Strength in Maths due to ADHD & autism traits

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Apr 2022, 9:00 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
I also have computational difficulties. I went to screen for ADHD precisely because of the staggering number of miscalculations in my homework. A good grade requires me to work quickly and spend the rest of my time proofreading.

I don't know if your dyscalculia is similar to mine. It would be helpful for me to use more algebra.

I've noticed that I oddly find some aspects of Algebra easier to do, as long as I have a calculator and some paper to keep track of my math.

My big issue with simpler math like division, fractions, multiplication, etc. is that I can't keep all of the variables in my head, and I can't seem to remember how to do certain things long term. My brain just doesn't want to hold onto that info no matter how hard I try. lol

I also found this to be the case when doing math. Ive always had a hard time holding onto it in my head. Even simple adding like 56 and 78 are hard to just look at it and spit out an answer, still sometimes have to use my fingers to count unless i can really memorize it but even that gets hard to hold on to. I think my working memory isnt so good.

Alien1012
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 May 2022, 6:18 am

I hate math and science. My strong subjects are history and english.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 3:38 pm

I stopped doing science subjects at the start of my O level year. I had little natural ability, and didn't try very hard at it. Maths was a mixed bag - above average for arithmetic and algebra, but poor/very poor at geometry.

http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Dial1194
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2022, 6:37 am

I don't know if it was specifically related to anything, but I always did well in math at school. HiccupHaddock put it well earlier in the thread - there's a satisfying clarity to math which means that as long as the question is clear, there is only one answer (or a set or class of answers which themselves can be described mathematically). With more art-aligned subjects, answers and marks can be extremely subjective. With math, it's a lot harder for a teacher or other authority figure to tell you that you're wrong when your answer is right (although I did have run-ins with teachers who wanted me to 'show my work' when I skipped directly to the answer because, to me, it was glaringly obvious).

Even outside textbook math, I've tended to have patterns leap out at me. I notice sum-of-squares triplets in the wild, sequences of factors, common trigonometry numbers outside their natural environment. Before all local supermarket shelf labels had cost-per-unit figures on them, I would do the math in my head at a glance to find out what was the best value. On my actual autism test, I was the first person in ten years to notice that the sheet set with dozens of tick-box questions and an add-it-all-up section at the back didn't actually match up, mathematically - they had one too many questions in the wrong subsection and one too few in another, making the results of their last ten years invalid. Oops. Although I did wonder, at the time, whether this was a secret test to see whether I'd pick it up or not...

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2022, 6:25 am

I have innate talents with math, but my mathematical learning style clashed so badly with how my school taught me that I ended up hating math and being weak in it due to unwillingness to practice and learn it. My strengths tend to be in conceptual reasoning, and I'm terrible at memorization or following rote sequences that aren't backed by conceptual understanding. My school basically ignored conceptual reasoning entirely and heavily emphasized memorizing rote sequences of actions to do to solve math problems.

One of the big reasons I'm planning to homeschool the kid I'm going to be giving birth to this month. My strongest area of math (statistics) is one that I only started learning when I was being homeschooled because it was relevant to some of my interests (genetics and psychology).

I feel like if I'd grown up in New Zealand, I'd probably enjoy math a lot more, judging from this website.