Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 9:52 am

I have this horrible aversion to looking at pictures of myself because I always have the same look on my face ? just a faint, pleasant smile with no dental work exposed. Unless someone can pull a laugh out of me by saying something amusing, I seem to be unable to fake one. For some reason, it just seems to be something I'm unable to produce when someone points a camera at me, which is why I usually avoid having my picture taken in the first place.

Also, whenever I pass someone on the street and they say ?Hello? with a big smile, once again, it's the same story.

Any thoughts? Is something that is common to people of the spectrum?

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm

Oh yes.

It took my wife years to train me to smile, when taking a picture, such that my teeth show. At first I looked like I was in pain, after a whole lot of trying it got better.

Try this when you want to smile for a picture:

- squint your eyes a little bit like it's a bit sunny outside.
- put your tongue gently against the roof of your mouth with the tip gently pressed against the back of your upper teeth.
- let your jaw relax so that your mouth opens just a bit (your bottom lip should be just touching the bottom of your upper teeth or be just a touch below your upper teeth).
- think about something just a bit funny or naughty.
- tilt your head a bit to the right.

It feels really, really weird at first but believe me it does look like a natural smile - you might want to work with a partner on this. Just don't overdo the steps or you'll look a lot like Dr. Sheldon Cooper when he forces a smile.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 1:40 am

I'm very self-conscious about my teeth, so I never smile broadly in a picture. I also have strabismus, which doesn't affect my vision too much but always makes me look weird. The only good thing about being nearsighted is my glasses help hide the strabismus.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 6:58 am

it depends on the part of the spectrum,as those of us who are LFA have very different issues around photography,we dont suffer the anxiety of having photos taken as we completely lack social rules.

have got a very high lip line due to development issues from intelectual disability and am missing three front teeth from extractions due to having had life long severe dental fluorosis from a l/l obsession with eating toothpaste so it looks very obvious to others but coudnt care less as only know and see life through own eyes.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 9:15 am

I almost never do that kind of smile.... Frankly looking at it logically, or well from my logic, it seems sort of an odd practice really. Why do they want you to show your teeth? Isn't that kind of a threatening gesture????

Kingdomofrats I used to LOVE eatting toothpaste!! !! !! !! I would eat it by the tube.

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 9:19 am

Most pictures of me I look angry, sad or distant and rarely looking at the camera. As I've gotten older I've gotten a little better at posing. I've posted a few selfies here, but I take them down because they make me feel exposed.