Autistic? Don't get a life, get an implant!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2009, 5:33 am

Am I the only one who finds this link just a little disturbing? What's next, a happy-smiley circuit for everybody?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 5:57 am

Implanted in the brain? Keep that mark of the beast away from me! So you get an implant, wear a wrist band that's supposed to calm you down before a meltdown and you wear an earpiece too. Just how would that look? Poor autistic kids that wear it would be made more fun of.
I know kids came up with the idea but it sounds horrible. What negative effects could happen to the brain if a chip is implanted? What if the music, vibrations, mothers soothing voice does not calm the autistic child down?

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2009, 6:08 am

Hi, Pensieve

You're right. That's all most aspie kids need, even more s**t to draw attention to them. I was also thinking about the massive potential for abuse here. Why not give the teachers a remote to stun the kid via the chip if a meltdown goes ahead? Why not chip all the kids like in South Park?

Ugh!

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 6:16 am

Quote:
The same information is sent to a wristband iPod-like device someone with autism would wear. The device would contain pre-selected songs, parents' voices or other soothing sounds that are transmitted to an earpiece to help calm the person wearing it. The wristband would emit a vibration that can also cause relaxation.

"It can calm the autistic kids with the music and everything that they need," said Terry.

Then why not get a real iPod and make them listen to music ever hour or so? :roll:

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 6:34 am

DeepBlueLake wrote:
Hi, Pensieve

You're right. That's all most aspie kids need, even more sh** to draw attention to them. I was also thinking about the massive potential for abuse here. Why not give the teachers a remote to stun the kid via the chip if a meltdown goes ahead? Why not chip all the kids like in South Park?

Ugh!

As I was reading the article I thought that the chip in their brain would shock them.
Ichinin wrote:
Quote:
The same information is sent to a wristband iPod-like device someone with autism would wear. The device would contain pre-selected songs, parents' voices or other soothing sounds that are transmitted to an earpiece to help calm the person wearing it. The wristband would emit a vibration that can also cause relaxation.

"It can calm the autistic kids with the music and everything that they need," said Terry.

Then why not get a real iPod and make them listen to music ever hour or so? :roll:

I listen to Evermore or Motion City Soundtrack when I'm upset. It never fails to calm me down and make me happier.
A device that people can choose to wear that gives soothing vibrations may work better, without the brain chip implant. Just something that they can wear and press which causes a vibration. I'm not even sure if a vibration would calm them down, but I think there is an area on the wrist if massaged can calm a person down. It did work for me when I had anxiety.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 7:16 am

WHAT THE HELL????!?!?!?!?!? I am SICK of this! There is NO WAY that two kids of about 10 years have implanted, or even designed a device that COULD be implanted into a persons brain. FURTHER, it says:

Quote:
The students are working on patenting their idea, and if it is successful, they hope they can have a role in how children with autism cope, said Jeremy. He hopes that they are able to get the money to help them mass produce their invention. "In 20 years we hope our invention will be used so there are less children getting hurt," said Jeremy.

Tucker said the children came up with the idea and worked after school and on weekends.

She said the aim of the project was to invent something not available. "[The invention] is something that in the future can happen and should happen," said Tucker.

Quote:
ALBERT calls for a microchip to be implanted in the brain. When the chip reads heightened brain activity and blood pressure levels which could signal a possible "meltdown," information is sent via wireless technology to a doctor's computer for analysis, said Terry, who is in the 4th grade along with Ryan.

They THEN say:

Quote:

I'm SORRY, but that concept is thousands of years old, and far from perfect. The only thing new is the media, but THAT is decades old as well.

