Page 20 of 23 [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,754
Location: Australia

28 May 2022, 7:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone -
Again, if a black person calls another black person who works against other black people on the part of white supremacists, then it isn't racism. "Coming together" has to do with mutual respect and equality, which people like Elder doesn't offer to other blacks. Hence is the reason why he's called an "Uncle Tom."


If you aren't a POC, don't use the term.
It is a start.
Simples. 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,547
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

28 May 2022, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Look, the U.S. has an epidemic of mass shootings going on. We must confront that together as a nation. So, how about we stop the scapegoating? I don’t know what’s happened to Republican leadership, why they won’t face up to gun violence, but I can see something clearly. They keep demonizing LGBTQ people. Because that’s apparently easier than tackling tough problems.


The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism. The left certainly isn't perfect and there are lots of different leftist ideas/ideologies and such. Some lefties don't vote, and it makes me angry I do try to encourage leftists to vote on reddit even got banned from a leftist/socialist subreddit for complaining about people not voting. Idk my post was a little overboard so I apologized and got unbanned but then unfollowed it anyways because i didn't like what I was seeing on there. So yeah as a leftist I certainly don't agree with every other leftist, there are some really crappy leftist groups for sure.

But yeah at this point republicans are fascist and the democrats aren't but they also aren't really doing much to stop it but they also don't stand as much in the way of progress as republicans do...so it's the better party to vote for. To spell it out the republicans won't stop scapegoating, their leadership will not try to reign in the more extreme side of their party, they won't face up to gun violence or anything else. They'll blame it on the poor and minorities or really any group that is easier to target. While rallying up their supporters to be united in hatred.


_________________
We won't go back.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,754
Location: Australia

28 May 2022, 7:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism.


<sigh>
Here we go again. 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,547
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

28 May 2022, 8:08 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism.


<sigh>
Here we go again. 8)


Well it is the truth, you literally cannot reason with fascism.


_________________
We won't go back.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,754
Location: Australia

28 May 2022, 8:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism.


<sigh>
Here we go again. 8)


Well it is the truth, you literally cannot reason with fascism.


I was sighing about your belief of all republican leadership are fascists, and by extension, all those who vote for fascists are fascists also.
I was hoping this dehumanising tactic was dead and buried after the democrats gained government.


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,



Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.


kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2016
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,473
Location: Missouri

28 May 2022, 8:56 pm

Opinion
We Can't Leave School Safety In Hands Of Legislators Who Don’t Understand The Plight Of Educators And Students
This massacre should be the last reminder we need to make the necessary changes to ensure school safety.
by Shareefah Mason
May 27, 2022 at 11:28 am
https://blavity.com/school-safety-legis ... ion&item=1

"
Obviously I wasn’t at the school, but as a former State of Texas Master Teacher in Dallas’ South Oak Cliff neighborhood (one of its most impoverished areas) I have sat through many lockdowns with my students — and it is immensely debilitating. In seconds your whole life is flashing before your eyes. You and your students are moving in a fury to push desks and chairs to the door to create an obstruction, praying you’ll make it challenging for an intruder to injure or kill anyone in the room. Teachers are trying to prevent students from alerting their parents, to avoid more chaos than parents can understand in the moment. And wonder what the impact will be on the people you might leave behind if caught in the line of fire.

I’m writing these words because everyone needs to sit with this excruciating pain and truly understand this incident from the perspective of those that have endured this scenario before. We must recognize the importance of making significant legislative changes in our society. We cannot continue to wait to design and implement impactful school reform. The Uvalde, Texas, community is reeling because our lawmakers have not been intentional about passing legislation that will make it extremely challenging to ever shake our country like this again.
"
...

"
This year has been coined “The Great Migration,” in education. Teachers are leaving classrooms in droves across the United States. Please understand that the Robb Elementary School slayings just added even more teachers to the migration list because they are now in survival mode. No one wants to continue to work in a profession that doesn’t pay them well, secure them properly or provide the necessary mental health resources for them and their students.

Teachers and students deserve justice and it is up to us as a society to be a part of designing and implementing the justice necessary. We cannot leave the safety of schools in the hands of legislators who don’t commit the time to understand the plight of educators and students in America.

