Black Churches destroyed by arson attack rebuilding

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 3:00 am

3 Black churches rebuilding in Louisiana after 2019 arson

Quote:
Three years after an arsonist torched three small Black Baptist churches in rural Louisiana, rebuilding is well under way.

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Opelousas is months from reopening, with visible progress at St. Mary Baptist Church in Port Barre and Greater Union Baptist Church in Opelousas, The Daily World reported.

“We began in a dark moment, but it’s getting brighter and brighter every day,” said the Rev. Gerald Toussaint of Mount Pleasant. “Now it’s a bright day as we’re looking forward to being back together in the church.”

A would-be “black metal” musician pleaded guilty in 2020, saying he set fire to the churches in late March and early April 2019 to promote himself in the heavy metal subgenre. Holden Matthews is serving simultaneous 25-year federal and state sentences in federal prison.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

22 Apr 2022, 7:02 pm

It's good that those churches are being rebuilt. They should make the arsonists do a lot of the work.

Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 2:57 am

The perp sounds like a genuine loon.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 8:11 pm

Are these the same as the spate of vandalism that took place on black churches after Dillon Roof's mass murder?

That wasn't front page news at the time as the FBI didn't want to give publicity to the perps.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Are these the same as the spate of vandalism that took place on black churches after Dillon Roof's mass murder?

That wasn't front page news at the time as the FBI didn't want to give publicity to the perps.

4 years after Dylan Roof.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman