Is the internet the only place where you can pass as NT?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sonic200
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 12 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 284

30 May 2022, 1:43 pm

Do you think the internet is the only place where it is possible for you to pass as a neurotypical?



klanka
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 31 Mar 2022
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,476
Location: Cardiff, Wales

30 May 2022, 1:51 pm

Might be.
I thought I was well spoken but when someone who had been a friend for a few months found out I could code he was like 'oh so you're intelligent then' so I probably don't come over that way



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,891
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 May 2022, 5:52 pm

I can not mask as being neurotypical even on the internet & I do not want to


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


Sonic200
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 12 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 284

30 May 2022, 6:19 pm

I know I am certainly not able to mask as neurotypical offline. Any stranger that just comes in contact with me can tell I am not neurotypical.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 18,299
Location: I'm right here

30 May 2022, 6:26 pm

I don't know, do I pass? :oops:


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,311
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

30 May 2022, 6:32 pm

Not really?

I mean, if you're not geeky, aren't analytical, not interested in intellectual things, enjoy watching sitcoms and sports, are super-average on almost every metric but have an ASD diagnoses with no connection to your personality other than not being able to read people I guess the not reading part, at least nonverbally, is taken care of.

You'd be amazed at the variety of things that expose you as being on the spectrum. Lacking social skills isn't even necessary.


_________________
“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin


1986
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 656
Location: Tokyo

30 May 2022, 6:58 pm

nick007 wrote:
I can not mask as being neurotypical even on the internet & I do not want to

Me too. I had a reddit account for a few days and it took just a few posts before I overstepped a few unwritten social rules I was unaware of and the downvotes amassed. Even the subreddit for autism has certain group manners that make me a misfit there. The only place online where I feel safe to say what I want to say is here.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,738
Location: temperate zone

30 May 2022, 9:01 pm

Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.



AnomalousAspergian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2021
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 78

30 May 2022, 9:23 pm

How on earth do you pass as NT?



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,293

30 May 2022, 9:31 pm

I can't pass as NT anywhere.

The only people who think I'm NT online, are people who think autistic people can't be smart.

Unfortunately I've even heard that attitude from people on WP.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,918
Location: UK

30 May 2022, 10:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.


Why do you have to list lack of empathy down as an autistic trait?


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have RSD (Rejection Sensitivity Dysphoria)
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 53,293

30 May 2022, 11:04 pm

Taking things literally is an autistic trait. It's even in the diagnostic criteria.

It stands to reason that we all have issues with that.

The other two aren't relevant.



Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2021
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,741
Location: US

31 May 2022, 2:38 am

I'm sure I don't quite fit in regarding most settings. But I'm also sure it's less distinct than it used to be.



Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 31 May 2022, 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 68
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,738
Location: temperate zone

31 May 2022, 3:22 am

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.


Why do you have to list lack of empathy down as an autistic trait?


Not lack of sympathy, but lack of empathy - or more precisely "cognative empathy".

Its listed in the DSM as a diagnostic symptom.

A particular WP member always whines, and invokes his autism to defend himself when others on this same site get angry at him for being obtuse. So ask THAT person. Dont ask me. Lol!



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,891
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 May 2022, 8:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Some folks cannot pass even on the Net because even when communication is only in text certain issues come through: like taking things literally, inability to take meaning from context, and general lack of empathy.


Why do you have to list lack of empathy down as an autistic trait?


Not lack of sympathy, but lack of empathy - or more precisely "cognative empathy".

Its listed in the DSM as a diagnostic symptom.

A particular WP member always whines, and invokes his autism to defend himself when others on this same site get angry at him for being obtuse. So ask THAT person. Dont ask me. Lol!
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Not really?

I mean, if you're not geeky, aren't analytical, not interested in intellectual things, enjoy watching sitcoms and sports, are super-average on almost every metric but have an ASD diagnoses with no connection to your personality other than not being able to read people I guess the not reading part, at least nonverbally, is taken care of.

You'd be amazed at the variety of things that expose you as being on the spectrum. Lacking social skills isn't even necessary.
I def am NOT an intellectual & I'm not really a geek cuz I'm not great with technology & I'm too retarded to pass for NT. There's LOTS of things I don't understand & others tend to misunderstand me. On other forums I've been accused of being mean & hateful when I was never intending to be. I want to give others practical advice instead of telling them clueshays that help them feel better but do nothing to actually address the problem. I want others to do that with me as well & I'm a giant aHole for it. Sometimes situations have very crummy outcomes no matter what you do or don't do & being honest with someone about that is mean since it is not what they want to hear. I talked about my problems & issues a lot & I've gotten accused of just wanting to whine & complain instead of solving my problems. I wanted to hear advice that I could realistically apply & others just wanted me to feel better or focus on something else so I would shut up. I have an analytical style where I appear argumentative & like I'm dismissing all advice when I'm trying to figure out how I can realistically apply it & I'm sorting things out. Figurative pats on the back & being called mean & stuff makes me feel worse. Aspies tend to be more understanding & accepting which is why WP is the only forum I've really used since after being here a year.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


Radish
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2022
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,839
Location: UK

31 May 2022, 9:13 am

I don't pass as NT anywhere when folks get to know me a little.


_________________
This space intentionally left blank.