Baby Boomers and how we/they are perceived in today's world

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,864
Location: Long Island, New York

24 Jul 2021, 4:46 pm

All sorts of computer stuff from operating systems to the internet.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,320
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

25 Jul 2021, 9:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
All sorts of computer stuff from operating systems to the internet.

Please don't take it personally if I question that assertion. I have made my living programming for over 40 years and have worked with a lot of different technologies.

COBOL was invented by Grace Hopper who was born in 1906!

EDIT: despite what many have assumed from seeing me, I have never worked with COBOL! I went from assembler and machine code programming in the 80s to C, C++, and Java programming in the 90s, to J2EE and now Javascript/Typescript today.

Linux, by far the most widely used OS in the world as it forms the basis for the Android operating system that powers most of our smartphones was originated by Linus Torvalds (sp?) who is in fact a Swede and is now only 51 years old. Torvalds actually grew up in Finland where I don't know if there ever was a baby boom but if there was it was well before he was born.

Linux's forebear, Unix, was developed in the early 1970s by engineers at Bell Labs who were young at the time but members of Joe Biden's generation. Those people could also be given credit for creating the Internet, with military funding (something Baby Boomers weren't real comfortable with in those days). You can Google (Sergey Brin and Larry Page were both born in 1973!) the details for more info or to find any discrepancies with what I have said.

You may be thinking of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, both true Boomers. Unlike Hopper and Torvalds, those 2 have the reputation of being "techies" but are actually primarily businessmen, both of whom have driven their techie subordinates very hard. Were the poor blighters who nearly worked themselves to death developing the first release of Windows NT Baby Boomers or Gen X? Probably the latter though I wouldn't know. Same for those who have labored to bring Jobs' many products to market. Mac Draw, which I can recall being told was developed as a "killer app" for Jobs' MacIntosh personal computer, was single-handedly developed by Mark Cutter who apparently graduated UC Berkeley in 1980 which would make him very late Baby Boomer of the group that were born late enough to remember the Vietnam War as more of an historical event, that I have previously identified as "not true Baby Boomers" for that reason and having more in common with Generation X with regard to mindset; but yeah I suppose he would count. Steve Jobs actually represented a Boomer archetype I can recall who wanted you to think he was super-cool but turned out to be a real dick if you got to know him. Gates is hard to categorize, he was a techie nerd who also had a mind for business and a knack for getting people to do things for him — I think he transcended "generation" in general.

Bottom line is I have a real hard time associating the Technology Revolution (if that what it is) with any particular generation.


_________________
My WP story


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,320
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

01 Aug 2021, 10:49 am

Has anybody here ever seen the film Return of the Secaucus Seven? It portrays Boomers when they were at the age Younger Millennials are at now. Might serve as a good comparison for some people.


_________________
My WP story


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,320
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

01 Aug 2021, 10:52 am

Does anybody know what generational cohorts dominated the group of "insurrectionists" that rioted at the US Capitol on January 6, 2021? Some people might assume there were predominately boomers. My impression is that Gen-X was the largest group.


_________________
My WP story


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,864
Location: Long Island, New York

01 Aug 2021, 12:25 pm

MaxE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
All sorts of computer stuff from operating systems to the internet.

Please don't take it personally if I question that assertion. I have made my living programming for over 40 years and have worked with a lot of different technologies.

COBOL was invented by Grace Hopper who was born in 1906!

EDIT: despite what many have assumed from seeing me, I have never worked with COBOL! I went from assembler and machine code programming in the 80s to C, C++, and Java programming in the 90s, to J2EE and now Javascript/Typescript today.

Linux, by far the most widely used OS in the world as it forms the basis for the Android operating system that powers most of our smartphones was originated by Linus Torvalds (sp?) who is in fact a Swede and is now only 51 years old. Torvalds actually grew up in Finland where I don't know if there ever was a baby boom but if there was it was well before he was born.

Linux's forebear, Unix, was developed in the early 1970s by engineers at Bell Labs who were young at the time but members of Joe Biden's generation. Those people could also be given credit for creating the Internet, with military funding (something Baby Boomers weren't real comfortable with in those days). You can Google (Sergey Brin and Larry Page were both born in 1973!) the details for more info or to find any discrepancies with what I have said.

You may be thinking of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, both true Boomers. Unlike Hopper and Torvalds, those 2 have the reputation of being "techies" but are actually primarily businessmen, both of whom have driven their techie subordinates very hard. Were the poor blighters who nearly worked themselves to death developing the first release of Windows NT Baby Boomers or Gen X? Probably the latter though I wouldn't know. Same for those who have labored to bring Jobs' many products to market. Mac Draw, which I can recall being told was developed as a "killer app" for Jobs' MacIntosh personal computer, was single-handedly developed by Mark Cutter who apparently graduated UC Berkeley in 1980 which would make him very late Baby Boomer of the group that were born late enough to remember the Vietnam War as more of an historical event, that I have previously identified as "not true Baby Boomers" for that reason and having more in common with Generation X with regard to mindset; but yeah I suppose he would count. Steve Jobs actually represented a Boomer archetype I can recall who wanted you to think he was super-cool but turned out to be a real dick if you got to know him. Gates is hard to categorize, he was a techie nerd who also had a mind for business and a knack for getting people to do things for him — I think he transcended "generation" in general.

