Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,742
Location: England

22 Jun 2020, 6:47 am

So, I'd just like to clarify that I mean this in the slang sense of the word. In fiction, if you ship two or more people you either approve of a confirmed relationship or want it to happen. You're actively engaged in whether these people get together, unless you're doing it to be ironic or something.

Although it is a word that tends to apply in circumstances where people are rooting for fictional characters to form a relationship, it is sometimes used when discussing real life people. Especially celebrities. It can also apply to everyday situations, although some people dislike using the term to refer to such.

Previously, in earlier posts I have mentioned being one of the perpetually single ones in my social group. A group that consists of people in varying places in their relationships (or lack thereof). My friends enjoy speculating on who I'd make a cute couple with. Especially my engaged friends or those in an otherwise long-term relationship.

Fairly recently, I was on a video call with a group of my friends. Two of them on the call (whom are engaged to one another) started arguing about this. One of them began to speculate about a possible relationship between me and another girl in our friendship group (I am openly gay and the girl is openly not straight). The other disagreed and was adamant that he thought that I would be better of with a different girl he knows. It was somewhat entertaining to see them squabble over this and discuss how a hypothetical relationship would go.

"How about (name)?"

"Are you kidding? They're complete polar opposites!"

"Exactly. It's a classic formula"

"More like a recipe for disaster"

"Hmm, maybe, but it'd be interesting at least. Perhaps their personalities would balance each other out"

"For what? A week?"

:lol:


_________________
Possibly B.A.P.
22.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,235
Location: Queens, NYC

22 Jun 2020, 8:33 am

Rarely do they “ship” me.

I’m just not that gorgeous :P



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 67
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,931

22 Jun 2020, 9:04 am

I am going to tell this story because it makes me smile. I got shipped by my six-year-old little girl. We went camping with my husband-to-be at the start of our relationship, before I had any idea this would end up being permanent, and she was not aware of our growing relationship (for a variety of reasons not important to this shipping incident.)

We set up camp on the banks of the Peace River. He showed her how to make a spear with a palm frond. He helped her learn to fish. A bit later, she picked some wildflowers and gave them to him and whispered in his ear, "You are supposed to give them to her," while pointing at me.

A precious moment for everyone. :D


_________________
paralysis by over-analysis


Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,742
Location: England

22 Jun 2020, 5:01 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I am going to tell this story because it makes me smile. I got shipped by my six-year-old little girl. We went camping with my husband-to-be at the start of our relationship, before I had any idea this would end up being permanent, and she was not aware of our growing relationship (for a variety of reasons not important to this shipping incident.)

We set up camp on the banks of the Peace River. He showed her how to make a spear with a palm frond. He helped her learn to fish. A bit later, she picked some wildflowers and gave them to him and whispered in his ear, "You are supposed to give them to her," while pointing at me.

A precious moment for everyone. :D


Aw. That's sweet.


_________________
Possibly B.A.P.
22.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,908
Location: Australia

22 Jun 2020, 8:00 pm

"
Do people ship you?"

No,
But a lot of the NT ones sh*t me,
All too often.
<blink>
What?
Everyone was thinking about the pun. :mrgreen:

Yes,
I was "shipped" after I broke up from my first relationship.
The trouble was,
I preferred the other woman in the small group I was with.
It didn't work out. :mrgreen:

On reflection,
I think the woman I was interested in was an aspie, BTW.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Rarely do they “ship” me.

I’m just not that gorgeous :P


Au contraire, messieur. :wink:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 870
Location: Between my dreams and your fantasies

22 Jun 2020, 9:23 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I am going to tell this story because it makes me smile. I got shipped by my six-year-old little girl. We went camping with my husband-to-be at the start of our relationship, before I had any idea this would end up being permanent, and she was not aware of our growing relationship (for a variety of reasons not important to this shipping incident.)

We set up camp on the banks of the Peace River. He showed her how to make a spear with a palm frond. He helped her learn to fish. A bit later, she picked some wildflowers and gave them to him and whispered in his ear, "You are supposed to give them to her," while pointing at me.

A precious moment for everyone. :D


Aw. That's sweet.


Adorable :heart:


_________________
...what do the public, the great unobservant public, who could hardly tell a weaver by his tooth or a compositor by his left thumb, care about the finer shades of analysis and deduction!


quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Age: 321
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,909
Location: Germany

23 Jun 2020, 4:56 pm

Three month ago a young guy of about 20 did try this in a club. Neither the girl nor me where interested in each other. It's not the way that things work. :shrug:


_________________
I am as I am. :skull: :sunny: :wink: :sunny: :skull: Life has to be an adventure!


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,908
Location: Australia

23 Jun 2020, 7:51 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
Three month ago a young guy of about 20 did try this in a club. Neither the girl nor me where interested in each other. It's not the way that things work. :shrug:


But it can,
Even if it is rare, right? :wink:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Age: 321
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,909
Location: Germany

24 Jun 2020, 1:59 am

Pepe wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
Three month ago a young guy of about 20 did try this in a club. Neither the girl nor me where interested in each other. It's not the way that things work. :shrug:


But it can,
Even if it is rare, right? :wink:

You are right. People are different once it comes to like others. He thought just because we were both on our own we would be a nice couple. He had nice intentions with doing so.


