Anybody listen to a song about........songs lately?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

22 Feb 2021, 2:33 pm

Lyrics to the 1972 song 'The Guitar Man' by the group BREAD.
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bread/theguitarman.html



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

25 Feb 2021, 6:33 pm

ADDENDUM: The 1974 song, 'Free Man in Paris' - by Joni Mitchell.

This terrific song came out when I was ten. I remember the part of the [LYRIC EXCERPT - But for the work I've taken on stoking the star maker machinery behind the popular song] "struck a chord" so to speak....at age ten; and still to this day "strikes a chord."

LYRICS: https://jonimitchell.com/music/song.cfm?id=117

Unable to locate a list of "songs about songs." Any lists available online?



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,295
Location: temperate zone

26 Feb 2021, 9:39 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
ADDENDUM: The 1974 song, 'Free Man in Paris' - by Joni Mitchell.

This terrific song came out when I was ten. I remember the part of the [LYRIC EXCERPT - But for the work I've taken on stoking the star maker machinery behind the popular song] "struck a chord" so to speak....at age ten; and still to this day "strikes a chord."

LYRICS: https://jonimitchell.com/music/song.cfm?id=117

Unable to locate a list of "songs about songs." Any lists available online?

Why would that line "strike a chord" in a ten year old? You weren't working in the music industry, nor working in any job, when you were ten.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,295
Location: temperate zone

26 Feb 2021, 9:49 pm

There are quite a few songs about songs.

Some are about specific songs (answer songs).

Some are about songs in general.

"I write the songs" Barry Manilow
"Play Me Some Mountain Music" Alabama
"Sad Songs Say So Much" Elton John
"I had to say it in a song" Jim Croce
"Sing a Song" Carpenters
"Birth of the Blues" Various
"Song Sung Blue" Neil Diamond
"Silly Love Songs" Paul McCartney
"Old Time Rocknroll" Bob Seeger



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

27 Feb 2021, 2:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
ADDENDUM: The 1974 song, 'Free Man in Paris' - by Joni Mitchell.

This terrific song came out when I was ten. I remember the part of the [LYRIC EXCERPT - But for the work I've taken on stoking the star maker machinery behind the popular song] "struck a chord" so to speak....at age ten; and still to this day "strikes a chord."

LYRICS: https://jonimitchell.com/music/song.cfm?id=117

Unable to locate a list of "songs about songs." Any lists available online?

Why would that line "strike a chord" in a ten year old? You weren't working in the music industry, nor working in any job, when you were ten.


The way Joni Mitchell sung the [LYRIC EXCERPT - But for the work I've taken on stoking the star maker machinery behind the popular song] stood-out; that is the lyric differed from the usual style of lyrics..........in popular songs.

It's very simple why songs like 'Free Man in Paris,' and singers like 'Joni Mitchell' "struck a chord" - it was great music (unlike so much of the junk today) I had learned to appreciate early on!



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

08 Mar 2021, 8:45 pm

The 1967 'Folk Pop' music genre 'I Dig Rock and Roll Music' by 'Peter Paul and Mary' is an awesome choice for a song about songs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dig_Rock_and_Roll_Music



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,295
Location: temperate zone

09 Mar 2021, 11:31 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
The 1967 'Folk Pop' music genre 'I Dig Rock and Roll Music' by 'Peter Paul and Mary' is an awesome choice for a song about songs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dig_Rock_and_Roll_Music


You are aware that "I Dig Rocknroll Music" is a sarcastic put down of rocknroll? Arent you?

Its still great song. :lol:



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

10 Mar 2021, 4:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
There are quite a few songs about songs.

Some are about specific songs (answer songs).

Some are about songs in general.

"I write the songs" Barry Manilow
"Play Me Some Mountain Music" Alabama
"Sad Songs Say So Much" Elton John
"I had to say it in a song" Jim Croce
"Sing a Song" Carpenters
"Birth of the Blues" Various
"Song Sung Blue" Neil Diamond
"Silly Love Songs" Paul McCartney
"Old Time Rocknroll" Bob Seeger


1976 'Silly Love Songs' by 'Paul McCartney & Wings' had that sarcastic origin and tone.

'Silly Love Songs' was a "just okay" song - compared with the other solo Beatle's works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_Love_Songs



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,653
Location: Long Island, New York

10 Mar 2021, 6:47 pm



_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

11 Mar 2021, 1:42 pm

* The pace and tone of the Moody Blues 1973 'I'm Just A Singer in (A Rock & Roll Band)' is awesome!

* The 1973 Righteous Brothers song 'Rock & Roll Heaven' is terrific!
LINK: Rock and Roll Heaven: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Heaven



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,295
Location: temperate zone

11 Mar 2021, 7:34 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
There are quite a few songs about songs.

Some are about specific songs (answer songs).

Some are about songs in general.

"I write the songs" Barry Manilow
"Play Me Some Mountain Music" Alabama
"Sad Songs Say So Much" Elton John
"I had to say it in a song" Jim Croce
"Sing a Song" Carpenters
"Birth of the Blues" Various
"Song Sung Blue" Neil Diamond
"Silly Love Songs" Paul McCartney
"Old Time Rocknroll" Bob Seeger


1976 'Silly Love Songs' by 'Paul McCartney & Wings' had that sarcastic origin and tone.

'Silly Love Songs' was a "just okay" song - compared with the other solo Beatle's works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_Love_Songs


I wasnt judging when I compiled that list. It includes songs I hate, songs I love, and song that I am meh about (like the mccartney song).

The ones I love include the Elton John, Alabama, and Jim Croce songs.



Last edited by naturalplastic on 11 Mar 2021, 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,295
Location: temperate zone

11 Mar 2021, 7:36 pm

But here it is.... the...single greatest...song about songs...ever recorded!



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,295
Location: temperate zone

11 Mar 2021, 7:45 pm



JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

11 Mar 2021, 8:29 pm

The 1981 'All Those Years Ago' was a tribute to John Lennon.

To this day, 'All Those Years Ago' still still conveys emotion. I remember the emotion I felt when 'All Those Years Ago' was played often on radio that Spring almost forty-years ago.

Link on 'All Those Years Ago' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Those_Years_Ago



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,706
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Aug 2021, 3:26 pm

If you guys remember the Bowling For Soup song, 1985, so many bands/artists have done parodies of it that like 10 years ago a comedy music artist called Dino-Mike decided to do a parody of that song about others doing parodies of it. I'll post the BFS vid underneath :arrow:







_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"
~King Of The Hill


"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition


JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,803
Location: California

07 May 2022, 1:25 pm

"Look What They've Done to My Song Ma" by Melanie, circa 1970.

LYRICS: https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/melani ... my-song-ma