Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ZammnBae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2015, 12:31 pm

The only thing I have is the communication problem. I don't have the other stuff such as sensory problems or not understanding peoples feelings. I can do that fine but when I try to talk about myself my mind goes blank or I choke up on my words and don't know how to tell/end the story. But at first I thought it was depression. Does depression affect your communication as well or do you guys think its autism? I know yall can't give me a diagnoses but I just want advice.

Also one day when I got lots of sleep and I wasn't depressed I talked really well about myself and I didn't choke up at all and I was confident with lots of energy. But that only happens a few times. It's not consistent. Any advice is appreciated.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 3:29 pm

It seems to me like your depression is causing problems with confidence. You may have one or two traits of autism but not the full diagnosis. Ask yourself if you have these symptoms:
- trouble making friends
- preferring to be by yourself
- trouble reading facial expressions, body language and other social cues
- acting inappropriately in social situations
- intense special interests (topics that you want to spend all your time learning about)
- need for routines
- repetitive motions like flapping hands or tapping feet
Also, ask yourself if you have had social problems since you were a young child.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm

There is alot that autism does.

ZammnBae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2015, 8:59 pm

TheAP wrote:
It seems to me like your depression is causing problems with confidence. You may have one or two traits of autism but not the full diagnosis. Ask yourself if you have these symptoms:
- trouble making friends
- intense special interests (topics that you want to spend all your time learning about)
- need for routines
Also, ask yourself if you have had social problems since you were a young child.
I do have trouble making friends because I like to rush things and want them to happen quickly and also because of my lack of communication skills. But mostly everything else you listed I don't have. However if I do have some autism is there a way to learn communication skills or will you always struggle with not being able to communicate?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 9:11 pm

ZammnBae wrote:
TheAP wrote:
- trouble making friends
- need for routines
I do have trouble making friends because I like to rush things and want them to happen quickly and also because of my lack of communication skills. But mostly everything else you listed I don't have. However if I do have some autism is there a way to learn communication skills or will you always struggle with not being able to communicate?

Each individual is different in this regard whether they have autism or not. Furthermore, if you do in fact have autism you may develop some of those secondary symptoms later. The only thing you can do is practice social interaction-- that means getting out there and talking to people even if it's not about yourself. Practice listening and then slowly start incorporating self talk into the discussion.

ZammnBae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2015, 9:26 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
ZammnBae wrote:
TheAP wrote:
- trouble making friends
- need for routines

Each individual is different in this regard whether they have autism or not. Furthermore, if you do in fact have autism you may develop some of those secondary symptoms later. The only thing you can do is practice social interaction-- that means getting out there and talking to people even if it's not about yourself. Practice listening and then slowly start incorporating self talk into the discussion.
Well I took a austim quiz and I know that those aren't diagnoses but they are a good starting point and it said that I'm likely not suffering from autism. However if its not autism I was wondering where else could my communication problems come from. Maybe its from me always being in homeschool and I didn't have time to learn them like the rest of kids. I know mind blank can happen with depression but i'm not sure if that has something to do with communication.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

ZammnBae wrote:
Well I took a austim quiz and I know that those aren't diagnoses but they are a good starting point and it said that I'm likely not suffering from autism. However if its not autism I was wondering where else could my communication problems come from. Maybe its from me always being in homeschool and I didn't have time to learn them like the rest of kids. I know mind blank can happen with depression but i'm not sure if that has something to do with communication.

It could also be social anxiety disorder, but I don't know enough about that issue to offer advice. It's obvious it's an issue for you, I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist-- they should have the tools to properly diagnosis what's going on and offer you a remedy.