Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,248
Location: UK

24 Jun 2022, 7:32 am

What sort of discussion topics do you find boring on WP, which threads do you tend to skip?

OK, I'm not writing a thread to complain and I'm not implying that the threads I find boring shouldn't be discussed or anything like that. I'm just stating what I feel and I'd like to hear how others feel about different topics too.

Disclaimer: Just because I find a certain discussion thread boring it doesn't make that topic wrong! I'm not God, and whatever I feel doesn't state as fact, it's just idle chatter. So don't take it personally if a certain discussion you started or find interesting is mentioned.

I mean, Aspies like honesty, so I thought I'd let you be honest with yourselves and each other here!

Now that we've cleared that up in the clearest possible terms, let's get to the point. Ahem. I find the "do I have autism?" threads boring and I tend to skip them, because I was diagnosed as a child I don't really remember the process of it all so I can't really help adults seeking a diagnosis.
I know this is an autism site so those threads will typically appear (read the disclaimer again before you get excited).

I'll list some more when I've seen what others have wrote. I'm just curious, that's all.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,414

24 Jun 2022, 9:12 am

When the same person makes multiple threads about the same thing with a little different title (the "I don't have a girlfriend" whining, the "this virus is ruining everything" etc. other very repetitive stuff from the same people over and over again.), that's really annoying.

I feel like even worse are the threads in L&D that attack women; those are constant. "Women have it so easy", "women can always find a partner", "women are so picky" and what not... as I've suggested before, L&D could just be renamed as "Incel Nest."



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

24 Jun 2022, 9:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
What sort of discussion topics do you find boring on WP, which threads do you tend to skip?
• Any thread in which the first post is so long that I must scroll down to read all of it

• Any thread in which the OP asks for advice on how to handle a situation for which the answer should be obvious

• Any thread in which the OP asks questions about something that happened years ago

• Any thread in which the OP expresses concern over his or her appearance

• Any thread in which the OP expresses misery over his or her diagnosis

• The "counting" threads

• The "Do I have Autism" threads

• The "Does my ________ have Autism" threads

• The "I cannot get a girlfriend" threads



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 49,562

24 Jun 2022, 9:34 am

New members saying they think their partner is autistic and a bad person.

The trifecta of ASD introspection:

1) Could I possibly be autistic?
2) My doctor doesn't think I'm autistic but I know I am
3) I'm diagnosed autistic but I know I'm not


* Not referring to you with #3 Joe.
I mean new people.
By the time everyone replies to them, they never post again.



Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 24 Jun 2022, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

24 Jun 2022, 9:36 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
New members saying they think their partner is autistic and a bad person.

The trifecta of ASD introspection:

1) Could I possibly be autistic?
2) My doctor doesn't think I'm autistic but I know I am
3) I'm diagnosed autistic but I know I'm not
• The "Aspie-dar" threads



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 49,562

24 Jun 2022, 9:38 am

The "it's easier for autistic women to date than it is for autistic men" threads.
Because you know, autistic women have vaginas and they're always in high demand.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

24 Jun 2022, 9:52 am

• Any thread in which the OP asserts a claim for which there is either no supportive evidence, or for which all relevant evidence negates or nullifies the claim.

• Threads which start out with only an image, a video, or a link, with no explanatory comments by the OP.



babybird
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 49,049
Location: UK

24 Jun 2022, 10:04 am

To be honest I scroll past most threads. And even the ones I enter I don't read properly.

For me it's not the topic or even the length of the posts. It's more to do with me not having the capacity to read through it all. That's why I very rarely join in a conversation or debate.

I don't generally find people or subject matters boring. I just get easily distracted.


_________________
We've not travelled all this way by goat to talk about your chickens. Take us to the shoemaker.


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,601
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jun 2022, 10:43 am

I tend to skip lots of threads, I mostly stick to a couple sections these days. The topics I'm most likely to find boring are intellectual discussions. Discussions about creative things like writing, reading, arts & crafts, & poetry. & Political debates where people are arguing & talking out of their a$$es. The reason why I find those really boring is cuz I'm too retarded to be an intellectual. I'm NOT creative at all & my various disabilities make those types of hobbies very difficult for me even if there wasn't the creative aspect. The phrase "Pick your battles" comes to my mind with political debates; I know from personal experience that trying to argue with people is a waist of time unless they are willing to listen; the more you push someone, the more stubborn & defensive they become; it's NOT worth me getting upset & angry.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 9 Apr 2022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,490

24 Jun 2022, 10:53 am

Music, movies, celebrities and other such worthless stuff.
Politics.
Bitching about Trump or Putin or some other hateable figures like that.
Dating etc.
Autism and hundreds of other conditions that sound the same.

And any lengthy paragraphs more than 4 lines (even if the topic itself is not boring).

And more...



Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,565
Location: UK

24 Jun 2022, 10:58 am

Fnord wrote:


• Threads which start out with only an image, a video, or a link, with no explanatory comments by the OP.


This one mostly.


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

24 Jun 2022, 11:05 am

Trueno wrote:
Fnord wrote:
• Threads which start out with only an image, a video, or a link, with no explanatory comments by the OP.
This one mostly.
What are you talking about?  This thread is most certainly NOT like that!



Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,917

24 Jun 2022, 11:18 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The "it's easier for autistic women to date than it is for autistic men" threads.
Because you know, autistic women have vaginas and they're always in high demand.


Yeah, this one really grates on me.


_________________
"A loaded gun won't set you free. So you say." - Ian Curtis


Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2017
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,565
Location: UK

24 Jun 2022, 11:22 am

Fnord wrote:
Trueno wrote:
Fnord wrote:
• Threads which start out with only an image, a video, or a link, with no explanatory comments by the OP.
This one mostly.
What are you talking about?  This thread is most certainly NOT like that!


I was referring to “this one” your comment

Not “this one” this thread

Now I realise I should have posted it as: ^ this


_________________
Steve J

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame


Last edited by Trueno on 24 Jun 2022, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,824
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

24 Jun 2022, 11:34 am

Anything with the title Count To (insert number here). I don't even know why these exist. I don't read them at all. Or count them, or whatever.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,248
Location: UK

24 Jun 2022, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Any thread in which the first post is so long that I must scroll down to read all of it


I've got to be really intrigued to read really long OPs with like 10 huge paragraphs. Or maybe I just need more patience.

Quote:
• Any thread in which the OP asks for advice on how to handle a situation for which the answer should be obvious

I'm guilty of this sometimes. :lol: I think it's an impulsive thing with me though.

Quote:
• Any thread in which the OP asks questions about something that happened years ago

Guilty of this too! :lol: I do obsess over things that happened in my teens and because I didn't know WP existed back then I feel now's the time to discuss such matters if the memories pop into my head. But there's nothing wrong with getting bored or annoyed with those sorts of threads, so I'm not invalidating your opinion. That's what this thread is for! (to not be afraid to list your own opinions about your experiences on this site) :)

Quote:
• Any thread in which the OP expresses misery over his or her diagnosis

Guilty. :lol:

Quote:
• The "counting" threads

I don't take part in any threads in the off the wall section, although I understand how some users like to participate in them as a pastime. It's more annoying when they take up the first page in random discussion though. The "what time is it where you are?" thread is my worst (sorry to the OP of that thread, I don't mean it against you personally as it's got thousands of posts so it must be quite entertaining to some) because, well, I just don't see much point to it.

Quote:
Not referring to you with #3 Joe.
I mean new people.
By the time everyone replies to them, they never post again.

Please, don't elaborate! :) Say what you like in this thread. I'm guilty for some of the things listed in this thread. :lol:


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic