Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 9:14 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:
In some areas I'm very anti aspie, I'm really erratic, moody, messy, attention seeking, sometimes even manipulative, I care about my appearence greatly (to a degree that is clinically significant), wearing formal clothing most days regardless of weather.
Admittedly there are two things about me that are pretty aspie: I have sensory issues and I'm fairly clumsy, but neither are central or even official criteria to AS.

Being messy isn't "anti-Aspie," neither is playing imaginatively, or caring about how you look. Being erratic and moody seems fairly common in many members here who were DX with Aspergers.

It runs counter to how AS typically presents itself.
Quote:
None of these things are central or official criteria for AS. Then again, the desire, or lack of desire, for friends doesn't have much to do with AS either.

I never said it did - in fact I deliberately emphasized that it didn't and that's why AS and Schizoid don't have much in common necessarily.

Halligeninseln
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

Phonic said:
AS and Schizoid don't have much in common necessarily.

I agree that AS and Schizoid don't necessarily have much in common, but I think one thing they do have in common is getting quickly tired in social situations, especially groups. I'm not sure that it is necessarily possible for the individual to work out why they get so tired and overloaded so quickly. They just know that they do. I can't sustain group interaction beyond a few comments and end up just sitting there like an idiot because I can't join in and then I lose the plot completely, so in the end I end up observing the whole situation in my mind and feeling bad about being so uncommunicative and on the outside and wondering why it has happened yet again.. That could be a sign of either AS or Schizoid or just general stupidity. Also it took me until the age of 33 to find a girlfriend although I'm well-educated, polite and don't look like a freak. There's no way to tell if that is a "sign" of Schizoid or AS as it can happen to both. Also I like to spent huge amounts of time alone on my "special interest" which can be seen as an aspie obsession or a schizoid way of avoiding interaction with others or even an aspie way of avoiding interacting with others because it's too stressful to do so. It's often really difficult to tell the two apart, even in oneself.

XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Feb 2012, 9:21 pm

Phonic wrote:

I'm messy. I can think of many other Aspies on here that admit to being messy. I played imaginatively, and I've encountered other Aspies who have as well. My psychologist wasn't the least bit deterred in his AS diagnosis because I had imaginative play. There are several Aspies on here that are fashion-conscious and view clothes as a hobby or special interest. Got a bunch of depressed Aspies who are moody and erratic, too.

Where are you getting that Asperger's typically doesn't present itself that way?

Quote:
I never said it did - in fact I deliberately emphasized that it didn't and that's why AS and Schizoid don't have much in common necessarily.

Seeing as how "schizoid" is mostly just a deeply introverted, imaginative person, than I don't see how it conflicts with AS.

And, since the psychologist who DXed me as Asperger's almost DXed me as "schizoid," I'm fairly certain they can resemble each other.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 10:04 am

Quote:
in fact I deliberately emphasized that it didn't and that's why AS and Schizoid don't have much in common necessarily.

How do I say this without blowing up...there are aspects to AS that are seen in Schizoids, but these aspects are not necessarily seen in someone with AS, and schizoid has one aspect that is seen in AS (asociality) - but not always.

You're seeing a dissagreement here that doesn't exist.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Phonic wrote:

I'm messy. I can think of many other Aspies on here that admit to being messy. I played imaginatively, and I've encountered other Aspies who have as well. My psychologist wasn't the least bit deterred in his AS diagnosis because I had imaginative play. There are several Aspies on here that are fashion-conscious and view clothes as a hobby or special interest. Got a bunch of depressed Aspies who are moody and erratic, too.

Where are you getting that Asperger's typically doesn't present itself that way?

It happens, but it isn't typical, if you engage in imaginative play then you are doing something counter to your diagnosis, and people with AS are pretty ca-

f**k it, I don't care, do me this huge favour and don't reply with a snivveling "hah, didn't think so" response, I can't take this.

XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2012, 12:44 pm

Phonic wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Phonic wrote:

It happens, but it isn't typical, if you engage in imaginative play then you are doing something counter to your diagnosis, and people with AS are pretty ca-

f**k it, I don't care, do me this huge favour and don't reply with a snivveling "hah, didn't think so" response, I can't take this.

You're making a series of claims without bothering to cite any research to back them up. If I don't take your "say-so" seriously, I'm sorry if that upsets you....well....actually, I'm not.

"Imaginative play" isn't "counter to Asperger's, nor is it "counter to my diagnosis. Nor is my being messy. The clinical psychologist who DXed me was perfectly aware of both my propensity for imaginative play and messiness, but he went with AS anyway. If it goes against what AS is in your personal opinion, I'm afraid your personal opinion doesn't carry much weight with me, or the guy who diagnosed me for that matter.

You can "take that" or not "take that" however you like.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ntgrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4319158 ... t=#4319158

I posted some information regarding SPD and Asperger's Syndrome a little while ago. Maybe you will find it useful or interesting. :)