Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Lateralus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2007, 3:42 am

Maths dyslexia i didn't know this existed well my parents said i had maths dyslexia quite some years ago weither or not they where makeing it up i don't know but they said dyspraxia which i think they ment dyscalculia which is Maths dyslexia anyone here have it? I think i do.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 7:30 am

I have a "strangeness" of a sort about math. I can do it, and even well assuming that I nuderstand the concepts involved.

Like the equation for aircraft stall speed. No trouble as it inclueds: weight, wing area, coefficent of life, atmospheric density, a few constants, and arrives at a speed. No worries.

On the other hand, an expression (this is so oft in math class) of a lot of "X and Y and Q" just hanging there, where no - nor Y norQ means a thing. . .I am lost at sea.

And if a string of numbers must be worked on, I will have to check them well or I will likely get them all out of order.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2007, 8:19 am

Me and numbers just don't get along.

I remember causing my poor dad near-heart attacks when he would try to help me with my math homework in grade school. I couldn't even grasp the concept of adding two pennies to five pennies...

I enjoyed multiplication because I had no problems remembering the tables, and loved geometric shapes, but beyond that, I'm in the dark.

--Edgar Allan Poe

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2007, 8:21 am

Lateralus wrote:
Maths dyslexia i didn't know this existed well my parents said i had maths dyslexia quite some years ago weither or not they where makeing it up i don't know but they said dyspraxia which i think they ment dyscalculia which is Maths dyslexia anyone here have it? I think i do.

i don't have it, i was quite slow to take to maths. i think that i just suddenly 'got it' after our head teacher took our class for a one off maths lesson when i was about 7/8 since then numbers have been fairly easy for me.

quite often i have a feel for numbers and i can calculate something in my brain but not explain the break down of how i came to a figure. this was not very useful at school as they always ask you to show your 'working out'.

but dyscalculia is such a great word!

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:21 am

nutbag wrote:
And if a string of numbers must be worked on, I will have to check them well or I will likely get them all out of order.

Me too. I have a tendency to double the wrong number in a string where one number is repeated. Like if a phone number ends in 3445, and I'll dial 3345 or 3455 instead.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:43 am

There have been times when I have gotten every problem wrong on a math test....but I am REeeelly good at dominoes...(which involves adding)...I kick butt on a regular basis whenever i play...Algebra sends me swirling into a hole of absolute failure...

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2007, 9:21 am

I don't know if this counts, but on a difficult math problem I'll usually be able to grasp the advanced concept involved but flub the answer because of an arithmetic error, or forgetting to convert from feet to inches or something small like that. This is called careless error and really hurt me on the SAT (my comp score is still 90th percentile but I think I could have done better) which tests specifically for careless error.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:28 am

yes, I think I have 'discalcula.' My eye glosses over numbers. . like when the numbers appear in books or on paper or computer screen, my eye will just 'roll over' the numbers and see it as so much squiggly lines. Sometimes my eyes (or what my eyes see as interpreted by my brain) just blanks it out. This also happens with text, I just don't 'see' the right side of the paragraph.

When I was growing up I thought it was odd that I couldn't force my brain on the right side of the paragraph, and the resulting confusion over the paragraph could be taken from the context of the rest of it. I got real smart surmising stuff, but it didn't work with math ! (isn't it interesting, in The States, math is singular, and other places in the world, maths are plural.

Merle

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:37 am

I did well on my math homework, and understood the concepts, but got nervous at examination time. This lowered my grade to a C. I was very good at math as a child, but got bored when they started with wacky educational theories. I thought these methods were aimed at the slowest students and I got sick of being held back. Had I continued to learn math the regular way, I still might be interested in it. I was proud of my B in a Math in Society course in college, which involved elements of algebra, geometry and statistics.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 10:24 am

Yes, Xenon's phone numbers. . .I do, Love having a directory of (succesfully called) numbers in my phone. I can mess them up evn if I have entered them many times.

And Beautifulspam's being able to to a complec function except some trivial error along the way. If I need to do any sort of real math, I always write out every step including things like "feet-12 =inches" as I miss that sort of thing too.

Aint it always fun to realize you are not alone?

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2007, 10:36 am

I'm very good at arithmetic and statistics, but algebra, etc. was always hard. I think I've got pretty bad dyspraxia, and maybe my higher math problems come from having difficulty determining left and right, so that it's hard to manipulate the number values back and forth in my head to that sophisticated degree.

I've always wanted to get a tutor and see how far I really could go with math. I gave up after one college algebra class, yet I aced the statistics class. My teacher told me I was the talk of the math department, the girl who could barely pass algebra but loved statistics. Actually they're totally different concepts, so I don't know why they were so surprised. I think my failure with math came from bad teaching very early. I could work out lots of problems just by logic alone, but since they demanded that I "prove" how I got the answer, I'd get frustrated and I eventually gave up on math emotionally. I'd like to revisit it and conquer my math phobia, but it'd have to be in the right educational setting, otherwise I'd be back in the same mess again.

liza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2007, 5:55 pm

About 20 years ago I spoke with 2 ed psych buddies about leaning disorders and was told I probably had dyscalculus. Basically I scored very badly in all math classes, music lessons and time telling (could not tell time till 4th grade). In high school they tested me for all kinds of stuff and put me in a reading class and was taught to speed read. Said they could not figure out why I did so poorly in school since my IQ was "normal". I did graduate from college with the math teacher coaching me through the final. She knew I would not need any thing more then basic math skills to get through life. I now own a successful business and my AS husband runs the books. I can barely balance a check book. Drove my father crazy trying to teach me math. He was an engineer graduated from Virgina Tech or VPI back then. I was ridiculed as I stood at the blackboard crying during 3rd grade. Just could not grasp the concept of carry-over. But I can look at a space and tell you with-out measuring if a sofa will fit there or not!

Lateralus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2007, 7:54 am

liza wrote:
About 20 years ago I spoke with 2 ed psych buddies about leaning disorders and was told I probably had dyscalculus. Basically I scored very badly in all math classes, music lessons and time telling (could not tell time till 4th grade). In high school they tested me for all kinds of stuff and put me in a reading class and was taught to speed read. Said they could not figure out why I did so poorly in school since my IQ was "normal". I did graduate from college with the math teacher coaching me through the final. She knew I would not need any thing more then basic math skills to get through life. I now own a successful business and my AS husband runs the books. I can barely balance a check book. Drove my father crazy trying to teach me math. He was an engineer graduated from Virgina Tech or VPI back then. I was ridiculed as I stood at the blackboard crying during 3rd grade. Just could not grasp the concept of carry-over. But I can look at a space and tell you with-out measuring if a sofa will fit there or not!

Yeah basic maths i was alright with like + - times table but when you had to carry over stuff i thought what is the point of this concept why not add the numbers up lol.