Dr. Phil Special: Parents' Ultimate Test Dealing with Autism

Page 2 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

teribennett7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2007, 9:41 am

My son is now 16, he is one of 7 sons, the only one with Autism, yes I do believe the vaccine to be at fault I literally watched my son "disappear". He too has has episodes of rage, mutlple personalities, wanting to kill the one in himself he didin't like. I was forced by the school to take him to a psychiatrist. Since doing to in Feb of 07 he has been on 2mg of Risperdal and 2 2mg Xanax a day in order to control these episodes, he is much calmer, though I prefer to use the Xanax as needed rather than all the time. His episodes have decreased, over the next year we will begin reducing the dosage to 1mg a day and then every other day as we do not want to keep him on it forever. At 16, his body has changed, he has just learned to shave himself. He is very aware that he is different than everyone else, he is able to tell me this. I didn't think that the segment on Dr Phil with respect to autistic people was very well portrayed. I too have a husband that has to work to support our large family, I have had to learn to attain my own coping mechanisms and they do not include addiction to exercise alcohol, mostly outreach. The best place to be in this situation is with others in your community that are experiencing the same things. Try your schools Best Buddies programs; get involved with your districts Special Education Advisory Council. Stay informed!! Protect your child. We will always have our son with us we know that but he does have 6 siblings that can and will provide for his care if something should happen to us. Since diagnosis 12 years ago, it is something that we have all had to make adjustments for, just like any other disability, mental or physical. Dr Phil really didn't give out all the many organizations that can and will help the parents of children with disabilities in the country. I guess thats why we are all here on wrongplanet.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 1:41 pm

well, carcass is a great word. i am suprised more kids don't go around wanting to eat carcasses. i want to eat one now just saying it. carcass. carcass. carcass.

if i had a kid and they wanted to eat my carcass, i would laugh my butt off. the use of the word carcass would reassure me that my kid was awesome, and i would only start to worry if he was saying something boring or run of the mill, like "i want to eat dead mommy."

after i stopped laughing, i would try to figure out how to be a good-carcass and not get eaten.

i don't know, but he has probably picked up on the fact that this "mommy" nutter is the person getting in the way of all his fun, so it makes sense to either kill her or become a legal adult millionaire as soon as possible.

now, mommy isn't picking up on this, so perhaps she speaks Dog, so barking sounds like a great thing to try. (Sadly, not all b*****s speak dog.) I would think that if the barking isn't getting through, he will next have to become a mean, rabid-dog and eat her carcass, and he is trying to warn her to leave him alone.

rabid dogs, wolves, lions, big predators are given a wide berth if they start to growl or look hungry. so this logical kid is just trying to be an animal to get people (and mommy DEER-est) to behave properly, but kids that SCREAM and SCREAM and bark and scream do not ever get the space and freedom of a lion, just a cage at the zoo. :(

i'm rooting for the kid. maybe he'll get lucky. i will imagine a poetic ending where he tears her throat out and then lopes off into the woods, never to be found, and lives the rest of his life happily raised by wolves.

Kaine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Dec 2007, 1:55 pm

Oh cmon now. And I thought fox's headline of "Deadly Disorder?" was bad enough. Thanks a lot Dr. Phil. Way to raise awareness for this dangerous mental disorder that makes kids want to kill their own parents.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 3:12 pm

alex wrote:
Saw this on his website. I haven't seen any of the clips from the show but it looks like another really bad segment about Autism from Dr. Phil.

Quote:
"Child on the Verge?

Ten-year-old Luz throws screaming tantrums, barks like a dog and tells his mother, Sara, that he plans to kill her. Sara has long felt despair at Luz’s out-of-control behavior, yet she was shocked when he was diagnosed with autism.

"My mom is dead. I'm going to eat her carcass."

http://drphil.com/shows/show/974/

He also links to "asperger warning signs" from the show entitled "extreme disorders"

http://drphil.com/articles/article/497

Here's another quote describing the show:

Quote:
Dr. Phil tells the couple that the divorce rate among parents with autistic children is about 86 percent. “Why do you suppose that is?” he asks.

