Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 7:42 pm

So, on the WP-irc it has been pointed out to me that I *may* be approaching burnout due to sudden speech impediment. Advice would be helpful.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ Engaged to my lovely fiancee katelyn <3
ISTJ-A - HSP - 21 - AQ - 43 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 69 - RAADS-R - 196 - Aspie Quiz (AS:176/NT:30)ADHD, dysgraphia, ASD Lvl 2, social phobia, Panic Disorder, PTSD, BPD, schizoaffective Memory Loss + cognitive impairment + varying degrees of coherency.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

Burnout at age 13?
World moves at the speed of light these days, apparently.
Guess all I can say, without knowing more,
is slow down.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2016, 7:48 pm

Speech problems are a sign of burnout?

I'll be monitoring this thread.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 7:54 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Burnout at age 13?
World moves at the speed of light these days, apparently.
Guess all I can say, without knowing more,
is slow down.

How do you supposed I do that? :? I really don't have much of a choice he due to the legal system where I live. It's occording to what "they think" is me functioning okay. So. :? I'm kinda caught between a rock and a hard place.
Xile123: I sayed *may* keyword *may*. It's unusaul for me to randomly start having speech problems that have never happened before, in my life. It's a new thing. if you don't get it *may* not completely confirmed, but *may*. Okay hopefully you get it by now. If there is some confusion. There are other things for example typing is getting harder. Well, over the past few months stuff got worse. So, I'm assuming it is burnout because. Well, it is the only thing that makes sense. Here is a reddit thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/autism/comment ... c_burnout/

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ Engaged to my lovely fiancee katelyn <3
ISTJ-A - HSP - 21 - AQ - 43 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 69 - RAADS-R - 196 - Aspie Quiz (AS:176/NT:30)ADHD, dysgraphia, ASD Lvl 2, social phobia, Panic Disorder, PTSD, BPD, schizoaffective Memory Loss + cognitive impairment + varying degrees of coherency.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ

Last edited by Pieplup on 29 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 7:55 pm

Unless you have a strong medical reason to suspect it's simply burnout, I would suggest a thorough workup by a competent neurologist.

I have my normal speech issues, but then--one day--I experienced sudden speech loss. I, too, suspected something like burnout, so I rested. The next day when I still could not speak, I decided to see a Dr who told me to head to the ER. That hospital knew I was on the spectrum and told me it was "autistic stress"...go home and rest.

Long story, but the "punchline" is: I had a stroke. It took me 13 days to find out. If it had been worse, I would've been dead. If I had gone right to the better ER (trauma 1 center), I would've had a proper stroke workup and it might not have done as much damage.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

There are other things (like seizures) that could be the source of your issue.

I just highly suggest you see a neurologist before deciding for certain it's just burnout/stress/etc. (And if it IS that...seeing a competent psychiatrist would be helpful for some anxiety or other medication.)

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 8:11 pm

screen_name wrote:
Unless you have a strong medical reason to suspect it's simply burnout, I would suggest a thorough workup by a competent neurologist.

I have my normal speech issues, but then--one day--I experienced sudden speech loss. I, too, suspected something like burnout, so I rested. The next day when I still could not speak, I decided to see a Dr who told me to head to the ER. That hospital knew I was on the spectrum and told me it was "autistic stress"...go home and rest.

Long story, but the "punchline" is: I had a stroke. It took me 13 days to find out. If it had been worse, I would've been dead. If I had gone right to the better ER (trauma 1 center), I would've had a proper stroke workup and it might not have done as much damage.
It's been over the past couple months starting in around november. It's gradually gotten worse. Not like one day speech loss or the next day. As for strong medical reason depending on what you mean by that I may or may not have that. So, :? I am officially diagnosed, so. Though I don't know what you define as strong? Stronger than maybe you're. The best I can do is talk to my psychiatrist. It's getting harder for me to spell. It's more like all my existing, worse. I already have dysgraphia, had minor speech problems like not being able to say r correctly, etc. I wouldn't have broguht it up if it wasn't for that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 9:02 pm

Having burnout at age 13 actually makes sense. Hormones are going into overdrive, expectations are increasing.
Stimming is the autistic way of dealing with stress. Even a few minutes here and there in the bathroom could be of help. Of course get the sleep you need, eat a proper diet etc.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 9:38 pm

All I can think of is make your parents, teachers, psychiatrist, whoever your supports are, aware of the situation. Or alert them if it starts to get worse. On your part get enough sleep and nutrition. Keeping up on electrolytes has always been an issue with me ever since I turned 13. - 13 is a challenging time with both body and brain hormone changes plus the more demanding workload of middle school. So as a kid you know you're more at the mercy of the adults who look after you to decide on a course of action if one needs to be taken. How much has your schoolwork been suffering? Lower grades? Stuff being turned in late or incomplete?

mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

I'm still recovering from a severe burnout in 2015.
It's hard to convert my thoughts in to spoken/written words. But these two links will make a lot of sense, if it's burnout.

https://musingsofanaspie.com/2013/12/19 ... daptation/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZwfujkNBGk

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 10:50 am

EzraS wrote:
All I can think of is make your parents, teachers, psychiatrist, whoever your supports are, aware of the situation. Or alert them if it starts to get worse. On your part get enough sleep and nutrition. Keeping up on electrolytes has always been an issue with me ever since I turned 13. - 13 is a challenging time with both body and brain hormone changes plus the more demanding workload of middle school. So as a kid you know you're more at the mercy of the adults who look after you to decide on a course of action if one needs to be taken. How much has your schoolwork been suffering? Lower grades? Stuff being turned in late or incomplete?

Somewhat. I'm having a harder time for sure. I've already talking to my parents I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist. I'm going to talk to the school counsler. She's kinda a Takes what you say and doesn't do what your saying kinda person so. I have problems with those kind of people. I'd like to say. That it's not just that. It might not just be school though. It started around november.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:09 pm

I also had a harder time at your age. I used to be better as a child and handled things better but then I got anxiety and I could no longer deal with it. Yes I did go to the psychiatrist, I got several diagnoses, I was also in hormone therapy at 13 and put on birth control because I was so sensitive and getting offended over little things and getting more upset about stuff. I don't know if this was a burnout or not but puberty is tough for all teens so everyone gets worse but it's worse for those on the spectrum. New problems develop. I remember I got more tactile defensive, I got more impulsive according to my mother, I got somewhat aggressive, I got an adjustment disorder. I also remember part of the problem was I didn't accept myself and I just wanted to be normal and I couldn't take it anymore. I don't know if that was a burnout but everyone called it falling apart, depression, adjustment disorder and the other part of it was I was being teased and harassed in school and I couldn't handle it anymore and part of it was the medicine I was on so they were giving me seizures in school because of anxiety. There were other names for it. Even NTs can go through a burnout too but I think they call it a nervous breakdown or adjustment disorder or anxiety. I notice it's only been autistic people who have called it a burnout because this is never address by professionals so I am sure they have also used other labels for it like they do for NTs.

I hope your parents will be more understanding and not think you are trying to be Asperger's or more severe.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 2:16 pm

I was German-speaking and clinically-deaf, in primary school, so had to take speech classes, to sound American. I think I am self-censoring, somewhat automatically. If I am becoming physically-ill, or in a state of exhaustion, it comes out, in a Dexter's Lab / Arnold Schwarzenegger kind of way.

But, it's not out of the blue. It's how I used to talk.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2016, 3:27 pm

For my edification... what is burnout in reference to ASD? Burnout of what exactly?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 4:00 pm

OhkaBaka wrote:
For my edification... what is burnout in reference to ASD? Burnout of what exactly?

I already linked to ina previous post.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 4:12 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I also had a harder time at your age. I used to be better as a child and handled things better but then I got anxiety and I could no longer deal with it. Yes I did go to the psychiatrist, I got several diagnoses, I was also in hormone therapy at 13 and put on birth control because I was so sensitive and getting offended over little things and getting more upset about stuff. I don't know if this was a burnout or not but puberty is tough for all teens so everyone gets worse but it's worse for those on the spectrum. New problems develop. I remember I got more tactile defensive, I got more impulsive according to my mother, I got somewhat aggressive, I got an adjustment disorder. I also remember part of the problem was I didn't accept myself and I just wanted to be normal and I couldn't take it anymore. I don't know if that was a burnout but everyone called it falling apart, depression, adjustment disorder and the other part of it was I was being teased and harassed in school and I couldn't handle it anymore and part of it was the medicine I was on so they were giving me seizures in school because of anxiety. There were other names for it. Even NTs can go through a burnout too but I think they call it a nervous breakdown or adjustment disorder or anxiety. I notice it's only been autistic people who have called it a burnout because this is never address by professionals so I am sure they have also used other labels for it like they do for NTs.

I hope your parents will be more understanding and not think you are trying to be Asperger's or more severe.

I've heard other people. Well only once. But I've heard other people. Not in the same sense. My parents are more part of the problem though. If there is such a thing it probably be called autistic regression. I'm sick of their unrealistic expectations. They're comparing me to people who I can't be. They are just making things worse for me. They think it will help me. It just makes everything worse.