Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 193
Location: Ontario, Canada

15 Oct 2016, 1:39 pm

Hello. So I work at a pet store as a cashier part time 2-3 times a week for a 3-4 hours shift. I like working my normal shift, which is the closing shift, since not many people call the store and not many people come in. But when I work a weekend shift, I tend to want to go home and cry after due to my social awkwardness. Many customers are nice people, and I try to not act weird, but things happen.

I have a hard time understanding people with accents and I don't like it when people call with accents because I can't understand them and feel so bad because of it. I try my very best to, but I can't, especially over the phone where there is phone static and background noises on both sides of the phone.

But even in general, I try to help people, and I am considered a very friendly person, but I feel very awkward. I especially hate it when I have to look for something for someone and I can't find it immediately. I don't like people waiting for me.

Anyways, is there a way to not feel so awkward about myself at work? Many people are nice I said, but I also have social anxiety, and strangers make me anxious, and higher anxiety makes me more socially awkward. I wish I didn't have to deal with people I don't know.

Also, do many people on here who do work, or have worked in the past, feel overwhelmed by work? The only reason I feel I have a job is because I work at my mom's store, and since she is the owner, she isn't going to fire me.


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf


BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,620

15 Oct 2016, 1:45 pm

It would help if you could get a cheap headset for the phone.

I think it is hard for anyone starting out--it should get easier as you gain more practice and know what to expect. It is hard when everything is new.



mended
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 100
Location: England

15 Oct 2016, 2:11 pm

Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


_________________
loneliness has always been a friend of mine


MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 193
Location: Ontario, Canada

15 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

mended wrote:
Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


That'd be a good idea if people weren't so stigmatizing about mental illness. Though I live in a nice community, people are still not sure about people with mental illness. I wish we lived in a society one day where people understand how hard it is to live with one (or more) mental illness(es).

Thanks for your response :D


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf


MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 193
Location: Ontario, Canada

15 Oct 2016, 2:34 pm

BTDT wrote:
It would help if you could get a cheap headset for the phone.

I think it is hard for anyone starting out--it should get easier as you gain more practice and know what to expect. It is hard when everything is new.


Hello. What do you mean by a cheap headset? Like, wearing headphone type of thing instead of using the phone's speakers and microphone? I wouldn't know how to set it up, but sounds like a good idea. I know a workplace where the secretaries there have headsets.

I have been working at this job for a year now, but it's my first job. And I know, more practice will help me get better, but it's still very hard.

Thanks for your response :D


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf


Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2015
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,579
Location: The Void

15 Oct 2016, 2:36 pm

MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
mended wrote:
Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


That'd be a good idea if people weren't so stigmatizing about mental illness. Though I live in a nice community, people are still not sure about people with mental illness. I wish we lived in a society one day where people understand how hard it is to live with one (or more) mental illness(es).

Thanks for your response :D
Is not caring what other people think a option? If not you could always, Wear a shirt that says, Beware of the socially awkward then have arrow pointing toward you face? Image


_________________
Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ youtube.com/c/pieplup
ISTJ-A - HSP - 21 - AQ - 43 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 69 - RAADS-R - 196 - Aspie Quiz (AS:176/NT:30)
Professionally Diagnosed: with A.D.H.D., Dysgraphia, PDD-NOS, and Social Phobia. Possible PTSD

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ


MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jul 2016
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Posts: 193
Location: Ontario, Canada

15 Oct 2016, 2:53 pm

Pieplup wrote:
MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
mended wrote:
Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


That'd be a good idea if people weren't so stigmatizing about mental illness. Though I live in a nice community, people are still not sure about people with mental illness. I wish we lived in a society one day where people understand how hard it is to live with one (or more) mental illness(es).

Thanks for your response :D
Is not caring what other people think a option? If not you could always, Wear a shirt that says, Beware of the socially awkward then have arrow pointing toward you face? Image


Hello. I care too much about what others think. It's part of my social anxiety, plus I'm a highly sensitive person. I wish I could not care about what others think. And I do have a work uniform (a t-shirt with the company logo on it). Thanks for your response :D


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 20,812
Location: South-East England

15 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

I find work overwhelming too. I have a part-time job, 3 days a week, 6 hours each shift, cleaning rooms in a care home. But even then I get stressed. I opt out of overtime, even though it means more money, but I just can't face doing any more than I already do.

