Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jaguars_fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2006, 3:12 pm

I been on this board for a few months, and been reading how so many posters are feeling upset that they have asperger and act like just because we have it we should feel as though we are not normal.
I'm not trying not to sound like Dr. Phil, but we are no different than anyoneelse. Everyone has to deal wth a certain amount of adversity, having AS is no different. Their is so many people who have different conditions that makes life rough whether if the person was born deaf, blind, went through a abuisive childhood,elc and yet managed to overcome to achive their dreams. We have a choice, either we could give up on ourselves and watch our life pass us by or we can overcome our difficulty and become stronger.
I know what it's like to almost give up because of my disorder but I'm bound to dust myself off and do what it takes.

No matter what happens to me, even if I fail at least I know in my heart I didn't give up and blame my disability for my failier.
Kenneth

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 3:22 pm

Thank you very much for this post jaguars_fan, this is exactly how I feel. :D

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2006, 4:35 pm

Self determination and sheer willpower can go an awful long way in overcoming 'the impossible' human history is filled with such examples. I have had to overcome a lot of stuff through my life to do with AS but I didn't realise I had AS at the time and just forced my way through, I do wonder sometimes if I had been diagnosed earlier in life if I would have used that as an excuse to withdraw from the world rather than put myself out there.

One of my favourite films is Gattaca because it shows how a person can overcome 'the impossible' in search of a dream, I like to read real life stories of inspirational people as well, many of the worlds geniouses and most influential people have had some difficulty physically or mentally or other to overcome, it's often that which gives them the drive, the 'I wont let some silly disability stop me' from doing what I want attitude that drives them on.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2006, 5:09 pm

I agree with the sentiment behind your post, but I'm not sure how helpful it is. "Get a grip" is not practical advice for someone who's severely depressed in my experience.

Most of the posts on here don't seem to be particularly self-pitying or defeatist anyway. They generally appear to be people looking for help in understanding and dealing with their problems, and people venting their frustrations and annoyances (which is a universal human trait AFAIK).

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 5:18 pm

I have to say I agree. It's difficult but at the end of the day, for the majority of us whatever adversities we face, they're not likely to kill us.

But I agree with klassobanieras in that I don't feel the posts on here to tend to be defeatist or whatever :)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Jun 2006, 6:46 pm

Do people have freewill? Do people choose to fail? Willpower means
little if there is no freewill. Sure do not give up, but do we have
a real choice.

BlueFireBird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2006, 3:14 am

I agree with your post, Kenneth! In life everyone gets his amount of baggage to deal with. It is the way you deal with it what makes the difference I think.