Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2016, 5:42 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Neurotypical language can be very ambiguous and imprecise.

I'm not neurotypical. I grew up an undiagnosed female in the 80's, and I learned to blend in (somewhat) with NTs by constantly policing my speech, clothing, and body language. Having a son who, while also on the spectrum, is my complete opposite in terms of personality is very challenging to me.

I suppose especially so given the higher expectations on females regarding speech, clothing, and body language.

Being an introverted male makes it easier to avoid or minimise interactions. I don't [need to] care what others think of my appearance.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 6:04 am

I was outgoing child like a friendly puppy and attracted to the "new". Also prone to blurting things.

Approaching school age I was still outgoing, therapies had tamed me to watch commenting.
With special exceptions I did not like my actual peers. I liked "being helpful" to older people and grandparents.

My outgoing vibe had major crash and burn in the 80s and teens because though friendly "Pollyanna" in small groups, large groups/malls/crowds would have me from friendly to freaked out within an hour. A mall can have me diagnosed as agoraphobic if the dx test is within hours of being in there. IN early hours or late I love it, but holidays or weekends?! Nooope. I do my Christmas shopping starting in Summer.

In my later years I became more selective of friends vs acquaintance after a few hard burns. And last decade, I kinda hated humans in general. I have recently relaxed and allow myself to ignore the annoyances .

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 6:11 am

jbw wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Neurotypical language can be very ambiguous and imprecise.

I'm not neurotypical. I grew up an undiagnosed female in the 80's, and I learned to blend in (somewhat) with NTs by constantly policing my speech, clothing, and body language. Having a son who, while also on the spectrum, is my complete opposite in terms of personality is very challenging to me.

I suppose especially so given the higher expectations on females regarding speech, clothing, and body language.

Being an introverted male makes it easier to avoid or minimise interactions. I don't [need to] care what others think of my appearance.

I definitely had an experience like Yippy's, but I spent much more time with my NT mom than my dad (who did everything to avoid those social interactions). Are there any other males here with a similar upbringing? I feel like the only one, and can relate far more to all of the posts/blogs/etc. by females dealing with ASD.

I can be outgoing, but have definite social limits and burn out fast. For example, my face will fall asleep if I try to look expressive too much for too long.

INTPnarwhal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2016, 3:08 pm

highllama wrote:
my face will fall asleep if I try to look expressive too much for too long.

Me too! When I feel especially relaxed and confident in who I really am I don't try as much to be expressive but then others (mostly my mom) think I'm feeling depressed and keep asking me what's wrong.

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2016, 5:01 pm

Yes, I'm not only outgoing, but I have a weird form of social skills that may not be normal, but they work very well.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 5:37 pm

INTPnarwhal wrote:
highllama wrote:
my face will fall asleep if I try to look expressive too much for too long.

Me too! When I feel especially relaxed and confident in who I really am I don't try as much to be expressive but then others (mostly my mom) think I'm feeling depressed and keep asking me what's wrong.

Ah, finally someone who doesn't think I'm crazy for saying that! When someone makes me laugh a lot I don't make much noise, but I will get lightheaded and feel faint. Does that happen to you too?

INTPnarwhal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2016, 10:04 pm

HighLlama wrote:
When someone makes me laugh a lot I don't make much noise, but I will get lightheaded and feel faint. Does that happen to you too?

Mmm yes and no; I'm a quiet laugher but it doesn't make me lightheaded.

If you watch anime you'll know what I mean when I say there's a common trope of expressionless characters with sort of deadpan or blank looking faces. Those are the ones I tend to relate to the most.