Bottom line is I have a real hard time associating the Technology Revolution (if that what it is) with any particular generation.

Tim Berners Lee designer of the World Wide Web born in 1955. That is kind of important. I should have said WWW instead of internet. No shade on the originators but the average person is not entering line commands on room size machines. Sorry Linux fans, The ideas of Jobs and Gates are a large if shrinking part of how the average person interacts with their devices. The coders made their ideas happen.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,864
Location: Long Island, New York

01 Aug 2021, 12:39 pm

MaxE wrote:
Does anybody know what generational cohorts dominated the group of "insurrectionists" that rioted at the US Capitol on January 6, 2021? Some people might assume there were predominately boomers. My impression is that Gen-X was the largest group.


It seemed that way. But as good autistics we are going by literal not colloquial. “Ok boomer” refers to anybody older than zoomers with ideas that are perceived to be old and in need of canceling.

One should not just look at January 6th. The ideas and voters for the “alt right” trend older or dead but it was the zoomers with their use of social media that drove the phenomenon out of peoples basements and into the mainstream. And also with people such as Ben Shapiro in traditional media.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Blue_Star
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 206

02 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm

I've found this thread quite interesting to follow. My parents are first year boomers, so it's always surprising when I read about younger ones because of how different the views & opinions & impressions are from my own parents & their friends. I'm a first year gen y (hubs calls us Xillennials), so that also makes it interesting since gen x was skipped.

My parents had college degrees & were married before Woodstock occurred, & they disagreed with the hippie movement. They like some of the music, but very much viewed most of the hippies as people who should grow up & get to doing something "real". Even with mom as a feminist who protested a few times, she never became a bra-burner type. Gen x was viewed in the same light as the hippies.

The contrast between their lives & others always interests me (& can be startling at times). Being on the cusp of generations myself, I only "Ok Boomer" actual boomers or those older.



MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,320
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

22 Aug 2021, 12:57 pm

As I remember it, this is the image boomers had of themselves when they were the age Zoomers are now.

What thoughts go through your mind when you look at these pictures? Do you see anything here that clearly shows a stark contrast between young people in those days vs. young people today?


_________________
My WP story


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,320
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

22 Aug 2021, 1:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sorry Linux fans, The ideas of Jobs and Gates are a large if shrinking part of how the average person interacts with their devices. The coders made their ideas happen.

Not sure if I understand this last bit, but as I mentioned earlier in this post, most smart phones are running Linux because Android uses the Linux kernel (https://www.howtogeek.com/189036/androi ... n%20kernel). On that basis, I would say Linux won the OS Wars, and most people are interacting with it using their thumbs, not a keyboard and a text-based terminal.


_________________
My WP story


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,864
Location: Long Island, New York

22 Aug 2021, 3:38 pm

MaxE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sorry Linux fans, The ideas of Jobs and Gates are a large if shrinking part of how the average person interacts with their devices. The coders made their ideas happen.

Not sure if I understand this last bit, but as I mentioned earlier in this post, most smart phones are running Linux because Android uses the Linux kernel (https://www.howtogeek.com/189036/androi ... n%20kernel). On that basis, I would say Linux won the OS Wars, and most people are interacting with it using their thumbs, not a keyboard and a text-based terminal.

Besides the desktop, most "work" is done on laptops and tablets although smartphones have a significant place.

MaxE wrote:
As I remember it, this is the image boomers had of themselves when they were the age Zoomers are now.

What thoughts go through your mind when you look at these pictures? Do you see anything here that clearly shows a stark contrast between young people in those days vs. young people today?

Not in constant contact with parents?

The zoomers know about and some of them like their grandparent's era music. That was not true then. If it was known you liked your parent's "square" music(Frank Sinatra, Big Band) you would be thought of as weird.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 Aug 2021, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,320
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

22 Aug 2021, 7:19 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not in constant contact with parents?

The zoomers know about and some of them like their grandparent's era music. That was not true then. If it was known you liked your parent's "square" music(Frank Sinatra, Big Band) you would be thought of as weird.

I was 16 at the time these photos were taken. I could never have been one of the people in these photos. I didn't bond with my peers in the way Boomers were expected to so never had an entrée into the Counter Culture.

The impression I get from these photos is that we're looking at thousands of people in their late teens and early 20s who sincerely believe they have the answer to the world's problems, and are therefore the wave of the future. I don't see any of that in Generation Z. I don't think Billie Eilish would have held much attraction for this crowd. Their egos were way too inflated.


_________________
My WP story


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,864
Location: Long Island, New York

23 Aug 2021, 4:50 am

MaxE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Not in constant contact with parents?

The zoomers know about and some of them like their grandparent's era music. That was not true then. If it was known you liked your parent's "square" music(Frank Sinatra, Big Band) you would be thought of as weird.

I was 16 at the time these photos were taken. I could never have been one of the people in these photos. I didn't bond with my peers in the way Boomers were expected to so never had an entrée into the Counter Culture.

The impression I get from these photos is that we're looking at thousands of people in their late teens and early 20s who sincerely believe they have the answer to the world's problems, and are therefore the wave of the future. I don't see any of that in Generation Z. I don't think Billie Eilish would have held much attraction for this crowd. Their egos were way too inflated.

That is the Woodstock mythology anyways. Somehow I think a lot of them were there to get stoned and laid. They ascribed these more utopian motives to themselves after they read about how historic it was.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman