What happens to other variants when one becomes dominant?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 624
Location: Kent, UK

30 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm

I know not all of us here are scientists but I've sometimes wondered when a new variant like Omnicron appears and becomes dominant what happens to the other circulating variants like Delta, Beta, and Alpha ? Does it mutate and replace them and the old variants disappear ?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,552
Location: Stendec

30 Dec 2021, 4:01 pm

chris1989 wrote:
What happens to other variants when one becomes dominant?
It remains extant.



chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 624
Location: Kent, UK

30 Dec 2021, 4:31 pm

One scientist said that herd immunity may be achieved through continuous reinfection. Knowing we have all these variants does she mean being infected and reinfected by all the variants ?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,552
Location: Stendec

30 Dec 2021, 4:34 pm

chris1989 wrote:
One scientist said that herd immunity may be achieved through continuous reinfection. Knowing we have all these variants does she mean being infected and reinfected by all the variants?
Ask the scientist.  Only she knows what she meant.



txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2021
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,411
Location: US

30 Dec 2021, 4:36 pm

Once you been exposed, your body is trained to identify and expel the virus and it's variants. The vaccine mimics this same "body" training.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,980
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

30 Dec 2021, 6:46 pm

txfz1 wrote:
Once you been exposed, your body is trained to identify and expel the virus and it's variants. The vaccine mimics this same "body" training.


Yet they're not equivalent.

Google and there are a variety of results showing that unvaccinated people are multiple times more likely to get infected, spread covid, have serious illness/death, And also to get re-infected subsequent times.

Vaccination is still recommended even for those who've already had some variant of covid or another.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2021
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,411
Location: US

30 Dec 2021, 6:48 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
Once you been exposed, your body is trained to identify and expel the virus and it's variants. The vaccine mimics this same "body" training.


Yet they're not equivalent.

Google and there are a variety of results showing that unvaccinated people are multiple times more likely to get infected, spread covid, have serious illness/death, And also to get re-infected subsequent times.

Vaccination is still recommended even for those who've already had some variant of covid or another.


Never said they were equivalent.



chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Aug 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 624
Location: Kent, UK

22 Jan 2022, 12:51 pm

Sometimes I struggle to know which information is true or false. According to some studies some people say that even fully vaccinated people are getting more ill and going to hospital even I've been told that most of the time it has been the unvaccinated people mainly who have been in hospital more than the vaccinated.