Does the Asperger Syndrome still exist as diagnosis?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 2:08 am

will@rd wrote:
In any case, IMO the differences are so negligible as to be insignificant, which is why DSM-V rolls them together.

Aspergers was subsumed into Autism because it was thought Aspergers was bieng overdiagnosed costing insurence companies and school districts money. True or not true, the idea that Aspergers was subsumed into Autism because of lack of difference between two was the party line that has been sold successfully.

Why Claim Aspergers Is Overdiagnosed

Quote:
Susan Swedo, chair of the DSM-5 neurodevelopmental disorders workgroup, said in May that many people who identify with Asperger’s Syndrome “don't actually have Asperger's disorder, much less an autism spectrum disorder.”

David Kupfer, chair of the task force charged with the DSM revisions, blurted to the New York Times in January: “We have to make sure not everybody who is a little odd gets a diagnosis of autism or Asperger Disorder. It involves a use of treatment resources. It becomes a cost issue.” (This was startling to those who’d missed the memo that declared costs and treatment resources the responsibility of the APA. Which was everyone.)

Catherine Lord, the director of the Institute for Brain Development at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and another member of the workgroup, told Scientific American in January, “If the DSM-IV criteria are taken too literally, anybody in the world could qualify for Asperger's or PDD-NOS... We need to make sure the criteria are not pulling in kids who do not have these disorders.”

Paul Steinberg, a D.C. psychiatrist, declared in a New York Times op-ed in January that “with the loosening of the diagnosis of Asperger, children and adults who are shy and timid, who have quirky interests like train schedules and baseball statistics, and who have trouble relating to their peers” are erroneously and harmfully labeled autistic. He blamed a 1992 Department of Education directive that “called for enhanced services" for children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders: “The diagnosis of Asperger syndrome went through the roof."

Dr. Bryna Siegel, a developmental psychologist at the University of California, San Francisco, told a Daily Beast reporter in February that she “undiagnoses” nine of out ten students with so-called Asperger’s. Siegel was a member of the panel responsible for the inclusion of Asperger’s in the DSM-IV, which the reporter cited to me in a phone call as evidence of Seigel's objectivity: implicitly, Seigel is critiquing her own work. But that same journalist made no mention in the piece of Dr. Seigel’s history as an expert witness for school districts fending off families’ claims for those “enhanced services,” and the obvious conflict of interest (as well as the selection bias in her client pool) this represents. In October, she told New York magazine that she undiagnoses six out of ten. That's quite a shift in eight months. Hope it was evidence-based.

Bolding mine

IMHO call it, "High Functioning Autism", call it "mild autism", call it "Aspergers" it is a sub type of of autism. It should never have been a seperate diagnosis in the first place and correcting that mistake by getting rid of it altogether doubled down on the original mistake. We have subtypes for almost all conditions but for autism it has to be different (again).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm

Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
As teen i was diagnosis for having Asperger Syndrome, but now i learned that now is just autism spectrum disorder ?

How is it?

Not all countries use the DSM-V. My country uses DSM-V so I'm not very familiar with the ICD but I'm pretty sure it has Asperger's Syndrome. I also have an old Diagnosis. I have PDD-nos rather than AS. As what to go by. It's personal preference, I prefer autisitic. but you should introduce yourself, as you want. I'm pretty sure DSM-V is the only one that has ASD as a single diagnosis. What ever you want to introduce yourself is okay. If you feel like you have to call yourself that. P.S. I'm having social isolation problems.

I'm sorry you're having social isolation problems, Pieplup :( . I really enjoy reading your posts :D .

thx :P

Have you played Pokemon: Moon yet? I'm playing through it right now :D .
I almost have my Pokedex completed I only need like 12 more Pokemon. Only 1 of which is a trade evolution. :D

blue is very nice. soothing. intentional?

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

My original diagnosis was Asperger's Syndrome, then the DSM changed as I was applying for Vocational Rehab services thru the state where I live. So she changed and now its ASD level 2. She said if there were half levels, I would be a 1.5 most of the time, but I have enough challenges to put me at a level 2. Dodger.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

mitchel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2017, 5:57 pm

It's hard to value the DSM when I find myself educating psychologists on matters pertaining to Autism. The more I read about Hans Asperger, the more I prefer the label over ASD.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2017, 5:08 am

If the clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist or paediatrician or whatever the doctor you are being served utilizes two or more of these multidisciplinary fields of diagnostic medicine prefers using the DSM V, which is more predominantly used for psychiatric diagnostic research in USA/Canada, the term "Asperger's Syndrome" (AS) is obviated and the majority of these cases are incorporated under the broad Autism Spectrum Disorder (those that don't would fit under the "Social Communication Disorder" label, which is not a subcategory of ASD), most of which that are would be folded under the ASD level (1) subcategory which now includes those diagnosed with the much less prevalent "High Functioning Autism" (HFA).

If they prefer the ICD, the ICD 11 has long propounded using the terms "Asperger's Syndrome" & "Asperger's Disorder" as indexes under the "Autism spectrum disorder without disorder of intellectual development and with mild or no impairment of functional language" subcategory (6A02.1). It appears that the researchers wholly responsible for devising the ICD 11 Beta-Draft believe that the Asperger Neurotype profile is a preconditioned requisite that should be retained for prospective diagnosis and statistical analyses and now pertains to this ICD 11 category. That means that those with "High Functioning Autism" (HFA) who are served with the ICD by their practitioner through this manual can now refer to themselves as having "Asperger's Syndrome" if they wish as both AS/HFA are now subsumed under this ASD subcategory.

