Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,890
Location: Adelaide, Australia

14 Nov 2017, 8:05 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
5. Home Ownership - I own my house all paid for. I paid cash for it after saving up the money for it. It's amazing how much money you can save when you don't have to pay child support or having to raise a family.

You're doing very well. It's amazing how much money I can't save even though I don't have kids and I earn a decent salary. This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm immature.


Do you have any idea how much the interest is on a mortgage? If you get a 30-year mortgage. Over 2/3 of that will be interest. Of that 30-years. You pay only 10 years on principal and the other 20 is interest. If you save up the money and wait. Instead of paying interest. Now you earn interest. It only took me 8-years to save the money to buy my house and 1/3 of that was interest "earned" from the bank.

Yes I'm aware but if I spend a number of years to save up to buy a house I'll be paying rent at the same time.

Let's be very optimistic and say I can save $1,000 per month. At that rate it would take me 25 years to save for a basic apartment. But at the same time, I'm paying $1,400 per month in rent. So after 25 years when I've saved up $300,000 for a basic apartment, I've also paid $420,000 in rent so I could have a place to live while I was saving. So I pay $720,000 on a $300,000 apartment. That's not much better than a mortgage.

To compound that, during this 25 years, the value of the same apartment would increase, meaning I have to save four or five hundred thousand to buy an apartment that currently costs three hundred thousand. My rent would also increase. Both of these factors would further add to the cost but a mortgage doesn't increase if the home goes up in value.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,890
Location: Adelaide, Australia

14 Nov 2017, 8:07 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
It's amazing how much money I can't save even though I don't have kids and I earn a decent salary. This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm immature.


Maybe you eat out too much? That's what you said in another topic... cooking at home is a lot cheaper than eating in restaurants or ordering food.

But then I'd have to pay for the ingredients. I'm not sure if it would be that much cheaper. I've tried cooking a meal a few times but I usually end up spending $10 or $20 on the ingredients.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,187
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Nov 2017, 8:17 pm

It's always cheaper for me to cook for myself.

I sense that you are somewhat of a "gourmet" type of cook, RetroGamer.

As for me, I'm in the "meat and potatoes" camp. More like "meat and pasta" LOL

A 450 gm box of pasta costs about $1.00. A decent steak costs about $7-10 or so. Or stew beef. Various types of veggies cost like $1 or $1.50 frozen. The pasta sauce is like $2.49 a full jar. You use maybe half a far when you make this dish. This meal could last 2-3 days. You can substitute shrimp for this, or lamb, or any sort of meat.



B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

14 Nov 2017, 9:16 pm

I would love more balance on Wrong Planet, specifically a dedicated forum for threads focused (only) on success stories and achievements in AS lives, big and small, my first post there would dedicate a thread to this amazing young woman:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well ... -the-beast

The negativity that dominates most forums at present urgently needs a counterbalance, and a protected space for success to be celebrated without any poisoning of the well.



Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,904
Location: Where the Great Plains meet the Northern Pines

14 Nov 2017, 9:38 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

Do you have any idea how much the interest is on a mortgage? If you get a 30-year mortgage. Over 2/3 of that will be interest. Of that 30-years. You pay only 10 years on principal and the other 20 is interest. If you save up the money and wait. Instead of paying interest. Now you earn interest. It only took me 8-years to save the money to buy my house and 1/3 of that was interest "earned" from the bank.

Yes I'm aware but if I spend a number of years to save up to buy a house I'll be paying rent at the same time.

Let's be very optimistic and say I can save $1,000 per month. At that rate it would take me 25 years to save for a basic apartment. But at the same time, I'm paying $1,400 per month in rent. So after 25 years when I've saved up $300,000 for a basic apartment, I've also paid $420,000 in rent so I could have a place to live while I was saving. So I pay $720,000 on a $300,000 apartment. That's not much better than a mortgage.

To compound that, during this 25 years, the value of the same apartment would increase, meaning I have to save four or five hundred thousand to buy an apartment that currently costs three hundred thousand. My rent would also increase. Both of these factors would further add to the cost but a mortgage doesn't increase if the home goes up in value.[/quote]

Yep, it looks impossible for all but a few top-paid folk. That's why most home buyers get creative. If they buy a building, they rent at least half of it out. Or, they use an RV or other expedient for living. The capitalist economy will never willingly do more than keep you barely alive if you are hard to replace.



the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,489
Location: up from the ashes

14 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

B19 wrote:
I would love more balance on Wrong Planet, specifically a dedicated forum for threads focused (only) on success stories and achievements in AS lives, big and small, my first post there would dedicate a thread to this amazing young woman:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well ... -the-beast

The negativity that dominates most forums at present urgently needs a counterbalance, and a protected space for success to be celebrated without any poisoning of the well.


I agree.

And that said, I would like to say that while there's been many good things in my life, there have definitely been challenges and struggles too ... so for anybody thinking my life seems unrealistically "flowers and lollipops" or "rainbows and unicorns" or something, no it ain't perfect and yes it can be really hard at times. Just wanted to say this so that others out there know to keep going, keep doing their best, and that good things can happen. It usually requires work and being open to change.

