Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 14 Apr 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 60

21 Apr 2021, 2:41 am

Hi everybody!
As English is not my first language, I have some simple but important questions on words:

1) How do people "within the spectrum" name themselves? OK, I know the word neurodiverse, but maybe this word is a bit formal. Are there other words that are more "colloquial" too? I guess, that yes. ;)

2) And secondly the same question about "normal" people. Which words are used, when we talk about them? Neurotypical, I suppose. But here again, other words - more colloquial - should exist, I guess.

Thanks for helping!


User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,590
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Apr 2021, 2:59 am

From & what I've seen on this forum a lot of us use words like Autistic or Aspie/Asperger or we say the word Spectrum when defining ourselves. When talking about normal people we'll say NT or we may say something like Normal or Non-Autistics

"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill

"Hear all, trust nothing"

~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190 ... cquisition

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,781
Location: Poland

21 Apr 2021, 3:16 am

In online writing, shortcuts and acronyms are commonly used:
ASD for autism spectrum disorder (or diagnosis), AS for Asperger's Syndrome, ND for neurodiverse, NT for neurotypical.

A word for non-autistic (but not necessarily NT, e.g. including ADHD folks who are not NT) is allistic.

Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.