Wow, great job Dr. Phil. :roll:

I really hate Dr. Phil. He is going to basically sensationalize autism and AS, and make them seem like the worst thing that can happen to a human being or their family. Sad. It just perpetuates misinformation and negative stereotypes to his legions of brainless fans, who will now go around talking about autism and AS like they are experts. :roll:

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 3:33 pm

Anyone see it? I missed it on purpose.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Dr. Phil tells the couple that the divorce rate among parents with autistic children is about 86 percent. “Why do you suppose that is?” he asks.

You have to understand why he posed the question in the first place. The couple would not discuss the issue facing them. The father was a workaholic who was rarely home, the mother, when the father did come home, would leave the father to raise the kids while she jogged for hours. There was little intimacy or any semblance of closeness in the relationship. He was simply stating rhetorically that to ignore the problem and instead, just to leave, will lead to divorce. Most people aren't equipped to handle an issue like this.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 4:00 pm

completely beside the point...

777 wrote:
You have to understand

...but this is on my list of most hated phrases.

first, no, i do not.

and second, i usually already DO understand exactly what they have to say.

and third, the other person usually misses the irony in this.

CARCASS.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 4:08 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:

777 wrote:
You have to understand

first, no, i do not.

CARCASS.

:lol:

Wait a minute, that's not name-calling, is it? We don't do name-calling.

:)

- Emerson

Weirdobird
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 4:11 pm

UGH!

Sadly, the media is not interested in solutions but sensationalism.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 4:15 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:

777 wrote:
You have to understand

first, no, i do not.

CARCASS.

Well if you didn't see the show, you can't pass judgment on one particular question when you have no idea why he asked it.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 4:42 pm

MrMark wrote:
Wait a minute, that's not name-calling, is it? We don't do name-calling.

:)

???

I didn't call anyone a name. i didn't even have a problem with his post, i said it was not related, just that that phrase bugs me. then i wanted to get back on track to carcasses. like my above post explains. the phrase in general makes me want to eat carcasses left and right, but i have no beef with 777. or deer. or any other potential carcass meats. i am just releasing my inner echolalia... CARCASS!! !

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 4:48 pm

777 wrote:

Well if you didn't see the show, you can't pass judgment on one particular question when you have no idea why he asked it.

ahh. but one CAN pass judgement regardless of facts/truth/knowledge/etc., and most people do.
it is not impossible at all.
i did not see the show, but i was quite happy making up my own story and happy ending, and no, i don't really care what the real story is, because it is probably sad, and i prefer my ending of wolf-boy-happiness and yummy carcasses.

:D

(but yes, what you had to say was well stated and relevant to the discussion.)

Niek
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2007, 5:19 pm

Autism Speaks a partner of Dr.Phil eh? Oh dear.

Dr.Phil Advice: Autism Early Warning Signs

Quote:
For more warning signs of autism, please visit:

* Autism Society of America
* AutismSpeaks.org
* Special Needs Network

>_<

Well atleast they shown on the site that with early intervention it isn't that bad at all. I don't see that alot in the media of my country...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 5:43 pm

Simple easy solution to this, right?

Fire makes things dead.

Therefore kill it with fire.

But seriously, I think Dr Phil is an arrogant mouth-breathing arse with a stupid Appalachian accent (and apologies to anyone on WP who actually has this accent) and does not actually take his time to consider his judgements.

I mean, for God's sake, Tom Baker (of Doctor Who fame) wanted a bomb to drop on his mother. Why? This was Liverpool in the 1940's during WWII, and those orphaned by the war often got nice gifts. When asked what he wanted to be when he grew up by his teacher, he said an orphan, and explained his reasons. He was promptly told to report to the school priest and confess that he wanted to be a murderer!

On sabbatical...

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 6:44 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
777 wrote:

ahh. but one CAN pass judgement regardless of facts/truth/knowledge/etc., and most people do.
it is not impossible at all.
i did not see the show, but i was quite happy making up my own story and happy ending, and no, i don't really care what the real story is, because it is probably sad, and i prefer my ending of wolf-boy-happiness and yummy carcasses.

:D

(but yes, what you had to say was well stated and relevant to the discussion.)

I didn't say it was impossible. Would a judge give a verdict before he heard the facts? Would a mom punish her kid before he did any wrong?

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 7:46 pm

I didn't see the show, nor do I plan to, but I still say if the child is acting out like that then it's most likely due to poor parenting rather than autism itself.