Dr. Phil Special: Parents' Ultimate Test Dealing with Autism

Page 3 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 7:52 pm

777 wrote:

I didn't say it was impossible. Would a judge give a verdict before he heard the facts? Would a mom punish her kid before he did any wrong?

can't=impossible. and you said can't. cannot be done. so that is wrong becuse of course it CAN.

you are also confusing would with should. because no, they should not. but some judges and moms still DO. there are plenty of crazy moms and jugdes that do all kinds of things.

i shan't despair of you yet. but you make a lot of incorrect assumptions.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 8:06 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
wolf-boy-happiness and yummy carcasses.

Can I get that on a T-shirt? :)

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Dec 2007, 8:13 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
wolf-boy-happiness and yummy carcasses.

Can I get that on a T-shirt? :)

:D :D :D

thanks for noticing the nice ring it has to it.

i think it would make an excellent t-shirt. you should make one!

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 9:37 pm

I normally really like Dr. Phil...this episode is showing tonight(the 20th)? If it is I'm probably going to watch it.

Also, when I first read the quote "My Mom is dead and I'm going to eat her carcass." I probably laughed way too hard.

Edit- Well it's clearly not on tonight...it was the Christmas giveaway show or whatever. I'll probably end up forgetting about the episode by the time it actually airs. At any rate, if this child is dead set on killing his mother. I doubt the only thing going on is Autism.

Last edited by missboots on 20 Dec 2007, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 10:57 pm

Bad parents are more likely to have out-of-control kids, autistic or not. And of course the divorce rate is higher among bad parents--they have no coping skills.
Not to take ol' Phil seriously, or anything. :P

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2007, 4:29 am

watched it. Wasn't impressed. The father works 80 hours a week and leaves the mother there.

I noticed when video taping the son screaming, he went to turn off the tv. Almost as if it was turned on knowing he would scream.

The son could be missing his father.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

21 Dec 2007, 5:00 am

f**k him.
f**k him for sensationalising things, only showing the worst case-scenario, and making all of us be seen as even worse freaks than we already are.
f**k him for his question about divorce, which most people, as he knows very well, will think is rhetorical and really means "it's because of the autistic child". (My father used to blame me for his and my mother's arguments. No child should be told that the conflict between their parents is their fault.)

f**k anyone who wants to demonize me and people like me to boost their ratings.
I'm not broken.
I'm not a train wreck.
I'm not a trial.
I'm not empty.
f**k anyone who thinks or says that I am.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 12:54 pm

I wonder whatever happened to Can CAN?
(Can Cure Autism Now, a webring for people
who oppose people who want a "cure" for Autism
Spectrum Disorders). I'd proudly support it at the expense
of Dr. Phil.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 2:23 pm

I'd like to go on Dr. Phil with my problem-- people like him who slander me and generalize and slander people like me! Maybe he'll have a solution to my problem.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 2:58 pm

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
I wonder whatever happened to Can CAN?
(Can Cure Autism Now, a webring for people
who oppose people who want a "cure" for Autism
Spectrum Disorders). I'd proudly support it at the expense
of Dr. Phil.

Well, CAN itself merged with Autism Speaks, so it doesn't exist in name any longer.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 4:18 pm

Can CAN ring

I just found this. This is the protest webring against curebies. CAN most certainly does still exist in name, it's in a partnership with Autism Speaks-it hasn't been dissolved.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 4:36 pm

Beau99, KimJ:

KimJ wrote:
Can CAN ring

I just found this. This is the protest webring against curebies. CAN most certainly does still exist in name, it's in a partnership with Autism Speaks-it hasn't been dissolved.

Thanks for letting me know about the fate of Can CAN. The point of my remark was
that I oppose the idea of a "cure" for autism because I find the patient's/client's role
in recovering from autism is a valuable part of building that person's character. Any cure
for autism would take away from that voluntarism, that experience of struggle, that
feeling of accomplishment as we go through life.

Yours thankfully,
Doug

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2007, 4:52 pm

i_Am_andaJoy wrote:
777 wrote:

I didn't say it was impossible. Would a judge give a verdict before he heard the facts? Would a mom punish her kid before he did any wrong?

can't=impossible. and you said can't. cannot be done. so that is wrong becuse of course it CAN.

you are also confusing would with should. because no, they should not. but some judges and moms still DO. there are plenty of crazy moms and jugdes that do all kinds of things.

i shan't despair of you yet. but you make a lot of incorrect assumptions.

You misread. I don't deny that it does happen, but my language was misleading. A judge should never pass judgment without first hearing the facts and I don't believe you should make any judgment based on a presumption without first understanding the context something was said in. But go ahead. The wise will see that I am correct and you hastily pass judgment.

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:42 pm

I thought, as an Aspie, it is my duty to be fair to Doctor Phil, so I just mailed him the following challenge, let's see if he can rise to it?

Hi,

Over time Dr Phil has done one hell of a job on people with Asperger Syndrome, presenting with the syndrome in the most negative possible light and not even acknowledging the existence of adults with AS as equals, capable of self definition, and, with a little understanding, capable of being as useful, functional and responsible members of society as anyone else, and perhaps more than many.

Would Dr Phil be prepared to rise to the challenge of a show presenting adults with AS, as the responsible, intelligent adults we are, with as much of our abilities as our limitations, and trying to explorer some of the options available to us in terms of finding ways to integrate and be compatible with the truly "wrong planet" we have been born on?

M

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Dec 2007, 12:06 am

777 wrote:
You misread. I don't deny that it does happen, but my language was misleading. A judge should never pass judgment without first hearing the facts and I don't believe you should make any judgment based on a presumption without first understanding the context something was said in. But go ahead. The wise will see that I am correct and you hastily pass judgment.

if you write something idiotic, then no, i do not misread, you mis-write. that was my whole point. and if you had paid attention and read the post, you would know that i did not say anything at all about the quote you go on about. so you are talking about some unmade, hypothetical judgement, because i didn't express ANY opinion about the divorce quote. you bore me. the-end.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 5:18 am

That's a good letter mechanima, you should send it. Though it doesn't have that out-of-control drama that Phil thrives on, so I doubt he would seriously invite Aspies onto his show to highlight the positives. :?