Anyways, yes, I agree. 8)



xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2017
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 614
Location: Canada

14 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

I would say that I haven't really experienced adulthood as NTs have that's for sure. My emotional development appears stunted and feels unmoving at about the eight to nine year old level. Many of the milestones the most people have hit I simply haven't gotten to yet even at 42 years of age. Even something as simple as obtaining a car was a massive milestone for me and quite a big deal to handle.

For example, getting married, buying a house, even obtaining a girlfriend is something that I'm simply not interested in as to me they are such huge variables that I simply cannot control the outcome of. Too many variables and not enough constants - Story of My Life.

I'm not even ashamed to say that I still sleep with a teddy bear. Despite being a high functioning Autistic, I am still very much a child through and through.


_________________
*** High Functioning Autism - Asperger's Syndrome ***

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)


Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 519
Location: wrong universe

14 Nov 2017, 10:04 pm

Romance = very little / no interest in romance, had 1 or 2 that might have been interested in me but didn't really feel it happening both ways, seem to be emotionally attached to pets (i know isn't romance but its closest i've got)

Marriage = don't plan on marriage nor am I bound to any religion/law associated with it as im atheist

Children = same as marriage plus population will eventually outpace resource production if you think long term and as our race as a whole

Career = non-existent, tying in to being near homeless with little prospect of getting any sort of job but who knows with this climate of uncertainty what will happen but things look bleak for my future

Home = as mentioned being nearly homeless, under alot of pressure to find a job so that I can stay with a family friend. As it stands, i'm not able to pay towards anything and very lucky to even have internet, my own computer and a room to stay in.

Friends = only online ones which don't really count, other than that no real life friends and prefer to be alone anyway



the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,489
Location: up from the ashes

14 Nov 2017, 10:10 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
I'm not even ashamed to say that I still sleep with a teddy bear. Despite being a high functioning Autistic, I am still very much a child through and through.


That seems fine to me. 8)



the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,489
Location: up from the ashes

14 Nov 2017, 10:20 pm

Scorpius14 wrote:
Career = non-existent, tying in to being near homeless with little prospect of getting any sort of job but who knows with this climate of uncertainty what will happen but things look bleak for my future

Home = as mentioned being nearly homeless, under alot of pressure to find a job so that I can stay with a family friend. As it stands, i'm not able to pay towards anything and very lucky to even have internet, my own computer and a room to stay in.

Friends = only online ones which don't really count, other than that no real life friends and prefer to be alone anyway


I hope you will find a good job soon. That's been quite a challenge for me too ... as a contractor, steady work is rare and art does not pay the bills.

As for friends, my best friend started out as an online friend. We then started talking on the phone and ended up best friends who would send each other cards and gifts in the mail for birthdays and Christmas.

I wish you the best of success and hope your family friend continues to be a good friend.



xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2017
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 614
Location: Canada

14 Nov 2017, 11:00 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
xatrix26 wrote:
I'm not even ashamed to say that I still sleep with a teddy bear. Despite being a high functioning Autistic, I am still very much a child through and through.


That seems fine to me. 8)


His name is Bruno O'Bear btw.

:D


_________________
*** High Functioning Autism - Asperger's Syndrome ***

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)


adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2015
Age: 45
Posts: 415
Location: California

15 Nov 2017, 12:22 am

1. Romance-yes, still in a long term relationship
2. Marriage-yes, divorced and will eventually get married again
3.Children-No, never had a desire, and I'm getting closer to menopause.
4.Career-Yes
5.Home Ownership-No, live in southern California where homes are expensive
6.Friends-Yes



dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,263
Location: The Labyrinth of Leviathan

15 Nov 2017, 12:49 am

I haven't met any of them. I have no interest in 1-3. I can't really say I've given up on them, since I was never really striving for them in the first place. Honestly I'd be okay with out of those, only having a career I can support myself on. I'd be okay with living in an apartment or something, so long as the neighbors weren't too troublesome for my sensory issues.


_________________
Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

When you assume, it makes an a** out of u and me.


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,993
Location: New Zealand

15 Nov 2017, 1:16 am

Number 7 suggestion: "developed my special interest into a source of income"
Number 8 suggestion: "my artwork was published/bought/acclaimed"
Number 9 suggestion: "won an award for.."
Number 10 suggestion: "showed my maturity by caring for....."
Number 11 suggestion: "designed/invented a new ... or new way of doing things or new science theory"
Number 12 suggestion: "volunteered my time/energy/thoughts deconstructing AS myths"
Number 13 suggestion: "wrote article/s about x and published them"

These seven additions would make the list more AS friendly than just the set of 6 traditional NT goals.



Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Sep 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,513
Location: Positive-minded

15 Nov 2017, 1:37 am

None of the above, except for having one or two close friends. Currently on disability, though one day I could probably work under accommodated/guided employment.


_________________
God-dependent, curious and self-studying Japanese


traven
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 30 Sep 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,770

15 Nov 2017, 1:40 am

Clakker wrote:
traven wrote:
All, but 4.
I took up farming, esp shepherding, against the tide, now costs gone over benefits and it hurts a lot, physically and mentally, though it was weirdly informative and interesting.

You know about a year ago there was a program on tv that featured a PhD Biologist. She had given up her academic career for full time shepherding. She was also complaining about the ruinous effect it was having on her finances. Are you this very same shepherdess?

No, i've met people like that, also a shepherd-friend studied history&politics, i didn't study, though i was admitted for agri-engeneer-uni, long ago.