So can somebody ******PLEASE****** tell me what they invented? The idea of a device that can be implanted in/on a persons skull to control them, recieve, or transmit information to sooth/entertain/watch/control them was "invented" DECADES, perhaps CENTURIES before even I was born, and I am older than they are! And YES, the application to facilitate communication and physical control of ones own body was ALSO shown. HECK, it was on star trek SEVERAL times.(Like when the people took spocks brain, used it to control their society, and spock communicated with the crew via the communicators, and bones controlled spocks body via that device.) There was a movie a couple decades ago about a crippled guy that used a device to control an external exoskeleton via thought so he became a kind of superhero. And what of the six million dollar man and the bionic woman that talk about brain implants to facilitate two way communication? On one SMDM episode, they even implanted a reciever and transmitter to make an injured boy walk again, with his OWN legs. Decades before that, REAL LIFE spoke of a brain transmitter to monitor the brain, relay information to a monitor, provide a way of soothing and controlling seizures and ticks. Isn't there enough prior art to prove that those idiots didn't invent ANYTHING!?!?!? Wait until they actually determine HOW to monitor it, WHAT to do, and WHERE to put the device(I don't mean skull or brain, but PRECISE LOCATION ON it).

This sounds too much like those jerks at NTP that patented an idea that was AT LEAST a CENTURY old, and tried to put RIM out of business! NTP should have been OBLITERATED! They didn't really specify any specifics. Seriously, Tesla went to MORE work and specified specifics better than NTP did. Or how about marconi!?!? Email, wireless, and even the idea of wireless text communications ALL predate even the creation of NTP. Or it is like SCO which bought a license to the NAME UNIX and the EXISTING code, polluted a lot of the code base, and then tried to retroactively sue all the users of UNIX, even though many had licensed the code from an entity that was given the same rights as AT&T, where the code originally came from. They EVEN tried to sue users of linux, though they had basically put the code in the public domain already.

So YEAH, I DO find it disturbing! OK, should we all pay that jerk in Australia for violating his patent of the wheel? SERIOUSLY!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1418165.stm

I swear, am I dreaming or something? I mean I hope I wake up SOON! This whole world seems TOO idiotic to be real!

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

12 Apr 2009, 7:52 am

ya... this is trash, it probably only got media attention just because little kids thought it up, eh?

DeepBlueLake
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Apr 2009, 8:01 am

Well, let's hope so. It's the sort of thing you could see rushed into production the moment any technical hurdles were overcome. It's not so much the engineering difficulties that bother me, it's the cheerful acceptance by the kids that such a thing would be a good idea.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 8:11 am

DeepBlueLake wrote:
Well, let's hope so. It's the sort of thing you could see rushed into production the moment any technical hurdles were overcome. It's not so much the engineering difficulties that bother me, it's the cheerful acceptance by the kids that such a thing would be a good idea.

What are they going to say? We want it the size of a quarter, shaped like a donut, and blue. Oh yeah, write egyptian writing on it! GREAT! LOTS of info! NOW all they have to do is simply design the circuitry, determine how it hooks to the brain, determine how to power it, determine WHERE on the brain it should go, and how it is to communicate with the outside world. Do they even REALLY know what a "microchip" is?!?!?!? Or are they just going to use NTPs "business model", and wait for a decade or so and sue the first company that actually gets it to work? What do they do if someone has a halfway decent lawyer, and they state that there is prior art, which there is. The ONLY defense they have is the idea of circuitry design, appearance, power, communication, etc.... Since they obviously haven't done that yet, they may be up a creek.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 8:12 am

Let's just hope Autism Speaks doesn't pick it up and remove the soothing music with a kind of shock device.

And 2ukenkerl I don't watch any of those shows, especially Star Trek. I've vowed never to get into that show.

Last edited by pensieve on 12 Apr 2009, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 8:34 am

pensieve wrote:
Let's just hope Autism Speaks doesn't pick it up and remove the soothing music with a kind of shock device.

And Luke I don't watch any of those shows, especially Star Trek. I've vowed never to get into that show.

When you say Luke, are you talking to me? It IS kind of funny. You know, those kids remind me of some kids that asked me to have a radioshack computer(BEFORE access to the internet) predict the weather. I told them it can't be done because it doesn't even have a barometer and a thermometer, etc... Or how about the parents when I was just out of highschool that figured that anyone playing "computer games" was a techie and knew about computers!?!? What a LAUGH!

