If AS/Autistic people were in the majority...

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

I would feel more comfortable walking out alone at night, since there wouldn't be all these pubs and bars open with obnoxious, rowdy, tarty youths coming out, showing off in their crowd and making others feel intimidated. There would be pubs and bars open with some people in and out (since not all Aspies hate pubs and bars), but there wouldn't be as many.

And I would get looked at less in the street, and I would be able to cover my ears when a loud sound occurs, without being looked at funny by others (because most others would be doing it). I don't think things would be as loud anyway, because the manufacterers would be Aspies too and so would be intelligent enough to invent and make things that make less noise. If the majority of people were Aspies, then this world would be more or less Aspie-friendly.

I suppose it is possible to imagine how this would work, if you really sat and thought about it. If life was and always had been this way, then I suppose nobody would know any different, would we? It'd just be the world we're born into, and we'd just adapt, like we have now. It's like trying to imagine what it'd be like if the grass was red, or if the sky was green. We wouldn't think it's ridiculous, because it'd just be a part of life that we automatically adapted to in babyhood. Or sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I grew up with lots of siblings, instead of just the one. Or, what would I have been like if I was born a boy? What does having a penis feel like? It's so interesting to imagine what life would be like in another light.

Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 9:54 pm

NTs would be described as having "the ability to read minds."

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 12:56 am

Well first of all if the world were autistic I would be treated fairly on a job. I wouldn't be constantly getting fired and I would have a nice standard of living.

Second I wouldn't have familly members constantly nagging at me because I would be normal and I would command respect.

I think because autistics experience so much discrimination it would make sense for us to have our own world or nation state so that we could really flourish. It would be like heaven on earth. Right now life is hell for the autistic.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 7:02 am

Well, if all this BS about ''NTs never lack empathy'' was actually true, then this world would be hell for Autistics.

Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 7:18 am

Since all people will be honest and won't lie, there would be no scams, no cons and no deceptions. What a better world would that be!

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 7:19 am

Since all people will be honest and won't lie, there would be no scams, no cons and no deceptions. What a better world would that be!

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 7:24 am

syrella wrote:
I'm sure it wouldn't be a perfect world, but I think it would certainly be an easier place for people with ASD to live in. Maybe I wouldn't be so uncomfortable with leaving the house if the outside world were more friendly.

I'm quite certain there would be less violence, a better educational system, and more emphasis on art and technology. Everything would be much more logical and orderly and certain problems would no longer be an issue.

Other problems might arise from stuff like executive dysfunction and communication troubles. But then again, maybe the world would be restructured enough so that those issues would be less of a problem.

It's an interesting question to ponder, though! :D Has anyone tried writing a book or novel about it?

There are many Utopian society novels, I just cant think of any. The Island by ......, The movie Easy Rider, utopian themes often encompass AS sensibilities

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 7:26 am

TenPencePiece wrote:
I personally think that the world, or at least part of it, would collapse if the ratio of AS:NT was reversed.
However, I think the world would be nearly optimum if the ratio was somewhere around 50:50.

If all the AS/NT hybrids quit NT emulation mode, the ratio may be much higher than initially thought

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2011, 8:25 am

IceCreamGirl wrote:
NTs would be described as having "the ability to read minds."

The would be "social savants" and pitied for it...

Lying and perjury would probably have huge legal repercussions though. It would be a major stigma.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Frankly, as a group, we are not equipped to run things.
Speak for yourself.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 5:37 am

MrXxx wrote:
This idea is brought up quite frequently. There's a lot of really idealistic views of what it would be like. Personally, I think they're all misplaced.

I don't think it would anywhere near as rosy as many think it would be. All you have to do is stick around this forum and read a LOT, and you'll get a pretty good idea why I feel this way.

Autism IS a disability. A disability defined by impairment of communicative and social skills. Fill the world with people who can't communicate well, don't care for socializing, and what you really think will happen?

Frankly, as a group, we are not equipped to run things. If we were in the majority, we AND NT's would all be screwed.

Completely agree. There wouldnt be a community. Autistic people tend to be antisocial and rigid. We all have different preferences so we wouldnt get along with each other and any type of society would break apart.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 7:55 am

Neurotypical people may be social with each other but they are completely antisocial when dealing with autistics. They constantly bully us and seek our destruction by denying us jobs and educational opportunities. In an autistic world we would flourish and become a great society.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2011, 8:01 am

autistic government: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
Autistic people tend to be antisocial and rigid.

Well you seem to be pretty understanding if you believe everything people tell you. The only thing that is rigid is how people treat us. That you are saying that I am rigid is a complete guess in the dark.
Ai_Ling wrote:
We all have different preferences so we wouldnt get along with each other and any type of society would break apart.

What? Of course people have different preferences. That's true for all societies! Did you ever hear of the political spectrum? Doesn't everyone have a different dream job, favourite food, different hobby? And as for breaking apart, when have they not broken apart? I can point to thousands of episodes in human history when that has happened, like the American civil war, partition of india, yugoslavian dissolution, American war of independence. How about the simple divorce? The fact is that you are exaggerating your own faults and applying them to everyone else and in a way that is trying to say you can't become a better person.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:20 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Neurotypical people may be social with each other but they are completely antisocial when dealing with autistics. They constantly bully us and seek our destruction by denying us jobs and educational opportunities. In an autistic world we would flourish and become a great society.

Yes all NT's are evil monsters with a vendetta against anyone on the autism spectrum......lol seriously dude get real, is that honestly what you think? also people with autism are not the only ones that face problems like that there are other mental conditions and mental disorders that affect peoples lives as well.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yes all NT's are evil monsters with a vendetta against anyone on the autism spectrum......lol seriously dude get real, is that honestly what you think? also people with autism are not the only ones that face problems like that there are other mental conditions and mental disorders that affect peoples lives as well.

Yes, for much of that androbot is just so absurd sounding.