For those of you who refuse to let these brave children and teachers simply become hashtags and want to make real change, here’s what we can do: ...
"


_________________
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,358

28 May 2022, 9:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism.


Only correction I would make is that they are "neo-fascists" or what some the "fine folks" (according to Trump) refer to themselves as the "alt-right". Anyone disagree please refer to Trump's main political strategist Steve Bannon's resume.

It would seem a good proportion of the republican leadership are beholden to their electorate who seem quite enamoured with far right conspiracies.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,358

28 May 2022, 9:17 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
This is complete hogwash. There are plenty of amazing black cops, they aren't going to go in with guns blazing any more or less if the shooter was black..


None of the Ulvade cops were black and Ulvade has got a lower proportion of black people (0.3%) than virtually any part of the US which means it was a Texas sundown town back in the day.



Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,885
Location: Everville

28 May 2022, 10:52 pm

It sounds legitimate, but it's NOT happening NOW. What IS happening NOW? We can wait until your solution comes to pass, but that won't do vulnerable children any good NOW.

Guns have been synonymous with this country's inception, voter rights have not. A woman could shoot the s**t out of someone long before she was given the right to vote. I'm still waiting for someone with an ounce of reality to offer up a viable solution on here. Mine is put armed veterans, citizens (that haven't been in a looney bin, or otherwise impaired) into our schools until a better alternative can be found.[/quote]

As a matter of fact, votes have always had much more of a positive effect in out country than guns. Governance is accomplished through voting, not by shooting. That woman who shot someone to death prior to being able to vote would have faced her day in court for it. Short of the American revolution, every violent incident involving fire arms over peaceful procedure (the Whiskey Rebellion, the Civil War) all ended with the armed perpetrators defeated by elected government. But it's been peaceful activism and through the vote, or the demand for the vote (civil rights, labor rights, women's suffrage) that's always had success in the long run. In our system of government, and in our civil society, my vote is mightier than your gun.
I wasn't talking about defending one's children from gun wielding maniacs, but about the right's agenda of promoting guns by suppressing the vote among select groups.[/quote]


That's NOT what I said and you know it. I was not implying that the woman wouldn't face charges if she killed someone in cold blood, I am implying the she was able to have the right to defend herself with a gun long before she was given the right to defend herself with a vote. Voter's rights have evolved very slowly in the US, not so with gun rights.

When you can stop pretending that you don't understand what I'm saying then respond. You're a know it all who only pretends not to understand when it's convenient.


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.


Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,885
Location: Everville

28 May 2022, 10:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
This is complete hogwash. There are plenty of amazing black cops, they aren't going to go in with guns blazing any more or less if the shooter was black..


None of the Ulvade cops were black and Ulvade has got a lower proportion of black people (0.3%) than virtually any part of the US which means it was a Texas sundown town back in the day.



This is not "back in the day." Who cares what color the cops were in Uvalde, there are plenty of good cops to be found. There is a large Hispanic population, is that not dark skinned enough to suit your racist agenda for everything? You've latched on to one statement, what about the rest? You have nothing to say about anything else except your typical "white man bad" mantra?


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,358

28 May 2022, 10:57 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone with an ounce of reality to offer up a viable solution on here. Mine is put armed veterans, citizens (that haven't been in a looney bin, or otherwise impaired) into our schools until a better alternative can be found.


That has already been addressed in black urban schools where shootings have been rife for 30-40 years and doesn't raise so much as a blip on the media (I wonder why) where barbed wire fences and electronic metal detectors/screening has been used to protect kids.

If the NRA has their way (and let's not kid ourselves the loony right run America so they will) then all schools in America will have to deploy barbed wire around schools and metal detectors.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,358

28 May 2022, 10:59 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
This is complete hogwash. There are plenty of amazing black cops, they aren't going to go in with guns blazing any more or less if the shooter was black..


None of the Ulvade cops were black and Ulvade has got a lower proportion of black people (0.3%) than virtually any part of the US which means it was a Texas sundown town back in the day.



This is not "back in the day." Who cares what color the cops were in Uvalde, there are plenty of good cops to be found. There is a large Hispanic population, is that not dark skinned enough to suit your racist agenda for everything? You've latched on to one statement, what about the rest? You have nothing to say about anything else except your typical "white man bad" mantra?


