Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 10:51 am

I am still waiting for cheese and sausages. Photographers never gave me any when I said it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:09 am

best response to photographers waiting me to smile is the cheese first or no smile !

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 11:26 am

have had to for years work on smiling then after much mirror practice i got it .
took awhile to get the eyes to work with the smile . But now i use it and practice as a rule everytime i walk through a doorway, as part of my training. . My little sister could smile if genuinely happy , but if asked to , her face was terribly monsterous looking. i was the same way when younger .When asked on demand . But in my mind i was a happy child , but not in my real life around me , so when very small , after a fashion
i would smile just because someone would even talk to me . But soon afterwards i guess my smiling was deemed inappropriate or stupid looking and was repeated hit in the head for smiling, By my mom .. It wasnt until my early twentys that i had to learn to smile all over again . And yes when very little was monumentally naive . And struggle most times not to be anymore with people . And had to learn to sort people . Now just wary of everyone no matter . Very few have ever gained my trust . But those
people i have genuine smiles for now.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 2:51 pm

I never liked to have my picture taken when I was young. I would tell people to only take my picture when I didn't KNOW they were taking my picture. Professional photographers were ok, but the average family "shutter bug" took pictures of me that made me feel awful about my self and triggered great anxiety.

That was then.

When my kids started growing up my oldest had a lot of trouble with the whole "smile for the camera" thing. He prefers to put on a "strong but kind face" for his pictures with no smile.

This time I had internet access (the web browser hadn't been invented when I was a kid - back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I discovered a few things:

The first thing is that, really no-one can make a genuine "smile" for a camera - the face just doesn't do the same things when you just want to smile as it does when you smile naturally or spontaneously.

Some people who have a profession that really requires them to "smile for the camera", like politicians or models, get professional training in "smile for the camera". In particular most people who try to "smile for the camera" forget the eyes. Professional models call this "smile with your eyes" or "Smize". The trick is to try to get the muscles of your face near you eyes, and the skin around your eyes to look the way it does when you smile naturally. You partially close you eyes too when you smile naturally. You can google "smile with your eyes" or "Smize" or "how to Smize" and there are lots of pages suggesting how to do this. Some of them are not particularly detailed and say annoyingly vague things like "try to act naturally". If you keep looking at youtube videos and web pages you will eventually find some good ones. Even though it sounds dumb it helps to practice with a mirror or have a friend or your mom or someone you trust practice with you and also study pictures in catalogs and magazines of real professional models. Look carefully at the area around the eyes, the mouth, the teeth, the lips, the cheeks and so on. Another resource is books on "how to draw a face" - they will give details others leave out.

Another group of professionals who study smiles is dentists, and people who shape mouths like orthodontists and plastic surgeons. Look for web pages about what they do and why, and it will reveal a lot of specifics about how to "smile for the camera". Here are some specifics. Show your teeth - but not like a wild animal. The top row of teeth should be showing more than the bottom, sometimes the bottom teeth don't show at all, or only just a little. The black gap on the left and right side of the mouth should be minimal. Again try for these things and study pictures of professionals. Use a mirror or selfies of have someone you trust take lots of shots with a digital camera of you and discuss the results.

If you put together the mouth and teeth and the "smize" and practice with a friend you can trust you should be able to make big progress.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 3:03 pm

https://ibb.co/qCpWgGf

That's me smize

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 6:48 pm

babybird wrote:

That's me smize

Looks good to me.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 4:24 am

babybird wrote:

That's me smize
That's a smile of contentment.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:19 am

renaeden wrote:
babybird wrote:

That's me smize
That's a smile of contentment.

I do not often use that word so I had to think. You are happy. :) Pleased. :)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:21 am

I think I look content. I must have had a tummy full of chocolate.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 5:53 am

Nice.

I do prefer the chocolate going in part I enjoy better then the chocolate being in part....

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 3:26 pm

very nice smize....... possibly chocolate flavoured .. :)