Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 9:48 pm

I think that something many of us (including myself) could seriously use is a third-party critique of our social skills. Basically, someone to watch you socialize and then walk you through everything that you did right and wrong in the situation.

I feel like, with certain social situations, I keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Yet, without knowing what those mistakes are, I keep repeating them and never see any improvement. The only thing I can think of like this is therapy, but therapy isn't entirely the same. For one, therapists have to be extremely politically correct, and can't tell you certain negative things directly (even if you sometimes need to hear them). Secondly, therapy settings aren't exactly conducive to natural socialization. I find that I always act far differently in a therapy setting than in a normal setting...probably partly because they know so many personal things about me.

So, are there are *reputable* services out there like this?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 11:29 pm

I think that they're called "Moms".

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 11:13 am

Maybe a social skills class or group of some kind? I'm in a group that is half support group and half social skills class, and some of it is helpful. It also takes place in a very different setting than where most interactions take place though.