Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 6:03 pm

Why Aspergers people have to get alot of anxiety or panic attacks? I don't know the difference between anxiety & being panic? I been looking things up to understand what it's means, I still can get confused when I look up that word. Does anyone else look up words? I like dictionary.com, it looks easy to understand. I know they say books for dummies, but I am a dummy when it comes to knowing words, I used to understand so much better when I was younger. With the anxiety & getting panic, I also get so overwhelmed & feel like I can't breathe. I also VERY SENSITIVE to noise, I'm planning to move out of here, I never really wanted to live here, the upstairs noise is Tooooo Much for me, I feel like my ears are bleeding, it is because my apartment has hardwood floors that why I can hear them. My sister found this apartment for me, when she show me this apartment online, I told her no, she got mad at me, we looked at other apartments, she told me I can be picky, to want things for my special needs, can you still say special needs for adults? Later I didn't find any apartments, time was running out, I was living with my sister at my mom's house, we were getting ready to sell her house. My sister then told me not to be picky with looking for apartments, she talked me into looking at the apartment she wanted from for me, I looked at the apartment, I agreed to live here, I wasn't in my right mind. When she brought a house for her & her son, she was picky, she remodel the house. All my life I had MORE bad luck than good luck. Now my cat meowing hurt me sooooo much, she don't hurt me all the time with her meowing, I don't know what to do.

Why can't my sister realize she did worse damage than I did when we were living together? She should of known about me being clumsy, I kept tripping over boxes & once when I fell, she didn't help me get up. With everything she did, she ruined my life & our relationship.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 12:52 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
...she told me I can be picky, to want things for my special needs, can you still say special needs for adults?

Absolutely! Many adults have needs other people don't (special needs), just as people any age do.

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why can't my sister realize she did worse damage than I did when we were living together? She should of known about me being clumsy, I kept tripping over boxes & once when I fell, she didn't help me get up. With everything she did, she ruined my life & our relationship.

She probably meant well, but doesn't fully understand since she doesn't experience these things directly. Are there things you can do to make your current surroundings more pleasant? Things like putting rugs down to dampen the noise from the hard floors, have some earplugs available, find and address cause of cat meowing (hungry, lonely, etc.).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 2:54 am

Anxiety is feeling nervous and worried. Panic is when you finally freak out over those feelings. It's like anxiety is the fuse and panic is the bomb going off. Because people with autism take in so much sensory input, it makes us feel nervous. It triggers that part of the brain that reacts to danger, that's called the fight or flight response, and that triggers anxiety, which triggers panic.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 3:45 am

People with any form of ASD are more prone to anxiety and panic attacks than the general population because of their inability to understand and process their surroundings 'normally'. Many situations which most NTs would find tolerable or even pleasant are overstimulating and confusing to their ND counterparts. Whilst this confusion and overstimulation itself can cause anxiety, or even panic in those with ASD, it also means that additional minor negative stimuli can cause extreme reactions. This can be well described by the metaphor 'the straw that broke the camel's back', as the distress caused by the general situation or environment predisposes the ND person to become anxious or panicked when faced with even minor issues.

I don't know what happened to my expression there, but I hope that this helps. :D

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 2:43 am

I'm having more panic attacks than anxiety, I think I know why, this have to do with my mom, I depended on her sooooo much, she took care of me when I became an adult. I moved out of her house when I was 37, when I was living on my own, she still took care of me. Now that my mom is gone, I have to do more things for myself & that is sooo very scary, when I have a panic attack, I feel like I want to hide, I feel like I'm going very mentally crazy. I wanted to die when I loss my mom, I moved in with my sister at my mom's house, she had a pool, I can't swim, I kept daydreaming of killing myself by drowning. This may not have anything to do with Asperger, but me being sensitive to noise have to do with Asperger.