How are you with people joking around? How about sarcasm?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ReaperDan84
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2016, 1:19 pm

I don't have have a problem detecting sarcasm if I know the person well enough to pick up on it.

Not really a fan of "banter" in that I feel that, more often than not now, NT's use it as an excuse to be genuinely horrible to people under the guise of "joking around".

I also have a really warped/dark sense of humour and this annoying talent of being reflexively horrible to people who try to insult me which can cause problems.

Lost my mind, God help the person that finds it

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 4:59 pm

I have very sarcastic humor. I can dish it out, can't understand when it's dished out by someone else though.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 5:09 pm

im great at puns, i do them all the time 24/7 haha. so i guess i joke around a fair amount of the time. sarcasm wise, i only get it when my family do it (they do it all the time haha) but outside of my family i cant pick up on it at all, i take everything literally haha....to hilarious consequences

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 7:49 pm

Once one of my classmates dressed up as Sarcasm for Halloween. She just wore a shirt that said "scary". To this day, my best guess is that since she was a little kid, nobody would think she's scary. Or maybe it's because Halloween doesn't scare her. But it took me a year of thinking about it to even come to those two conclusions.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 9:20 pm

^Maybe it's because she wasn't actually putting any effort into appearing scary?

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 9:28 pm

My mom wishes I never learned sarcasm. I had to be taught it in speech therapy, but once I learned what it was and how to detect it, I started abusing the newfound knowledge and never stopped.

I love joking around and I rarely get offended unless a joke is obviously at somebody's expense. Pretty much anything will make me laugh except gross-out humor. I never understood the humor in it. Humans are supposed to instinctively avoid things that look sickly, right?

Joking is better than crying, or laying in bed motionless with an existential crisis. It also makes other people happier which is good. It's a good coping mechanism and it helps people process things that are difficult to face.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 10:45 pm

I grew up in the SW of England and anyone that knows that area will realise many conversations hinge on sarcastic banter. So in essence i grew up with it.. I wouldn't always get it and would make a few laugh when they thought i was taking them seriously and tended to laugh with them just to m,ask any embarrassment.. I thought i was pretty good in that area but recent events are now making me question that! lol... present flatmate realizes i dont always get it so he is constantly being sarcastic or joking around and do tend to take him rather literally... There are a few other factors as to why i likely take him a little more seriously than most but i am now realizing maybe im not that great at picking it up! lol... Its all good though, im used to it so tend to respond in kind :)... However when im being sarcastic everyone thinks im being 'real', and when im not being sarcastic people think i am! Cant win! lol, such is the paradox! 8O

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 12:03 am

judging from the initial failure of swiftian satire re: potato famine, even NTs sometimes fall down when having to parse satirical sarcasm from seriousness.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 12:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
judging from the initial failure of swiftian satire re: potato famine, even NTs sometimes fall down when having to parse satirical sarcasm from seriousness.

Yup, they sure do, but when your 3rd flatmate is also giggling at you, you pretty much know it flew over the cuckoos nest so to speak! lol