As someone who was and still is vehemently opposed to the abolition of "Asperger Syndrome" in the DSM 5 (even though I staunchly prefer being called "autistic" over "aspie"), and by my own propositioned conjecture, I think the "High Functioning Autistics" with the HFA diagnostic label should have been subsumed under a necessitated reformation of the criterion's indispensable for Asperger Syndrome that the DSM 5 should have done all planned, by allowing "significantly delayed speech in early childhood" (e.g. not speaking at age 2 or 3 - in my case I spoke single words at 18 months, but then sometime afterwards my speech development was hindered and was subsequently diagnosed with a speech and language disorder at age 3) & "exhibiting the classified aspects of classical autism in early childhood," hence that some people with Asperger's Syndrome displayed these characteristics growing up in early childhood and then a surreptitious acquisition of language development often involving formal, pedantic speaking sentences and at least normal cognitive and intellectual development which is often well above average (this aligned with the Gillberg 1989 criteria), therefore transitioning to the High Functioning Spectrum of the ASD continuum; some of which, are given a professional AS diagnosis even though according the now superannuated DSM IV they should be labelled as having "High Functioning Autism" (can be a "Appeal to Authority" over the ICD).

I fervently believe that "High Functioning Autism" and "Asperger's Syndrome" are the same indistinguishable condition as the cherry picked traits that are discerned by research psychologists from both ASD profiles like "compromised verbal reasoning ability in HFA (which is often resolved by early intensive behavioural interventions and speech/language therapy) and thus better visual/spatial skills such as performance IQ quotient (I'm predominantly a visual learner)," "more sufficient empathizing abilities and theory of mind" in AS, "inquisitiveness for a wide variety of topics and objects for being preoccupied in" that those with AS have "less of" and "less motor coordination impediments" in HFA are nowhere near to do so as there are so many sampling fallacies and confounding variables to be considered reviewing prior to making an infallible conclusion. For me as someone from the UK, those who prefer the term "Asperger Syndrome" including who embrace the "aspie" identity should use the upcoming ICD 11 for diagnostic/medical services as they clearly favour this ASD neurotype that pertains to Hans Asperger's original work, not only that, DSM 5 is propagandising a false trilemma between its three convoluted and ambiguous levels of ASD severity, with scientists and doctors advocating it by being in favour of the APA's incredulous authority over their psychiatric classifications, conflicts of interest with the global medical industrial complex, and especially with the US's dehumanizing & ideologically motivated bureaucratic medical insurance industry that is enduring itself under our international debt based monetary & banking system by implementing price fixing and obviating unprofitable conditions like AS (welfare expenditures over pharmaceutical revenue generated from concurrent psychiatric conditions like Anxiety and Depressive Disorders that some with AS have) to retain their profit margins and engaging in even more lobbying activities such as bribing Demopublicans & Republicrats with the same old campaign contributions. :evil:

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 05 Aug 2017, 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2017, 6:18 am

The problem with the DSM is its written mostly by bean counters and not the ones that should be writing it. Because it deals with the payouts that medical insurance companies will pay, they have thier greedy little, no make that big fingers in it. I have heard talk that Asperger's Syndrome might be back in the next version of the DSM. Dodger

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 10:43 am

There has never been a "High Functioning Autism" diagnosis in the ICD or DSM manual or in any other manual I am aware of. Sometimes clinicians diagnose people with it on their own volition.

"High Functioning Autism" has been used proffessionally to describe autism with average to above avarage intelligence/IQ over 70. In the previous DSM IV manual "Aspergers Disorder" (not syndrome) was a form of High functioning autism with "no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)". IMHO what does toddler language skills matter if you are a teen and adult, ie "High Functioning Autism" and Aspergers is for all intents and purposes is describing the same condition.

The current DSM 5 manual has three Levels that is supposed to be based on severity/need for support.

In the DSM 5 manual "Autism Spectrum Disorder Level One without cognitive or language impairments" is for the most part the diagnosis being given to those who would have been given a diagnosis of "Aspergers Disorder" under the DSM IV

The current ICD 10 manual has a diagnosis of "Aspergers Syndrome". The next ICD 11 manual is expected to subsume Aspergers into a general Autism diagnosis as they tend to want to be consistent with the American DSM. Reports indicate that clinicians in ICD dominated locales are not diagnosing people with Aspergers in anticipation of it being eliminated.

DSM IV Autism Spectrum diagnosis criteria including "Aspergers Disorder"

DSM 5 Autism Spectum Disorder Criteria

ICD 10 Diagnostic Criteria for Aspergers Syndrome

ICD 11 beta draft for Autism Spectrum Disorder

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 05 Aug 2017, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mitchel

05 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

artfulldodger wrote:
The problem with the DSM is its written mostly by bean counters and not the ones that should be writing it. Because it deals with the payouts that medical insurance companies will pay, they have thier greedy little, no make that big fingers in it. I have heard talk that Asperger's Syndrome might be back in the next version of the DSM. Dodger

There's also that whole psychology/pseudoscience problem too :lol:

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2017, 5:21 am

Asperger Syndrome is being written out of the ICD 11 - it's ASD on the beta version too.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:02 am

In answer to the title of this thread - doesn't it vary between countries?

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in Britain in 2013.