reynolds: So, similar to Hitler, he’s using a sense of massive historical grievance combined with a veneer of protecting Russians and a dismissal of the rights of minorities and other nations to have independent countries in order to fuel territorial ambitions?

Hill: Correct. And he’s blaming others, for why this has happened, and getting us to blame ourselves.

If people look back to the history of World War II, there were an awful lot of people around Europe who became Nazi German sympathizers before the invasion of Poland. In the United Kingdom, there was a whole host of British politicians who admired Hitler’s strength and his power, for doing what Great Powers do, before the horrors of the Blitz and the Holocaust finally penetrated.

ome here to get the Block functionality for Wrongplanet:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=390645

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 05 Mar 2022, 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 4:49 am

Thanks, I hate it..lol

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 4:54 am

Having had practically unlimited power, getting old and dying, having not played with all the toys?

Gotta understand the temptation. :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:07 am

I love it when people on WP don't seem one bit bothered (anxious) about such terrifying things.

I knew all along that he will use his super powerful missiles and bombs that are waiting to be fired with a simple press of a button. Why have these nuclear weapons if he's not going to ever use them? They must cost a bomb (pun not intended). It's so scary. This thread has just started my anxiety up again. :(

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
I love it when people on WP don't seem one bit bothered (anxious) about such terrifying things.

Nihilistic sarcasm. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2022, 5:16 am

Luckily, it's not "just a press of a button". It's rather complex process involving a lot of other people.
So, yes, he would - the hope is, others wouldn't cooperate.

If a nuke falls on me, there's nothing I can do.
But I can help a tiny bit with refugee situation, which would have been way worse and more dangerous if regular people like me didn't cooperate.
It's healthier to focus on things one can do, even if tiny.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:25 am

Joe90 wrote:

I knew all along that he will use his super powerful missiles and bombs that are waiting to be fired with a simple press of a button. Why have these nuclear weapons if he's not going to ever use them? They must cost a bomb (pun not intended). It's so scary. This thread has just started my anxiety up again. :(

Ha, I am terrified as hell about the risk putin has created but the laughing helps keep the insanity away. LIke Putin has made it clear he's a nuclear risk it's freaking terrible like this s**t could become ww3 so yeah I am worried, but i still need a laugh here and there, it can help ward off the insanity a little.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:30 am

Well, I haven't changed my view.
If pootin used a nuclear weapon as an attack, "You can call me Meyer". :mrgreen:
If Russia or its forces itself was attacked by NATO, all bets are off.

In my mind, it is all bluff and bluster.
Threatening a nuclear strike is not the same as initiating a nuclear strike, the last time I looked. 8)

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2022, 5:31 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Ha, I am terrified as hell about the risk putin has created but the laughing helps keep the insanity away. LIke Putin has made it clear he's a nuclear risk it's freaking terrible like this s**t could become ww3 so yeah I am worried, but i still need a laugh here and there, it can help ward off the insanity a little.

Even more here and yet even more in Ukraine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:40 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

This is what I find maddening.
People not understanding the power of humour to cope with anxiety.

It is not a new "invention", and I have had this discussion not that long ago.
Dark war humour was/is common.
Do I have to drag out the examples again for the ignorant? :roll:

BTW, "Geniese den Krieg, denn der Frieden wird furchtbar sein...Enjoy the war, because the peace will be terrible." 8)

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Glory to Ukraine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:44 am

Joe90 wrote:

Serenity Prayer:
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". 8)

And one more thing,

Glory to Ukraine.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 5:56 am

magz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Even more here and yet even more in Ukraine.

Of course it is worse for people closer in proximity, but if he sets off nukes that radation and stuff could spread but also just the mass destruction in the area I don;t want to see half of europe blown up and radiate. I realise i the U.S it is further away and may not be effected as badly but I don't just care about me...I don;t want to see people nuked not any people but seems that is what things could come to and it's worrying. Nuclear war would be a problem for everyone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 6:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I remember one time on WP when a lot of people were against the use of patterned face masks because they thought it was turning a serious disease into a clothing fashion and so wasn't taking the pandemic seriously. Not that I agreed with those people.

I usually try to see humour in things but WW3 is just too frightening for me to find jokes about it. People are going to die. Or worse, suffer severe radiation poisoning, which is a 100% death sentence and a slow painful death, much worse than covid. It could be you. Even humour doesn't relax me with this world crisis, I'm sh*****g myself.

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 6:05 am

Pepe wrote:
Well, I haven't changed my view.
If pootin used a nuclear weapon as an attack, "You can call me Meyer". :mrgreen:
If Russia or its forces itself was attacked by NATO, all bets are off.)

You written a will yet?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2022, 6:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I remember one time on WP when a lot of people were against the use of patterned face masks because they thought it was turning a serious disease into a clothing fashion and so wasn't taking the pandemic seriously. Not that I agreed with those people.

I usually try to see humour in things but WW3 is just too frightening for me to find jokes about it. People are going to die. Or worse, suffer severe radiation poisoning, which is a 100% death sentence and a slow painful death, much worse than covid. It could be you. Even humour doesn't relax me with this world crisis, I'm sh*****g myself.

That makes sense, but still I feel I need to seek out comedy on it because otherwise I feel terrible stiff muscles and I cant relax and always on edge........Idk even the comedy doesn;t help as much as i'd like. I didn't know my adulthood would be climate catastrophe and potential ww3 and to be real I honestly don't know how to deal with it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2022, 6:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Of course it is worse for people closer in proximity, but if he sets off nukes that radation and stuff could spread but also just the mass destruction in the area I don;t want to see half of europe blown up and radiate. I realise i the U.S it is further away and may not be effected as badly but I don't just care about me...I don;t want to see people nuked not any people but seems that is what things could come to and it's worrying. Nuclear war would be a problem for everyone.

I mean need for humor increases with proximity... Polish Internet is pretty a meme feast right now and Ukrainian jokes are circulating along with extremely serious content.
That's how we're protecting our sanity.