Have You Ever Watched TV with Earbuds?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,953
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

17 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

What I mean is, have you ever plugged earbuds / headphones into the TV, and then listened to the TV through them?

Was it a strange sensation----like, was it difficult for you to realize, or "match-up", or correlate, or whatever, that the sound in your ears, was the sound to what you were watching?









_________________
White female; age 59; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 714

17 Jul 2015, 8:51 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
What I mean is, have you ever plugged earbuds / headphones into the TV, and then listened to the TV through them?

Yes.

Campin_Cat wrote:
Was it a strange sensation----like, was it difficult for you to realize, or "match-up", or correlate, or whatever, that the sound in your ears, was the sound to what you were watching?

No...?



animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,207
Location: Somewhere

17 Jul 2015, 10:01 pm

Yes, I have. No, it wasn't strange.

It is strange when there is a delay between audio and video (the audio is slightly ahead or slightly behind the video) -- ever since I was a kid that has bothered me/thrown me off. Is the strangeness you experience similar to that?


_________________
"Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving." -- Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

Love transcends all.


Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,953
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

18 Jul 2015, 5:54 am

animalcrackers wrote:
Yes, I have. No, it wasn't strange.

It is strange when there is a delay between audio and video (the audio is slightly ahead or slightly behind the video) -- ever since I was a kid that has bothered me/thrown me off. Is the strangeness you experience similar to that?

Oh, yeah----I know what you mean----that happens several times a week on PBS, and it drives me NUTS!!

This sensation is different. It's just weird that the sound is "over here" (where I'm sitting, with the headphones, on), and the people making the sound are "over there" (on the TV).





_________________
White female; age 59; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,865
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

02 Aug 2015, 5:12 pm

I usually don't wear earbuds at all unless I'm listening to music. I might have have to worry less about bothering the neighbors but I have to worry more about eardrum damage. Especially on YouTube, where they don't always warn you to turn them down first, and then there are a least 3 replies that say "RIP headphone users." or something to that effect. :P

I don't even know if my TV has a place to plug in headphones. It might not be so bad in summer when I have the AC on, but the cord is also restricting.



Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,625
Location: USA

02 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
It's just weird that the sound is "over here" (where I'm sitting, with the headphones, on), and the people making the sound are "over there" (on the TV).


Oh, ok, I understand what you mean. Yeah, it can seem odd for several minutes but then I get accustomed to it.

I may have gotten used to it in a previous career. For several years I ran audio for television productions, meaning I was in a sound control room with major pro speakers while the video monitors were like 20 feet away in another control room behind soundproof glass. In that setup one soon becomes accustomed to the major dislocation between sound and picture.