Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

GadgetGuru
Toucan
Toucan

13 Oct 2021, 1:18 pm

Howdy all,

On the topic of masking, I'm imagining it as something akin to emulation on a computer platform (this means running non-native code on hardware that can not run it directly). Instead, you must have an "emulation layer" in between the code and the hardware. Because this is less efficient, the hardware must be "more powerful" than the hardware that the code was meant for, to get equal performance.

Therefore, the load on the hardware when running in emulation mode is much higher, perhaps eventually causing overload, overheating and even errors and crashes.

Yes, this is a highly imperfect analogy, but it amuses me, and perhaps some of you, as well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:20 pm

It's always worked well for me as an analogy.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:26 pm

Yes, this makes sense as analogy. And IQ would be the equivalent of CPU. This is apparently what causes "burnout." ( or overclocking.) I never really understood, "Masking," this might be one of my blind-spots. i just try to blend in, mimicry, like a chameleon, i guess i picked up behavior traits through osmosis, i guess i need acting lessons to be truly proficient at this thing called "masking."

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:29 pm

Even before I knew what "masking" was I called what I was doing "emulating" other people. I also heard one of my friends who I suspected as autistic say they "emulate" other people to socialize. I think a lot of autistic people view it like that since that's often how masking can feel.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 1:38 pm

Masking, emulating, acting.... it all makes me feel so fake and artificial. ya know, small talk, the niceties, all that. I like to be blunt and to the point.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 3:34 pm

Every person, NT or autistic, "acts" to a certain degree.

I might see a pretty woman, say----and I would feel a desire to express my ardor for her. Obviously, I can't do that, so I pretend I don't even notice her.

"Acting" is part of how we remain civilized. If you want to kick somebody's butt, you just can't go up and punch somebody.

CinderashAutomaton
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2021, 4:03 pm

I don't like the analogy too much. It doesn't seem to suit my case. My analogy would include overabundant information being input into the computer, the gratuitous processing capacity consumed to run more programs than the average computer (some of which are forced to run and don't really do anything useful(f**k YOU FACEBOOK, APPLE AND ALL PRODUCERS OF PROPRIETARY PRODUCTS!)), the faults in the cpu, the deficient techs who did a bad job setting up the OS and software, and the deficient power supply.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 4:25 pm

I always thought of autism as being "a hardware problem, and not a software problem".

Neurosis would be a "software problem".

Youre wired differently from NTs. Its in the hardware of the machine.

In contrast neurosis would be a "software problem". A shrink gives you talk therapy, and you learn stuff...like about how your parents made mistakes in "programming" you. So NTs can use talk therapy to rid themselves of the bad software and replace it with good software (ie self education, new ways of dealing with stuff), and be cured of their neuroses. But talk therapy wont cause an autistic to stop being autistic. Though talk therapy tailored to autistics might help us.

And of course you could have both issues, but I digress.

So yes...that your's is a good analogy. And does fit in with my longtime above image of it. Youre wired to be autistic, but you trie to act NT, but it takes more effort to run NT software on an autistic machine.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I always thought of autism as being "a hardware problem, and not a software problem".

Neurosis would be a "software problem".

Youre wired differently from NTs. Its in the hardware of the machine.

In contrast neurosis would be a "software problem". A shrink gives you talk therapy, and you learn stuff...like about how your parents made mistakes in "programming" you. So NTs can use talk therapy to rid themselves of the bad software and replace it with good software (ie self education, new ways of dealing with stuff), and be cured of their neuroses. But talk therapy wont cause an autistic to stop being autistic. Though talk therapy tailored to autistics might help us.

And of course you could have both issues, but I digress.

So yes...that your's is a good analogy. And does fit in with my longtime above image of it. Youre wired to be autistic, but you trie to act NT, but it takes more effort to run NT software on an autistic machine.

If you're late-diagnosed you're almost certainly also mentally ill from the experience.
If you're early-diagnosed you're somewhat less likely.