Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 5:31 pm

No, they say, "I wish you would at least try to be normal."

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 5:40 pm

my parents actually wanted me to be different, because "normal" was unacceptable and just not good enough. i was well above average in school, which gave them more chance to keep thinking like that and drilling that notion into my head (same thing with my siblings too, to a lesser extent). my therapist used to say that this is common in families where both parents are teachers, which isn't hard to believe

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

My dad says I'm normal, but my mom doesn't. My dad is in denial about my Autism and has always been. My mom understands it more and accepts my differences, most of the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 8:44 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
My mom says I am not normal because I have AS. She believes that males who have AS are weak and/or pretend to have AS just because they are male.

I thought you said your mom thinks you didn't have it anymore? Did she change her mind?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 10:04 pm

Both of my parents have said to me multiple times, 'Why can't you just be normal?'

So, no. My parents don't say I'm normal.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2016, 7:12 am

My parents always used to say how abnormal/unusual I was but just recently the following happened.

I'm in the process of getting an official diagnosis and one part of that procedure is that they send a form to your parents asking about your childhood. I was supposed to tell them to expect this form in the post but procrastinated for a few months. A few weeks back I phoned (yuck!) to tell them. My mum said that they had already received, filled it in and sent it back - all without asking me what the form was about. Yes, they filled in a form with my personal details without knowing what it was about! Anyway, after huffing and puffing for a few minutes I asked what they wrote on the form? She said that she just wrote that I was pretty normal! Well, thank you, Mother! I Reminded her of all the things that they've said about my behaviour over the years but she didn't think it was important. I don't know if they were indignant that someone has suggested that their son was unusual or what.

Parents are weird!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Oct 2016, 10:12 am

Neither parent thought I was normal growing up, so I saw the school speech therapist on a semi regular basis. It wasn't until I was in high school and I "rebelled" by refusing to go to that therapist in my senior year. When I finally got diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 28, it was mostly through my parents describing my abnormal childhood that I got diagnosed. If they thought I was normal, it's doubtful I would have been diagnosed.

olbond877
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2016, 3:21 pm

sock puppet text removed by moderator.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 5:06 pm

League_Girl wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
My mom says I am not normal because I have AS. She believes that males who have AS are weak and/or pretend to have AS just because they are male.

I thought you said your mom thinks you didn't have it anymore? Did she change her mind?

Not at all, but she does indeed believe that males who have AS grow out of it faster than women. :roll:

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 5:15 pm

My parents don't think im normal but they don't think I'm weird eithier. My family says now we know why I am how I am then I can learn to cope with things better etc. They all accepted my diagnosis before I did. Also I was born early and my dad said he doesn't expect me to be completely normal because I came out too early.

IxEve
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2016, 4:53 am

My Mum tells me alot ''you're not as mixed up as you think you are" and "don't be silly, you're normal!" I find it frustrating as even though she is trying to make me feel better I don't feel like she's taking me seriously. It doesn't help that us 3 daughters aren't biologically related and because we're so different from each other being odd kind of is normal, to her.

She said the other day that all my social and behavioural issues as a child and teen came right so what am I worried about?

It's called coping mechanisms and mimicking Mum, just cause you never had to create a new persona so you could hold down a job or just function in society...
I love my Mum, she's my biggest cheerleader. But I feel like she's always searching for a rational explanation - it's your teacher, the school, the rest of the girls in your class.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 169 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 41 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 5:43 am

In, short no. In long the parents, I live with as of now, No. My biological mother Yes.