Anyone else love the punk rock subculture?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2013, 10:55 pm

Honestly I think that it is kind of a contradiction that being a punk, people think you have to follow some rules. Punk means no rules and when someone tries to define it it is no longer "true" punk Look at a band like Crass they were more punk than any other punk band because they went against the whole fashion thing because at the end of the day punk is not about fashion. You can pretty much look completely normal and still be punk.

I think that is what you were getting at.

Someone will always disagree with you because that is how opinion works. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect other people's opinion even if I do not agree with it. I guess, agree to disagree. lol.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2013, 11:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNzd_FcThs
Georgi Gardev, 1:30. Best use of "expressive" clothing ever. Wearing a shirt that says "Why be normal?" whilst...doing what he's doing.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 5:55 am

punkguy378 wrote:
Honestly I think that it is kind of a contradiction that being a punk, people think you have to follow some rules. Punk means no rules and when someone tries to define it it is no longer "true" punk Look at a band like Crass they were more punk than any other punk band because they went against the whole fashion thing because at the end of the day punk is not about fashion. You can pretty much look completely normal and still be punk.

Quoted for irony... :wink: :P

Been a punk fan since about 11 or so when I saw the clash on SNL. Then, a bit later I saw the vid for Psycho Therapy on 120 minutes and that sealed the deal. In those days I had to special order Combat Rock & Subterranean Jungle on vinyl because there wasn't a record store for 100 miles that stocked either album... Needless to say, I was never part of a scene--whatever that is. I certainly grew up alienated and apart from most of my peers.

Actually... I was in a punk band (sort of) in high school. My few friends were metalheads and we attempted to form a metal band, but lacking any musical talent, we struggled to play metallica and motley crue songs... I convinced my pals to try Blitzkrieg Bop. We learned to bang our way through that song in an afternoon! Power chords are a punk's best friend!

I dunno what's punk, but it's not my job to keep punk rock elite. I'll leave that to the professionals.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa9yo94FRg[/youtube]

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2013, 8:35 am

punkguy378 wrote:
Honestly I think that it is kind of a contradiction that being a punk, people think you have to follow some rules. Punk means no rules and when someone tries to define it it is no longer "true" punk

Exactly what I used to say back in the seventies, I used to hate it when people used to say "you are punk so you should be..." usually from idiots who had only just converted to punk and therefore did not understand it properly. Originally, Punk was supposed to be anti-fashion, so when Punk became fashionable it became a contradiction - a bit like a pacifist committing violence.

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2013, 11:39 am

In my town, there is a genre of hardcore punk called "nardcore." Out of all of the major nardcore bands, I have only gotten into Ill Repute. Aside from that, I am a big fan of the Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth, and X. I unfortunately have never been to a punk show outside of pop punk (it was Warped Tour) but I would like to go one day.

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2013, 2:31 am

GoonSquad wrote:
punkguy378 wrote:

Quoted for irony... :wink: :P

Been a punk fan since about 11 or so when I saw the clash on SNL. Then, a bit later I saw the vid for Psycho Therapy on 120 minutes and that sealed the deal. In those days I had to special order Combat Rock & Subterranean Jungle on vinyl because there wasn't a record store for 100 miles that stocked either album... Needless to say, I was never part of a scene--whatever that is. I certainly grew up alienated and apart from most of my peers.

Actually... I was in a punk band (sort of) in high school. My few friends were metalheads and we attempted to form a metal band, but lacking any musical talent, we struggled to play metallica and motley crue songs... I convinced my pals to try Blitzkrieg Bop. We learned to bang our way through that song in an afternoon! Power chords are a punk's best friend!

I dunno what's punk, but it's not my job to keep punk rock elite. I'll leave that to the professionals.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa9yo94FRg[/youtube]

I was a part of it and it was fun. But I was more (and still am) into Streetpunk and Oi! which is completely different than the more mainstream stuff. I am working on a mohawk now. Honestly it is not growing fast enough. I am eventually going for the full-on fan style and want it at least 6" tall. The best stuff is some australian "beeswax" that comes in a jar. Will keep it up for weeks. The problem is you have to shampoo your hair like 10,000 times to get it out as it is literally made from actual bees wax. Obviously it is mainly used for "dreads" actually but it also works great for mohawks. And generally if your hair is thin it is much easier to do the tall mohawks. Thicker hair is a serious problem. Luckily my hair is thin.

I played in a band and we wrote our own songs. I wrote most of the lyrics and the guitar parts. We did a few covers as well. I actually played bass guitar and was decent at it. Now I just play electric guitar and I would love to join a punk band as a guitarist. Punk is easier than metal. I honestly could not play in a metal band. I would have to practice for six hours a day to get that good and I just do not have time for that.

punkguy378
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2013, 2:38 am

Erlonman wrote:
In my town, there is a genre of hardcore punk called "nardcore." Out of all of the major nardcore bands, I have only gotten into Ill Repute. Aside from that, I am a big fan of the Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth, and X. I unfortunately have never been to a punk show outside of pop punk (it was Warped Tour) but I would like to go one day.

Oxnard. Have been there since I used to live in Orange County. My parents came and visited when I lived in OC and we stayed at some hotel on the water there. I never knew about this style of hardcore although I know the names of some of the bands just never knew they were Nardcore. (The nard comes from the end of the city name I did not figure this out right away)

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

My friend in middle school used Elmer's Glue.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 7:17 am

I just got tickets to Rebellion fest in Blackpool because Buzzcocks sold out in Hebden Bridge and I wanted to see them again this summer. Going to this festival will be better because I'll get to see The Damned and The Adicts and a load of other bands as well. There's a 90s pop group called Space playing that I loved when I was a tweenager but I wonder how many people there will be going to watch them. One day was all I could afford because I am an impoverished mouse. I love the fact that I live in the north of England and I can just go on a train and see different gigs like this. It would suck if I lived in a proper-sized country like the USA where if a band I love was playing in a different state, it'd be like making a pilgrimage.

Other people are getting all excited about crap like Glastonbury and I got into a mini-argument with my friend because I said 'I hate Glastonbury.' :lol:

I wish I could go for the full 4 days and maybe go to the Pleasure Beach and ride all the awesome wooden rollercoasters, but money. I might actually plan my life out a bit better next year and save up enough money to do that.

Anyway, here's the lineup: http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/event/532 ... _2013.html

I'm going on the Friday.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 8:50 am

I tried back in the early '80s but I didn't know a lot of stuff that would've helped. If I'd known that you could dye your hair with Kool-Aid or food coloring, my life would probably be very different today.

Also, I just look too wide-eyed and innocent and sweet and cheerful (even though I'm not any of these things). I considered getting a mohawk but was told that I'd look like a Campbell's Soup Kid with a mohawk, Mmm-mmm, stupid. But it's interesting to watch. I thought they were beautiful people.

Last edited by Mindsigh on 01 Jul 2013, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 9:18 am

I know it's a cliche to say this, but it's about attitude. You can look as cute as a baby panda and still be a punk. I look like a poor, fat, mentally ill person (because I am those things) but whatever :lol:

I want to wear leather pants, I just have another stone of weight loss to go. Being a fat punk is a frustrating.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 5:02 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbFEPS8PPic[/youtube]

I'm reminded of this Japanese movie. It's about a girl who's into Lolita fashion becoming best friends with a bosozoku (motorcycle punk/gang) girl and their great fun adventures. I thought it was relevant.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 5:29 pm

I was born in '66 so I turned 13 in '79 and also discovered 'Punk' and 'Two Tone' unfortunately so did a lot of total muppets and abandoned the scene in '82 to be a two tone style 'traditional' skinhead with a love for working class Brittish punk as well as the better first wave bands and a massive fan of the original JA dancehall styles which I discovered after the Two Tone bands opened my eyes.

Due to the co-opting of and assertions to ownership of the skinhead style by racist nutbars I then also abandoned this [it's a bit much when supposed 'skinheads' are beating you up for liking reggae and ska as well as being of mixed race!]

I kind of feel that punk was dead by '82 and for the most part all that is left is a substance-less ghost and the aural and visual aesthetic.

Why do I say this? well punk seemed to me to be primarily about youth owning our own culture instead of what we were fed by a bunch of cynical old culture vultures, it also had an implicit 'do your own thing', 'dare to be different' ethos, so by the time every middle class muppet had joined the bandwagon and studded leather and mohawks were de-rigeur and if you didn't want to or couldn't afford to then you weren't punk or you weren't hardcore unless you wanted to fight for no real reason except that it was 'punk', well come on - it was all over.

All this Green Day, Paramour rubbish, nah, you can keep it, I started today with the Angelic Upstarts and when I get home I'll listen to some vintage hillbilly blues or some boss reggae or maybe some Stiff Little Fingers, who knows?