I get so shy at work. I do not want to do nursing, so I just stick to the cleaning. But I sometimes find it awkward to talk to some of the residents, because most of them are deaf and I have a hard time speaking louder. But all the residents are lovely. I'm just not very outspoken.
Also there are some nurses there that I don't really talk to much. They probably think I'm snobby or something. But I'm just shy and don't always know what to say, other than hello and a bit of small talk now and again.
I talk more to the other cleaners that work there, which does me good.

Also I get distracted easily, and can easily be sidetracked. Also I can be forgetful too, especially if I have a mental to do list. Maybe I need to keep a notebook handy so that I can write things down so I don't forget.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2015
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,579
Location: The Void

15 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
mended wrote:
Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


That'd be a good idea if people weren't so stigmatizing about mental illness. Though I live in a nice community, people are still not sure about people with mental illness. I wish we lived in a society one day where people understand how hard it is to live with one (or more) mental illness(es).

Thanks for your response :D
Is not caring what other people think a option? If not you could always, Wear a shirt that says, Beware of the socially awkward then have arrow pointing toward you face? Image


Hello. I care too much about what others think. It's part of my social anxiety, plus I'm a highly sensitive person. I wish I could not care about what others think. And I do have a work uniform (a t-shirt with the company logo on it). Thanks for your response :D
You should also keep in mind, no matter what you do you're always going to have people who just don't like you for no particular reason and in the long run. It's better to just be yourself.


_________________
Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ youtube.com/c/pieplup
ISTJ-A - HSP - 21 - AQ - 43 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 69 - RAADS-R - 196 - Aspie Quiz (AS:176/NT:30)
Professionally Diagnosed: with A.D.H.D., Dysgraphia, PDD-NOS, and Social Phobia. Possible PTSD

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 104,938
Location: Canada in person, Germany in spirit

18 Oct 2016, 11:42 pm

Pieplup wrote:
MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
mended wrote:
Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


That'd be a good idea if people weren't so stigmatizing about mental illness. Though I live in a nice community, people are still not sure about people with mental illness. I wish we lived in a society one day where people understand how hard it is to live with one (or more) mental illness(es).

Thanks for your response :D
Is not caring what other people think a option? If not you could always, Wear a shirt that says, Beware of the socially awkward then have arrow pointing toward you face? Image


Hello. I care too much about what others think. It's part of my social anxiety, plus I'm a highly sensitive person. I wish I could not care about what others think. And I do have a work uniform (a t-shirt with the company logo on it). Thanks for your response :D
You should also keep in mind, no matter what you do you're always going to have people who just don't like you for no particular reason and in the long run. It's better to just be yourself.


I love that T-shirt. If I was working in a factory, I'd actually wear it to work.


_________________
Peabody

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2015
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,579
Location: The Void

19 Oct 2016, 11:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
MentalIllnessObsessed wrote:
mended wrote:
Could you wear a badge saying "please be nice - I have social anxiety"?

That won't help on the phone though.


That'd be a good idea if people weren't so stigmatizing about mental illness. Though I live in a nice community, people are still not sure about people with mental illness. I wish we lived in a society one day where people understand how hard it is to live with one (or more) mental illness(es).

Thanks for your response :D
Is not caring what other people think a option? If not you could always, Wear a shirt that says, Beware of the socially awkward then have arrow pointing toward you face? Image


Hello. I care too much about what others think. It's part of my social anxiety, plus I'm a highly sensitive person. I wish I could not care about what others think. And I do have a work uniform (a t-shirt with the company logo on it). Thanks for your response :D
You should also keep in mind, no matter what you do you're always going to have people who just don't like you for no particular reason and in the long run. It's better to just be yourself.


I love that T-shirt. If I was working in a factory, I'd actually wear it to work.
I just google Socially Awkward T-Shirt, and google spat it out. Here's the link.


_________________
Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ youtube.com/c/pieplup
ISTJ-A - HSP - 21 - AQ - 43 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 69 - RAADS-R - 196 - Aspie Quiz (AS:176/NT:30)
Professionally Diagnosed: with A.D.H.D., Dysgraphia, PDD-NOS, and Social Phobia. Possible PTSD

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ


Last edited by Pieplup on 19 Oct 2016, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,690
Location: UK

19 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

Pieplup wrote:
I just google Socially Awkward T-Shirt, and google spat it out. Here's the link.


great t-shirts on that site , I love this t-shirt
Image


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,094
Location: Pacific Northwest

19 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

Perhaps you aren't working the right job and you need to find a job that is suitable for you?


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.