Page 7 of 14 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 3:56 pm

greenblue wrote:
Fnord wrote:
pat666rick wrote:
God doesn't like anything that isn't mentioned in the Bible.

YOU are not mentioned in the Bible.

Exactly :P

Besides, unless pat666rick can provide evidence that he is God's own chosen prophet, we can ignore any statement he makes regarding what Gos does and does not like.

• Veritas Illuminata • Semper Illuminans •

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 4:00 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Anyone else think this might make a good story in book or movie format?

Roma Eterna (Hardcover)
by Robert Silverberg (Author) "The newly arrived ambassador from the Eastern Emperor was rather younger than Faustus had expected him to be: a smallish sort, finely built, quite handsome..."

It's been done.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 4:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Roma Eterna (Hardcover)
by Robert Silverberg (Author) "The newly arrived ambassador from the Eastern Emperor was rather younger than Faustus had expected him to be: a smallish sort, finely built, quite handsome..."

It's been done.

Oh crap :P
This book looks interesting, especially if one likes ancient and middle history related to religion, I suppose.
It is interesting that it is under the genre of Science Fiction, it seems to just illustrate an alternative history, from the reviews, and not making a relation or a conexion in the novel of the two alternate realities, and how one gets there, as it was suppose to be in this other novel that will never be :P

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2008, 4:37 pm

Here's where physicist Michio Kako shares his views on the possibility of time travel. I think its very possible also, but I'm no one of consequence, hear it from the experts!

http://science.discovery.com/questions/ ... -kaku.html

other thread about time travel from a long time ago in the Science forum

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt63206.html

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Roma Eterna (Hardcover)

It's been done.

Really, that book hardly seems related. Roma Tomata seems to be an alternate history book, but it just destroys the current timeline - particularly relating to the God of the Bible and for some reason Allah too.

My focus is on the historical personage of Kallinikos of Heliopolis. It would start off with a "what if the Muslims had conquered Europe" scenario, leading to a future time when research into time travel is being done. A remnant of Christians and Jews in hiding would either be the developers or capturers of the time-travel device or facility. A Jewish-Christian by the name of Kalvin Rosenberg (or something like that) is selected because of his background in chemistry and physics... and so on. Does that sound like Roma Eterna?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:35 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Roma Eterna (Hardcover)

It's been done.

Really, that book hardly seems related. Roma Tomata seems to be an alternate history book, but it just destroys the current timeline - particularly relating to the God of the Bible and for some reason Allah too.

My focus is on the historical personage of Kallinikos of Heliopolis. It would start off with a "what if the Muslims had conquered Europe" scenario, leading to a future time when research into time travel is being done. A remnant of Christians and Jews in hiding would either be the developers or capturers of the time-travel device or facility. A Jewish-Christian by the name of Kalvin Rosenberg (or something like that) is selected because of his background in chemistry and physics... and so on. Does that sound like Roma Eterna?

Yes, I believe we don't have to worry about a problem of pliagarism in this case here, but this book looks interesting.

I was thinking of a story myself (although I dont know about actually doing it) but I am also afraid that it might be already done, and some conections with other stories may seem very obvious.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:43 pm

greenblue wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Fnord wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Roma Eterna (Hardcover)

It's been done.

Yes, I believe we don't have to worry about a problem of plagiarism in this case here, but this book looks interesting.

I was thinking of a story myself (although I don't know about actually doing it) but I am also afraid that it might be already done, and some connections with other stories may seem very obvious.

What about?

As for my story, after the initial fiction background it would be carefully modeled after history.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:46 pm

On a completely random note, there is a very weird solution to general relativity found by the ever inscrutible Kurt Goedel. In the Goedel metric:

Quote:
According to Hawking and Ellis, another remarkable feature of this spacetime is the fact that, if we suppress the inessential y coordinate, light emitted from an event on the world line of a given dust particle spirals outwards, forms a circular cusp, then spiral inwards and reconverges at a subsequent event on the world line of the original dust particle. This means that observers looking orthogonally to the e_2 direction can see only finitely far out, and also see themselves at an earlier time.

But the best part is:
Quote:
there are CTCs [closed time like curves] through every event in the Gödel spacetime.

Where the existence of a CTC basically allows for time travel.

Apparently, as Goedel wrote:
Kurt Godel wrote:
Namely, by making a round trip on a rocket ship in a sufficiently wide curve, it is possible in these worlds to travel into any region of the past, present, and future, and back again, exactly as it is possible in other worlds to travel to distant parts of space.

*Unfortunately*, our universe is not described by Godel's solution :cry:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:02 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
What about?

well, I was thinking of a story about Solipsism, and well, my inspiration would come from Doctor Who episode Silence in the Library, not sure how a good idea it would be.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:03 pm

Twoshots, have you considered Moshe Carmeli's work on cosmology? I don't know a lot about it other than that Dr. John Hartnett seems to favor it over the Humphrey's metric.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:20 pm

how about black hole theory?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:23 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
how about black hole theory?

Even classical mechanics has that. You set the escape velocity to that of light.

Edit: or what do you mean? Talking about Sphere?

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:29 pm

no one knows what where they lead or what they do so it might be possible it would be kinda of short cut to another universal if yes they can also manipulate time basically those suck everything inside em whithout growing..there must be way out

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:37 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
no one knows what where they lead or what they do so it might be possible it would be kinda of short cut to another universal if yes they can also manipulate time basically those suck everything inside em whithout growing..there must be way out

Or, rather than going anywhere, they could be like Euclidean trash-compactors!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

greenblue wrote:
This book looks interesting, especially if one likes ancient and middle history related to religion, I suppose.
It is interesting that it is under the genre of Science Fiction, it seems to just illustrate an alternative history, from the reviews, and not making a relation or a conexion in the novel of the two alternate realities, and how one gets there, as it was suppose to be in this other novel that will never be :P

Oh!

You mean "Crosstime" by by the late, great, André Norton (1965).

Quote:
"A dimension-spanning tyrant has plans to conquer the entire multiverse, using Earth and local space-time as his base. Now it's up to one young natural time traveler to stop him! Andre Norton's The Crossroads of Time and Quest Crosstime together in one volume."

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 10:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
claire333 wrote:
Do you mean like remote viewing or actual physical time travel?

Physical time travel. The timeline would have changed because of Callinicus. Without him, we could be living in an Islamic super-nation, which would be the timeline Callinicus would have destroyed.

Wow. This thread has really grown since I posted yesterday. I don't want to read it all so I will just go back to where I was.

I am one who does not believe physical time travel is possible...grandfather paradox and all that...but then again...what do I know. :wink: