Do your doctors agree with each other?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2010, 7:25 pm

My doctor in one place said that I have bipolar disorder that is comorbid with my PDD-NOS. Then when I moved and got a different doctor he said that I have a mood disorder independent of my ASD.

My psychologist in one place told me that he dealt with crazy and mentally ill people for 20 years, and that he knows crazy and he knows mental illness and that I'm not crazy or mentally ill. However, three of my diagnoses, in the US (where I moved after living in Canada) are officially classified as mental illnesses in the state I lived in. I was also hospitalized for mental stuff 3 times in one city, twice in another, twice in a third town.

My psychiatrist here says he wants me as far away as possible from psychiatric places, and once I was supposed to be evaluated for 30 days as an inpatient but was released after 7 days because they decided that since I had an ASD that was probably my issue and that I didn't belong there... either that or they let me go because I was causing trouble (which I did a bit... I informed some patients of what rights they would have had as mental patients in the US, and how awful Canada was). All the others either had me hospitalized or thought it was a good idea that I had been hospitalized.

But they all agreed that I needed antipsychotics! :oops:

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:14 am

I get different dxs depending on who I see. It's hard to dx these kind of things.

Avatar: Image I took from New Pokemon Snap, edited with in-game filters

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:35 am

I've been in mental health services for the last 8 years (I'm 20 now). I had a stupid counsellor for 2 years that said that the voices I heard were in my imagination and were nothing to worry about. Then I got discharged from her and I ended up in a psychiatric ward after I freaked out at school and got diagnosed with psychosis.

But what was funny is that my Dad was the one who suggested to the ward psychiatrist that I had Asperger's, and that's why I got diagnosed with Asperger's as well as psychosis there!

Now I'm dx paranoid schizophrenia and AS, but I've been through all sorts of dxs in the processes of this, but the AS has been consistent for the past five years.

Psychiatrists don't often agree with each other.

Psychiatry (does not equal) science.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 10:52 am

That doctors agreed that you "needed" antipsychotics really doesn't mean much. The drug companies have been pushing the use of antipsychotics for anything and everything. Noticed the drug reps visiting your psychiatrist's office? Or all the billion and one items in the office that say "geodon" or "seroquel" or "abilify" on them? clipboards, pens, soap dispensers, cups... all gifts from drug reps who came in and told the doctor all about how the drug could be used for everything under the sun, how it had no side effects and wasn't addictive.. yadda yadda yadda, that there's no reason not to use an expensive antipsychotic for something that could be done just as well and with fewer side effects with a benzodiazapine or an antihistamine.. because drug companies make lots of money off of expensive new drugs and they don't make much off of old, inexpensive drugs. Not to mention that the newer the drug, the easier it is to pass off their fudged "research" data as valid. Once it becomes totally obvious that antipsychotics do, in fact, cause weight gain, they have to change tactics and push them for the treatment of anorexia instead. :roll:
There have already been a few companies fined massive amounts of money for actively advertising their drugs for unapproved uses.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 11:36 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
That doctors agreed that you "needed" antipsychotics really doesn't mean much. The drug companies have been pushing the use of antipsychotics for anything and everything. Noticed the drug reps visiting your psychiatrist's office? Or all the billion and one items in the office that say "geodon" or "seroquel" or "abilify" on them? clipboards, pens, soap dispensers, cups... all gifts from drug reps who came in and told the doctor all about how the drug could be used for everything under the sun, how it had no side effects and wasn't addictive.. yadda yadda yadda, that there's no reason not to use an expensive antipsychotic for something that could be done just as well and with fewer side effects with a benzodiazapine or an antihistamine.. because drug companies make lots of money off of expensive new drugs and they don't make much off of old, inexpensive drugs. Not to mention that the newer the drug, the easier it is to pass off their fudged "research" data as valid. Once it becomes totally obvious that antipsychotics do, in fact, cause weight gain, they have to change tactics and push them for the treatment of anorexia instead. :roll:
There have already been a few companies fined massive amounts of money for actively advertising their drugs for unapproved uses.

I know all that stuff... but well, I tried to go without the pills after being on them for a while and broke down again, so I am stuck with some pills that if I didn't get help would cost me over 500 dollars a month.

Avatar: Image I took from New Pokemon Snap, edited with in-game filters

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 3:59 pm

at least they agreed when i was around 10 they thought that i was depressed at time and how exsacly holding helped me ? i still have flashbacks from em and i think its why i dont tolerate touch on my back :evil: :evil: :evil:

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 7:01 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
My docs in Texas had all that stuff in their office. And I have been on Seroquel, Geodon and Abilify! (And many others too.) I told my shrink there, as we sat in his office full of pill boxes with "Geodon" on them and even an hourglass with the name of some other drug on it, that I felt guilty sometimes because I felt like I was taking treatment time and meds away from someone who might need them more. He got mad at me and said "Do you thionk we would prescribe EXPENSIVE medications for someone who didn't need them?"

08 Jan 2010, 7:05 pm

When I was 22, my doctor and my therapist both agreed I have anorexia.

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 8:36 pm

Do you have anorexia? I have read a LOT of your posts and know a lot about you (you are a fascinating person with a fascinating life) but I never heard that about you before!

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 11:07 pm

Angnix wrote:
I know all that stuff... but well, I tried to go without the pills after being on them for a while and broke down again, so I am stuck with some pills that if I didn't get help would cost me over 500 dollars a month.

I didn't say that nobody ever needs them.. just that they get prescribed to a lot of people who don't. I was originally prescribed Seroquel because a psychiatrist told me that taking benadryl to sleep could increase depression. Well, the reason that seroquel is such a powerful sedative is because it acts as an antihistamine, so there aren't going to be any side effects that benadryl has that seroquel dosn't. Seroquel just does a bunch more things-- things that I didn't need done! It really messed me up for a long, long time.
Now I'm back to benadryl for sleep, which does exactly what I need it to do. And it's $1.50 for a package of 24 generic benadryl at the commissary.

Shareese wrote:
Do you have anorexia? I have read a LOT of your posts and know a lot about you (you are a fascinating person with a fascinating life) but I never heard that about you before!

Oddly enough, they diagnosed her with it despite the fact that she never actually met the criteria. (it came up in a thread awhile ago where I mentioned the diagnostic criteria for anorexia.. I'm not a crazy stalker or anything, really!)
According to this article up to 20% of anorexics actually have undiagnosed AS. Makes sense.

Shareese wrote:
He got mad at me and said "Do you thionk we would prescribe EXPENSIVE medications for someone who didn't need them?"

How did you answer that?

08 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm

Shareese wrote:

No but I have an eating disorder NOS. I still got my period and I wasn't underweight. Doctors don't follow the criteria.

I have gotten better though at eating when I moved in my own apartment with my husband. Now I don't eat as much again because I'm not working so I don't need much food.