Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:00 am

I'm just curious if anyone is like this. I like soft sweet smells or certain food smells... but I have a sharp sense of smell so if someone wears heavy amounts of perfume or cologne... I tend to get bad headaches and feel sick to my stomach.

Anyone else who is like this?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2011, 9:08 am

Strong smells, for example a toothpaste with a crazy mint smell and taste makes my stomach sick. Also the same happens with perfumes, spice, lotions, cologne and washing powder. Sometimes i also get a headaches.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:15 am

skonamis wrote:
Strong smells, for example a toothpaste with a crazy mint smell and taste makes my stomach sick. Also the same happens with perfumes, spice, lotions, cologne and washing powder. Sometimes i also get a headaches.

There is only one perfumey smell I enjoy and that is Japanese Cherry Blossom from Bath and Body Works. I always used it on my Axel plushie and my scarfy to make them feel more calming when things go bad.

But certian food smells can make me sick... some fishy-like smells. Tuna is okay but often times if my mom cooks shrimp, I got so queasy. But its usually just those who where heavy amounts of perfum or cologne. I mean people don't need to be dumping the whole bottle on them, wouldn't you agree? That's pretty much what it seems like. My mom does this sometimes and it makes me gag... yet she always wonders why because she never sprays on that much. It drives me so crazy.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 May 2011, 9:15 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:
I'm just curious if anyone is like this. I like soft sweet smells or certain food smells... but I have a sharp sense of smell so if someone wears heavy amounts of perfume or cologne... I tend to get bad headaches and feel sick to my stomach.

Anyone else who is like this?

Yes. I remember someone walking by me leaving a cloud of perfume, and it was like walking into a wall.

I also have serious trouble walking down the cleaning supplies aisle in most stores, and I'm not a fan of scented candles.

I seem to do okay with some scented shampoo and body wash, but not all.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:16 am

I get headaches if I hang around cigarette smoke or perfume smells for too long. Let's just say I wasn't complaining when AZ passed all those "clean air" laws.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

I really hate a large majority of smells.

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

I get sick from various smells, but the worst ones are smells of foods I don't like, like meats, vanilla (though for some reason I don't mind the taste of artificial vanilla) and random things like cheesecake.

My friends just think I'm weird for not liking smells. =/

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:20 am

Fortunately, I don't get headaches that easily, but I do dislike some smells and odors. Intense perfumes and colognes, hair spays. I used to complain regularly to my mother when she applied her hair spray.

I don't like the smell of intense fresh garlic, when somebody eats a lot of it and smells badly it's like hell to me... My other whim is the smell of cigarette, I feel very upset when I have to smell it somewhere, especially at places like restaurants, bars, or walking on the street. I hold my breath while I pass somebody who is smoking until I'm "safe".

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2011, 12:19 pm

Certain food smells make me noxious (microwave popcorn, fish, barbecue-flavored chips). Chemical smells seem to affect me worse than other people (paint fumes, carpet glue, etc). Sometimes I smell just random disgusting smells that others don't seem to notice.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2011, 12:24 pm

I get slightly ill if I have to keep smelling certain synthetic odors, like fabric softener, heavily scented people, strong unpleasant body odor, the smell of a cast iron skillet (especially after eggs have been fried in it; gross!) laundry soap, perfumes, you name it. My idea of hell is to be surrounded by people eating greasy fried foods, wearing clothing that has been washed in highly scented soap, and slathered in hair products, scent, etc. :eew:

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 12:35 pm

I'm really sensitive to smells, and last week at work I had to help clean a load of faeces that had been smeared on a wall in a college toilet (livin' the dream.... :roll: ). Anyway, I could smell it through 2 closed doors and when I finally got to it I started retching beyond control and couldn't work. I just ran out the room all the time and started groaning in the corridor. Made me look like a right wuss.

And seeing the Gorillas at the zoo always gives me a horrible headache too, with their awful B.O. I have to make sure I have a potent drink with me so I can sniff it when the smell gets too bad.

It's always nausea and headaches with me. And I always seem to be able to still smell things way after everyone else has stopped smelling it. For example, I still smelled the Silverback Gorilla's body odour well into the evening the other day. It just keeps lingering!

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 12:57 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
I get slightly ill if I have to keep smelling certain synthetic odors, like fabric softener, heavily scented people, strong unpleasant body odor, the smell of a cast iron skillet (especially after eggs have been fried in it; gross!) laundry soap, perfumes, you name it. My idea of hell is to be surrounded by people eating greasy fried foods, wearing clothing that has been washed in highly scented soap, and slathered in hair products, scent, etc. :eew:

You sound like me; with everything you have stated.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 1:06 pm

I do not like the scent of perfume or hair products. Yuck!

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2016, 10:21 pm

I always react to smells in a strong way while everyone else around me barely notices them.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:06 am

I have never been that sensitive to smells due to having major allergies.
However for the past few years I have been using an anti-allergy steroidal spray to cure rhinitis and my sense of smell is improving.

I am only now starting to smell properly, which is funny as I was recently diagnosed with ASC but at the time reported no hypersensitivity to smelling although now i am starting to think that i have hypersensitivity to smell as well.

I recently went to the movies with 4 other people. The guy who i hang out with invited me along with a couple of other mates. But he didnt tell me which mates.
One of his other mates whom i ended up having to sit next to has major hygiene problems.

I sat next to him and immediately i had a major problem with how he smelt.
He smelt like he had not washed his clothes for weeks. that damp moldy kind of smell that you get from not washing your clothes. He also smelt of stale sweat.

When he spoke, his breath also stank. His teeth appeared as if they had never been brushed.
The guy is a nice enough guy, and i like him.
But he really does have major hygiene problems which really pissed me off as i had to sit next to him for the entire film. Which sucked as it kind of ruined the film for me.

it also really put me off eating my movie treats.
nevermind

So i think that now my allergies are starting to be alleviated with the anti-allergy spray, i am starting to become hypersensitive to smells.

Sonikku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2016, 2:18 am

Cigarette smoke- 10 minutes of that, and oncoming headache and nausea. Sitting with these people for two hours usually doesn't end well. I don't eat because I want to hurl, and then I end up taking Valoid to stop the urge to hurl. Net result is upset digestive system and 2 days of headache to clear that and restore appetite.

Certain types (not used anymore) of flavouring in candy- virtually instant hurl-inducing.

Strong perfume (regardless of fragrance/flavour)