As for Star trek, the first series ran into a problem with funding so, to cut down on costs, they created a new invention! It was actually used to provide a LOT of things! In the first series it ALSO created FOOD, and provided some protection. NOW, they also use it to make the recreation area more realistic, and improve usage of space. So what did they create? A device called a "transporter". If you listen to enough shows, you find that about 3 or more shows in each series refer to a "heisenberg compensator"! So what is THAT?!?!? It compensates for the idea of the "heisenberg uncertainty principle" which basically says that such a device is impossible. All that because they didn't have enough money to pay for shuttle models early in the first series!

So don't be afraid of the series. Parts of it can actually be funny! Do you avoid the SG1, SG Atlantis, soon to be SG UNIVERSE
series also? How about all the rest of the SCI FI shows? BTW the SG1 series started out as a simple egypt->alien to god history concept. They explained the building of the pyramids, egyptian, Norse, Judeo/Christian gods and put it together with a simple wormhole device(like star treks teleporter) to have a kind of wildwest type shootout with all the planets. SG Atlantis spoke of how the judeo/christian gods were really those from the fabled atlantis, and how they protected us from some that decided to take advantage(hell/devil), and went to another galaxy where they ran into their own troubles. I haven't seen SG universe yet. What is left to talk about? Maybe they will recover all those tormented by the egyptian gods that they killed in THIS galaxy? Who knows?

Doncostello
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2009, 9:43 am

speaking as a aspie who's compulsed to read anything and everything on nerology, (nerve science) that would not work. i have read the required textbooks for a baylor med student on the subject, (baylor is the best med college in the country i can think of) and that would cause signifigant nerve damage to the brain, and may result in deaths, or damage the brain to the extent, that the persons IQ drops to profoundly mentally retarded (IQ 25 and down). something ive read extensively on as well, is the link between conections in the brain and emootions. ive concluded it is possible to, through way of brain surgery, to stop negative emotions from disrupting in daily life. imagine my suprise when i discovered it had already been done!! ! and guess what? horrible, long-term side effects!! ! they did it in mental institutes, and they did it by inserting a metal instrument through the tear duct, and severing connections on the frontal lobe. the side effects were, that the VICTIM lost all long term planning abilities, one of the only things that seperates us from lesser mammals.

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2009, 9:53 am

pensieve wrote:
I don't watch any of those shows, especially Star Trek. I've vowed never to get into that show.

I have to recommend it ... especially next Generation. If you don't want to get into the high tech stuff, watch it to learn about the kind of society they live in. Gene Roddenberry was indeed a visionary man. Might even have been an aspie.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:39 am

CRIPES. This is a day and age where if you don't have health insurance you may actually be one of the lucky ones.

Then you have an excuse for not taking the poison they prescribe which takes 26 years off an average life (anti psychotic medication) and you can't get an IMPLANT!

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:42 am

This idea causes me deep moral trouble, I would love to know if the kids that devised it were given any training in the ethical matters which relate to research on live human subjects before they came up with this abomination.

I know that for some reasons the word abomination might have a lot of cultural baggage, but in this case I think it is one of the few words which are fit for the purpose of expressing my thoughts on this matter.

Such a device is something which the world will be better off without, it is a human version of an electric shock antibarking collar for a dog. I think that along with some electric shock torture devices it should be outlawed even before it is fully developed. I know that laws tend to be reactionary but here I see a good case for some pre-emptive legislation.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2009, 10:58 am

Notice there's nothing about trying to figure out why the person is having a meltdown. Maybe there's a noise no one else can hear, maybe the florescents are giving them a migraine, maybe they're getting bullied, maybe they're comming down with the flu. This device only picks up the meltdown, and so what is it going to do to actually help? Play music? Is it going to work out alternative forms of communication, adapt the environment, or etc? The article says it would "give them whatever they need," as an afterthought, when figuring out what someone needs is going to be the hardest part.

The result of trying such a thing would be a miserable human, and human rights, disaster.

(It would be way cool if could determine bullying, and activate a robot to kick the bully's a**, though.)