The thread of race permeates American society like a toxic residue that remains radioactive. You may like to ignore it exists but that doesn't mean other people don't notice or experience it.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,979
Location: Abbottistan

28 May 2022, 11:20 pm

And on top of that, Abbott considers weed and dick pics to be far more serious problems than mass shootings.



Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
Location: Melbourne, Australia

28 May 2022, 11:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone -
Again, if a black person calls another black person who works against other black people on the part of white supremacists, then it isn't racism. "Coming together" has to do with mutual respect and equality, which people like Elder doesn't offer to other blacks. Hence is the reason why he's called an "Uncle Tom."

How should people interpret the above statement:
* That "black people" are some homogeneous group, where individualism is not\should not be permitted?
* That "black people" are not permitted to think for themselves, or have their own opinions on things that affect their lives and their communities, instead following the directions of their "masters" who "know what is best for them"?
* That anyone who seeks to put forward alternative ways to help "black people" is working "on the part of white supremacists", despite things having changed little for them under present methods used to "help" them (insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results)?
* That "coming together" means sacrificing the ability for a person to think for themselves, or make observations of what they see as being wrong (or could be done differently\better another way), and instead joining a form of "group think"?
* That "mutual respect" does not include respect for people who don't have the same views\beliefs\opinions as the "group" holds?



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,033
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

28 May 2022, 11:41 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
It sounds legitimate, but it's NOT happening NOW. What IS happening NOW? We can wait until your solution comes to pass, but that won't do vulnerable children any good NOW.

Guns have been synonymous with this country's inception, voter rights have not. A woman could shoot the s**t out of someone long before she was given the right to vote. I'm still waiting for someone with an ounce of reality to offer up a viable solution on here. Mine is put armed veterans, citizens (that haven't been in a looney bin, or otherwise impaired) into our schools until a better alternative can be found.


As a matter of fact, votes have always had much more of a positive effect in out country than guns. Governance is accomplished through voting, not by shooting. That woman who shot someone to death prior to being able to vote would have faced her day in court for it. Short of the American revolution, every violent incident involving fire arms over peaceful procedure (the Whiskey Rebellion, the Civil War) all ended with the armed perpetrators defeated by elected government. But it's been peaceful activism and through the vote, or the demand for the vote (civil rights, labor rights, women's suffrage) that's always had success in the long run. In our system of government, and in our civil society, my vote is mightier than your gun.
I wasn't talking about defending one's children from gun wielding maniacs, but about the right's agenda of promoting guns by suppressing the vote among select groups.[/quote]


That's NOT what I said and you know it. I was not implying that the woman wouldn't face charges if she killed someone in cold blood, I am implying the she was able to have the right to defend herself with a gun long before she was given the right to defend herself with a vote. Voter's rights have evolved very slowly in the US, not so with gun rights.

When you can stop pretending that you don't understand what I'm saying then respond. You're a know it all who only pretends not to understand when it's convenient.[/quote]

As a matter of fact, I did misunderstand your point, as I think you had initially misunderstood mine. I wasn't talking about self defense, but how the right puts much more emphasis on gun rights than they do for voting rights. So, yes, by all means that hypothetical woman has the right to defend herself. But that hadn't been the point of my post that you had first responded to.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 33,547
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

28 May 2022, 11:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The republican leadership are fascists, you can't reason with fascism.


<sigh>
Here we go again. 8)


Well it is the truth, you literally cannot reason with fascism.


I was sighing about your belief of all republican leadership are fascists, and by extension, all those who vote for fascists are fascists also.
I was hoping this dehumanising tactic was dead and buried after the democrats gained government.


Are fascists not humans? I don't say they are fascist to imply they aren't human that would be nonsense. they are fascist because they want to deny bodily autonomy, oppress minorities and the poor all for power and greed and to feed the capitalist system(things humans are capable of doing). Fascism does work really well with capitalism when it comes to profit, wrote an essay on it in school because I found it fascinating and they said to write about the most profitable system. So I explained how combining fascism and capitalism was probably the most financially productive system. But of course it leaves out the general unhappiness of people that would live in such a system.


_________________
We won't go back.