Does ASD obsessiveness differ from non ASD obsessiveness?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 5:35 pm

rse92 wrote:

I used to collect vinyls, and tapes, and CDs, and would make mix tapes.

Since you like "throwing dice" maybe you should check out the "Monty Hall Problem". And simulate it with dice, and then report to us your results.[/quote]

I put the Monty Hall problem to a group of friends and acquaintances on line about 20 years ago. Most of them took a bit of explaining to before they acknowledged the correct answer. One of them, a Ph.D in Economics, absolutely refused to accept it. To him, the answer was "basic algebra", which he never explained. Looking back, he might have been autistic.[/quote]
Some expert reported the same. Economists refuse to accept it, but later came around.

I get it, but I dont get it.

The gameshow offers you three doors, and only one has the grand prize. So you have a one in three chance of guessing right. So you pick one. But instead of revealing what you picked, Monty would prolong the drama by...taking away one door and ask if you wanna change your pick, or not. Keep the door you already picked, or switch to the other remaining door. Supposedly youre odds are better if you switch than if you keep the door you first picked.

What I get is that the door he takes away is an empty door. So the winning door has to be either the one you already picked, or the one remaining that you didnt pick. So now your odds go up from one in three, to one in two. An improvement (33.3 percent to 50 percent). But what I dont get is ...that its "one in two" either way-keeping your first pick, or switching. Isnt it? So how exactly does switching give you better odds?

=====
Not sure how one would simulate it with dice. I had an hour ride in a carpool car from work today. And pondered that very thing. Not as easy as I first thought now that I think about it.