For those of you young enough and independent enough to know that 'Oi! ain't about having a fight, Oi! ain't about black V white..etc etc...' and sus enough not to trust the likes of Garry Bushell or his modern equivalents and to think for yourselves - KEEP THE BANNER FLYING!

For those who wan't a taste of some classic kiwi 'punk' check out a compilation called 'AK79' and an Album by 'Toy Love'.

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2013, 3:29 pm

I was born in 67 so I was 10 in the big year of punk. I was too young for it and a bit afraid of it for several years - it was big with the kids who were bullying me and I associated it with their values of aggression, racism and hysterical homophobia. I associated it with dressing in a particular way - they all dressed the same - and calling themselves rebellious. They had pigeonholed me as rich (certainly not), conservative (never have been) and boring (well, they were probably right there) because I didn't dress that way.

I discovered the music at university and loved it and still love it. The Clash, The Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers etc are all still on my (presumably very un-punk) iPod and get played regularly. Even more I loved the post-punk stuff like The Fall, Joy Division, Television Personalities and the various New Wave and Indie stuff, running on into The Smiths and all the C86 scene.

And that's pretty much where my musical taste still lies, except for a few timid steps into the world of classical and the odd album of new bands who are the descendants of my old favourites. Pop music was never that much fun again.

I'm old. I can remember when all this 'round here was fields etc

grahamguitarman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2013, 10:36 am

puddingmouse wrote:
I just got tickets to Rebellion fest in Blackpool because Buzzcocks sold out in Hebden Bridge and I wanted to see them again this summer. Going to this festival will be better because I'll get to see The Damned and The Adicts and a load of other bands as well. There's a 90s pop group called Space playing that I loved when I was a tweenager but I wonder how many people there will be going to watch them. One day was all I could afford because I am an impoverished mouse. I love the fact that I live in the north of England and I can just go on a train and see different gigs like this. It would suck if I lived in a proper-sized country like the USA where if a band I love was playing in a different state, it'd be like making a pilgrimage.

Other people are getting all excited about crap like Glastonbury and I got into a mini-argument with my friend because I said 'I hate Glastonbury.' :lol:

I wish I could go for the full 4 days and maybe go to the Pleasure Beach and ride all the awesome wooden rollercoasters, but money. I might actually plan my life out a bit better next year and save up enough money to do that.

Anyway, here's the lineup: http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/event/532 ... _2013.html

I'm going on the Friday.

A lot of very cool bands there, I remember seeing a lot of them back in the seventies/early eighties. didn't realise most of them were still going though! I mean Peter and the Test Tube babies - I'd forgotten they even existed its been that long since I last Heard of them!

Just spotted Hazel O Connor listed on there too, I met her once, While working as an extra on the film Breaking Glass (I was in the riot scenes).

These days I tend to listen more to instrumental / ambient synth stuff, but then I'm an old fart who just wants to relax ;)

I have Autism. My communication difficulties mean that I sometimes get words wrong, that what I mean is not what comes out.

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

Let me start out by saying that despite their pretty general rejection by the punk rock scene, Green Day was my gateway drug...with a twist. I first heard Kerplunk, then 1039 Smooth Out Slappy Hours before Dookie came out, and they became a household name. From there I got into the East Bay punk scene (Lookout! & Epitaph related stuff), then the 80's stuff (Dead Kennedys, Crass, etc.), some underground nineties revival stuff mostly out of DC or LA, some of the New York hardcore bands, and of course the punk rock going on in my own backyard (Boston), though not the Dropkick Murphys, really. Pre-Let's Face It BossTones were amazing.

I loved the scene and going to shows, and even had my own band. Didn't write one single love song, didn't banter between songs, unfocused my eyes so I wasn't looking at anyone in particular in the audience, and had little to no interaction with people after the show...and now I'm on this website! :D The height of my punk rock days were at the start of the first Bush term, and during/in the aftermath of 9/11. I wasn't there from punk's epoch with MC5, the Stooges and The Clash, but for my particular brand of punk, it was a good time to learn how to sew patches onto a jean/leather jacket.

Nowadays, I can only go back to some of the bands I idolized. Social Distortion is always great, and I even got to see Bad Religion recently, but too many bands seem immature to me at thirty, or just not that talented. I'll always have a soft spot for the punk scene in my heart, but I'm glad I didn't get any tattoos.