_________________
I am as I am. :skull: :sunny: :wink: :sunny: :skull: Life has to be an adventure!


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,780
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

24 Jun 2020, 4:27 am

Pepe wrote:
"
Do people ship you?"

No,
But a lot of the NT ones sh*t me,
All too often.
<blink>
What?
Everyone was thinking about the pun. :mrgreen:

Yes,
I was "shipped" after I broke up from my first relationship.
The trouble was,
I preferred the other woman in the small group I was with.
It didn't work out. :mrgreen:

On reflection,
I think the woman I was interested in was an aspie, BTW.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Rarely do they “ship” me.

I’m just not that gorgeous :P


Au contraire, messieur. :wink:


I will tell you a secret: <whispering> everyone is in sh!t, only the depth varies.

But you, my old friend, you are drowning badly.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,908
Location: Australia

24 Jun 2020, 5:26 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Pepe wrote:
"
Do people ship you?"

No,
But a lot of the NT ones sh*t me,
All too often.
<blink>
What?
Everyone was thinking about the pun. :mrgreen:

Yes,
I was "shipped" after I broke up from my first relationship.
The trouble was,
I preferred the other woman in the small group I was with.
It didn't work out. :mrgreen:

On reflection,
I think the woman I was interested in was an aspie, BTW.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Rarely do they “ship” me.

I’m just not that gorgeous :P


Au contraire, messieur. :wink:


I will tell you a secret: <whispering> everyone is in sh!t, only the depth varies.

But you, my old friend, you are drowning badly.


I'm autistic.
I don't know what you mean,
Seriously.

So,
What are you talking about?


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 77,235
Location: Queens, NYC

24 Jun 2020, 5:28 am

Boo is a cynic, basically. Cynics tend to think they are realists.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 26,934
Location: temperate zone

24 Jun 2020, 6:00 am

No. Ive never been a victim of human trafficking.

OH!

THAT kinda "shipping"! :D

One memorable time years ago an "aunt" (older friend of the family who is kinda like an aunt) wondered why I wasnt interested marrying a certain young lady in the circle of friends whom I hung with back then. The young lady in question was -for most of the long time I was aquainted with her- a rather off putting gross person. But by the time my aunt suggested that the girl had evolved quite a bit.

Now, years later, I sometimes wonder if my aunt wasnt right, and that I should have hooked up with her, and maybe ended up married to the girl in question. She had evolved into a remarkable person. But then I remember back to why I was put off by her back then. Meh. Hard to say.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,908
Location: Australia

24 Jun 2020, 6:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Boo is a cynic, basically. Cynics tend to think they are realists.


I can be cynical at times,
But I am not a devotee, based on this definition:

Quote:
What is a cynic person?
noun. a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view. ... a person who shows or expresses a bitterly or sneeringly cynical attitude.


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. There are *4* lights. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,


"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


I luv KFC!


The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,780
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

24 Jun 2020, 7:51 am

Pepe wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Pepe wrote:
"
Do people ship you?"

No,
But a lot of the NT ones sh*t me,
All too often.
<blink>
What?
Everyone was thinking about the pun. :mrgreen:

Yes,
I was "shipped" after I broke up from my first relationship.
The trouble was,
I preferred the other woman in the small group I was with.
It didn't work out. :mrgreen:

On reflection,
I think the woman I was interested in was an aspie, BTW.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Rarely do they “ship” me.

I’m just not that gorgeous :P


Au contraire, messieur. :wink:


I will tell you a secret: <whispering> everyone is in sh!t, only the depth varies.

But you, my old friend, you are drowning badly.


I'm autistic.
I don't know what you mean,
Seriously.

So,
What are you talking about?



It means you are fine, we're all in the same boat.



quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2018
Age: 321
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,909
Location: Germany

24 Jun 2020, 1:41 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
Pepe wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
Three month ago a young guy of about 20 did try this in a club. Neither the girl nor me where interested in each other. It's not the way that things work. :shrug:


But it can,
Even if it is rare, right? :wink:

You are right. People are different once it comes to like others. He thought just because we were both on our own we would be a nice couple. He had nice intentions with doing so.

I did kind of ship a totally nice girl once. Strange thing. :twisted: Hope she and her guy weren't idiots afterwards and tell the story their kids later. :roll:


_________________
I am as I am. :skull: :sunny: :wink: :sunny: :skull: Life has to be an adventure!