What does it take for you to change your opinions about peop

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,061

23 Mar 2009, 3:22 pm

le?


I thought the people who used their intuition were stupid, that intuition was stupidity. But then I figured something out, using logic that using your intition is okay and good, and now I think intuitive people are just as smart, if not smarter.



Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 459

23 Mar 2009, 3:30 pm

Intuition is inferior to mind-mapping. I am mind-mapping my relationships, creating graphs with relational map. Status of relation. Most important thing is to figure out why for example person x is interested in talking to me.



pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 4 Nov 2008
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 130
Location: surrey, uk

23 Mar 2009, 3:32 pm

I try not to form overly fixed opinions of, (most*) people in the first place - this is partly because I don't think personality is completely 'fixed', people can switch between behaving in different ways. Its more like, I prefer spending time with this person to spending time with this person, or, I think this person is more similar to me than this other person.

When my opinion changes drastically its normally because they've done something that really suprised me, that I wouldn't have thought they'd have done, or because I just feel more confident with them over time and learn about them a bit better.


* ok, so I'm no saint. I hate a few people :(



Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 626

23 Mar 2009, 3:56 pm

Zyborg wrote:
Intuition is inferior to mind-mapping. I am mind-mapping my relationships, creating graphs with relational map. Status of relation. Most important thing is to figure out why for example person x is interested in talking to me.


yeah, but all of that stuff relies on a big equation in your head...and may take a FRACTION of a second too long to calculate, compared with a natural, intuitive, NT response, this fraction of a second can make all the difference, it might COMPLETELY change a person's opinion of you or whether they feel comfortable talking to you...

anyhow, i used to think that EVERYONE i'd never met hated me...so instantly hated them...until they proved otherwise to me...nowadays i'm a bit more chilled out and can read people's intentions and cues better.x



Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 459

23 Mar 2009, 4:45 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
Zyborg wrote:
Intuition is inferior to mind-mapping. I am mind-mapping my relationships, creating graphs with relational map. Status of relation. Most important thing is to figure out why for example person x is interested in talking to me.


yeah, but all of that stuff relies on a big equation in your head...and may take a FRACTION of a second too long to calculate, compared with a natural, intuitive, NT response, this fraction of a second can make all the difference, it might COMPLETELY change a person's opinion of you or whether they feel comfortable talking to you...

anyhow, i used to think that EVERYONE i'd never met hated me...so instantly hated them...until they proved otherwise to me...nowadays i'm a bit more chilled out and can read people's intentions and cues better.x


I like neurotypicals to feel uncomfortable around me, and yes, even afraid of me. Rather that than that they think I am strange or silly. There is nothing I hate more than not being taken seriously.



Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2008
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 626

23 Mar 2009, 5:01 pm

man, they really screwed you up didn't they? 8O



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

23 Mar 2009, 5:06 pm

Zyborg wrote:
I like neurotypicals to feel uncomfortable around me, and yes, even afraid of me.

I don't care if people are a bit intimidated by me as long as they don't mess with me and respect me. If them being a bit afraid of me is what it takes to get some respect, then it doesn't matter to me if they are a bit intimidated.



Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 459

23 Mar 2009, 5:07 pm

Xanderbeanz wrote:
man, they really screwed you up didn't they? 8O


Better to be feared than ridiculed. I use have to change intensity of my glance to even make most intimidating neurotypical silent.

I grew up in constant warfare with people like this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzUiA9tjn6E[/youtube]



McTell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,453
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

23 Mar 2009, 5:59 pm

Intuition involves logic though. Perhaps hurried logic that doesn't take all factors into account, but a logic all the same.

I like to think I change my opinions about a person once I get to know them better. Unfortunately, I probably hold on to the flawed first impressions for too long. I'm too intolerant of people anyway, and sometimes all it takes is for someone to say one thing I don't like and that's it, I'll decide that they aren't worth talking to. I do try not to be like this though.



EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Apr 2006
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 735

23 Mar 2009, 6:42 pm

I change my opinion about people if I find out or realise that they have lied to me.



Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 459

23 Mar 2009, 6:46 pm

McTell wrote:
Intuition involves logic though. Perhaps hurried logic that doesn't take all factors into account, but a logic all the same.

I like to think I change my opinions about a person once I get to know them better. Unfortunately, I probably hold on to the flawed first impressions for too long. I'm too intolerant of people anyway, and sometimes all it takes is for someone to say one thing I don't like and that's it, I'll decide that they aren't worth talking to. I do try not to be like this though.


I don't see people as individuals, just as parts of categories and sub-categories, based around.

*AGE
*GENDER
*SOCIAL CLASS
*NEUROLOGICAL CONDITION
*ETHNIC BACKGROUND
*RELIGION
*IDEOLOGY
*INTELLIGENCE LEVEL
*MORAL TRAITS

I have no friends. I have only allies. I do not afford friendships. Friendships make me weak.



McTell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,453
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

23 Mar 2009, 6:51 pm

I disagree with that idea, because when you sub-categorise the sub-categories of the sub-categories (you get the idea), you discover that every person is entirely unique, that is they are in a category of one, and that is exactly what an individual is.

Also, I completely fail to see how friendship could ever make one weak. Please explain it to me.



jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 487
Location: Louisville, KY

23 Mar 2009, 6:52 pm

Zyborg, have you heard about the nice men with the white jackets and soft walls?

It takes a lot for me to change my opinion of people. I usually judge too harshly, especially off first impressions. It's something I have to work on.


_________________
Confucius say - Man who stand on toilet high on pot.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420


Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 459

23 Mar 2009, 6:54 pm

McTell wrote:
I disagree with that idea, because when you sub-categorise the sub-categories of the sub-categories (you get the idea), you discover that every person is entirely unique, that is they are in a category of one, and that is exactly what an individual is.

Also, I completely fail to see how friendship could ever make one weak. Please explain it to me.


I do not care about uniqueness of individuals. That is of no interest to me. What I care is general characteristics of different groups. What I am interested in is to get some form of order out of chaos. I see people as highly exchangeable.



Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 459

23 Mar 2009, 6:55 pm

jamesp420 wrote:
Zyborg, have you heard about the nice men with the white jackets and soft walls?

It takes a lot for me to change my opinion of people. I usually judge too harshly, especially off first impressions. It's something I have to work on.


AD HOMINEM. YOU ARE BEING REPORTED.



jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 487
Location: Louisville, KY

23 Mar 2009, 6:57 pm

Zyborg wrote:
jamesp420 wrote:
Zyborg, have you heard about the nice men with the white jackets and soft walls?

It takes a lot for me to change my opinion of people. I usually judge too harshly, especially off first impressions. It's something I have to work on.


AD HOMINEM. YOU ARE BEING REPORTED.


Oh thanks. :wink:


_________________
Confucius say - Man who stand on toilet high on pot.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420