Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 9:08 pm

My husband has been away this entire week for work and what I have found is that this has actually really helped me. I love him dearly and we talk throughout the days on the phone so it's not like I really miss him because we are in contact pretty much very few hours. But what I have found is so wonderful is that I can keep all the lights off in the house except for the bare minimum, basically my salt lamp which I can keep pretty dim and I have been able to slow down EVERYTHING I do to a very slow pace. Every movement I make has been considerably slowed and I have been listening to Native American flute which is also very relaxing. But even though we call each other, I only speak when I want to speak and only for very short bouts at a time and I have noticed a considerable difference in my well being. But I never knew how simply slowing down every movement I make can make such a difference in my state of mind.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 9:30 pm

Yep....just doing things in a relaxing manner is so healing.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 10:17 pm

I get it. When the one we love is physically present in our lives, they are there to comfort us when we crash from life's frantic pace. At the end of a long, hectic, day, you can come home and regenerate in their presence. Going at a slower pace and creating a more relaxing atmosphere is essentially minimizing the emotional and physical stress to begin with during our loved one's absence.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2014, 12:41 am

The ability to 'slow down and take it easy' is closely tied in with my general levels of patience at the time.

I do have a problem with being impatient and especially being forced to wait and being 'tied down to a spot' where I cannot move because I am reliant/dependent upon others to free me from that position.

Supermarket checkouts are a prime example of this...especially when my hearing is really acute that day and there's a lady behind me with two toddlers under 5...the younger of the two is screaming her lungs out and the elder is fascinated by the screeching sound his rubber shoes make on the polished floor...

Yeah kids, I am bored too and I can totally identify with the younger kid, but seriously...shut the hell up ffs!

I find that I am always in a 'rush' though, except for when I get a bee in my bonnet and become determined to do something...yeah, everybody tells me to just 'slow the hell down' always...but I just want to be able to do things as fast as I see other people doing them, I want to try and be able to accomplish the task of being able to do things quick and well...or die tryin'. lol

Still, I know I am very impatient when I am waiting at traffic lights and 30 seconds feels like 3 minutes and I start grumbling...when I have to wait for 20 minutes on the phone and forcibly listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons before I can speak to a person from Social Services...when I have an appointment at the doctor, and I have to wait because he's running a bit late and there's a person still waiting in front of me...when if I can't do something the first time and after 5 minutes I usually give up...

Yeah, this is a big problem for me...and it even has a name...Macrophobia.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 12:11 pm

Slowing life down is a good thing in so many ways.

When I'm having problems communicating well I often institute my 3 second rule - I count to three before replying in a conversation. It does wonders - my brain uses the extra time to much better sort out the words that are about to come out of my mouth.

Also, I like the concept of mindfulness. I understand it to be slowing oneself down, calming one's mind to focus on the moment, taking everything in, pondering it all, and then living in the moment.

Life today is so hectic with instant everything and people "multitasking" and screwing everything up as a result.

I prefer the concept of "craftsmenship". Focusing on what you are doing, putting your time and effort and love into it, and getting good results - as a result.

thechameleon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2014, 2:42 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:
Supermarket checkouts are a prime example of this...especially when my hearing is really acute that day and there's a lady behind me with two toddlers under 5...the younger of the two is screaming her lungs out and the elder is fascinated by the screeching sound his rubber shoes make on the polished floor...

Yeah kids, I am bored too and I can totally identify with the younger kid, but seriously...shut the hell up ffs!

My god, I consider myself a fairly good person, but after 5minutes in a que at a supermarket with brats that wont stop screaming... At that point I may be thinking of ways to annihilate humanity.

I'm not really sure how much this also applies for me, but I think less so in the literal sense. I don't really think I like 'slowness' so much, but rather that I hate rushing anything. I can't stand rushing things... I can't stand the rush people seem to have in this day and age, I'd much prefer everyone just take their time and do things properly...

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2014, 7:18 am

thechameleon wrote:
SoMissunderstood wrote:

My god, I consider myself a fairly good person, but after 5minutes in a que at a supermarket with brats that wont stop screaming... At that point I may be thinking of ways to annihilate humanity.

I know that feeling well.

When it comes to children, they make the worst sound out there and the sound that causes insta-meltdowns for me.

It is that very high-pitched, loud, squealing sound, just below the level of ultrasonic waves.

They make this sound no matter whether they are happy, angry, sad...any overabundance in a single emotion seems to facilitate this inhuman stretch of the vocal chords.

To me, it's like nails down a chalkboard amplified...like somebody just rubbed two pieces of foam together right next to my ear and talk about bloody painful (and distance is no barrier, I just have to hear it).

Why they must shriek and shrill like that is totally beyond me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 9:46 am

My parents are always working on getting me to relax more and go slow and easy. My dad's always saying "relax max". He's so incredibly laid back it helps me a lot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

Location: On a special base where the Christmas soldiers of the world live

15 Jun 2014, 9:38 pm

I also find that it helps to slow down. On the days that I go into work, I rest my foot up until 9:30 instead of going out and bottling. It gives me a very calm feeling and I get to do surveys on another site where I can earn points to purchase rewards of my liking. I also have a feeling of calm when I don't rush to go home from my volunteer job right away and I stay to help with the dishes on Tuesdays. It helps me to not worry about the time.

Pronouns: He/Him/His
IQ: 86 and I use all 86 of them.