Do you ever come across idiots like this?

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2006, 4:52 pm

I meet new people. I communicate with them. They say: Your communication style ir very weird, relax, you speak like your are very tense. I say: That's how I always speak, if I had to speak like you, that would be unatural and difficult to me. They ask: Why? I say: Because I have Asperger's, and the communicating style of those people who have it may seem slightly different from usual. They ask: What is Asperger's, can you tell me about it more? I tell them. Then they say one of these possibles:
1) This is total non sense, people make up that Asperger's, because it is easier to blame all their problems on some syndrome than to sort them out.
2) Yes, yes now it is very fashionable to have all kinds of mental problems (even though I tell them that Asperger's isn't a mental illness).
3) Such thing as Asperger's doesn't exist because I never heard of it.
4) You are pretending to be someone, you try to be someone you are not and pretend to be different from everyone else.

What do you think about this? Does it happen to you?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Jun 2006, 5:10 pm

I have had the same problem. Most people are just not open minded. They
can see the world only with their eyes and not how others may. I had lead
(Pb) posioning on my job, but my coworkers just thought I was nuts. Showing
them a print out of lead levels ment little to them.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 5:52 pm

i run into this all the time, a a grocery cashier, i am speaking up to 14 hours a day.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 6:15 pm

Yes, AS is a unique disability in this way.

One analogy I came up with today is that it is like if I were missing an eye, but I had a glass one in its place. People I meet are always poking fun at the glass eye, talking about how weird it looks, telling me not to look at them funny and what not.

So then I take the glass eye out and they think I am just an a**hole, because it makes them uncomfortable, they say, "where is your eye, I know you have one I've seen it. "

Well I just thought I would share that, not sure if it makes a whole lot of sense.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 6:56 pm

I find the best way to deal with this is to say you have Asperger Syndrome, but when they ask what it is, tell them to look it up (politely). They'll do it because they are curious enough, it saves you a lengthy explanation that they won't think is candid in the first place, and it will properly educate them on the topic. More importantly, they can't use #1 or #3 because it's officially recognized, and if they use #2 or #4 then you are justified to tell them to f*** off anyway...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 8:50 pm

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5 wrote:
I meet new people. I communicate with them. They say: Your communication style ir very weird, relax, you speak like your are very tense. I say: That's how I always speak, if I had to speak like you, that would be unatural and difficult to me. They ask: Why? I say: Because I have Asperger's, and the communicating style of those people who have it may seem slightly different from usual. They ask: What is Asperger's, can you tell me about it more? I tell them. Then they say one of these possibles:
1) This is total non sense, people make up that Asperger's, because it is easier to blame all their problems on some syndrome than to sort them out.
2) Yes, yes now it is very fashionable to have all kinds of mental problems (even though I tell them that Asperger's isn't a mental illness).
3) Such thing as Asperger's doesn't exist because I never heard of it.
4) You are pretending to be someone, you try to be someone you are not and pretend to be different from everyone else.

What do you think about this? Does it happen to you?

Hell yes, I get told to relax all the time, it makes me want to punch the person in the face, jeez.. why don't they just stop commenting.

I've also been told it's all in my head (as in mental, when it's actually PHYSICAL.. in the wiring) and thinking differently will get rid of it.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 12:21 am

F5c_wZ3_414e_X5 wrote:
I meet new people. I communicate with them. They say: Your communication style ir very weird, relax, you speak like your are very tense.

Just to stump them, reply to them with "I enjoy communicating in this style". Then they will be unable to give an annoying answer :)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 3:57 am

Say to them 'your communication style is too relaxed, get a stiff upper lip or you'll get burned.'

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 4:16 am

It just amazing me. You people... Everytime I am dealing with some issue in my life, and its driving me nuts, someone posts that exact same dilemma. Right now I am hearing these very things from my mom and my brother!

Thanks guys!

ruudvandrago

20 Jun 2006, 2:04 pm

These answers shows that people are narrow-minded and what is more they want to look very clever telling some foolish theories about asperger and your behaviour not knowing about you actually nothing.

DannyWilliams
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2006, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Hell yes, I get told to relax all the time, it makes me want to punch the person in the face, jeez.. why don't they just stop commenting.

I've also been told it's all in my head (as in mental, when it's actually PHYSICAL.. in the wiring) and thinking differently will get rid of it.

Dude, chill out and stop being so defensive! ;)

... well, it was nice knowing you people. *says last prayers*

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2006, 5:23 pm

With 4), you can always mention the 'herd mentality'.
I.e. You do pretend to be like evryone else, someone you're not, what's wrong with me choosing to be different like I am?
If they object, point out some physical difference. colour of hair/eyes'll do it.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 5:28 pm

DannyWilliams wrote:
Quote:

Dude, chill out and stop being so defensive! ;)

I wouldn't call that being defensive.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 9:47 pm

emp wrote:
F5c_wZ3_414e_X5 wrote:
I meet new people. I communicate with them. They say: Your communication style ir very weird, relax, you speak like your are very tense.

Just to stump them, reply to them with "I enjoy communicating in this style". Then they will be unable to give an annoying answer :)

You underestimate the power of the ignorant. They always seem to have an answer.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 10:06 pm

Now that I think about it, I may have a wonderful idea.

Redirect it right back at them. You don't even have to try and make sense.

"That's kind of stupid. I mean you saying my communication style is weird and tense? Look at yours. I mean wow."
"What? That makes no sense. You're the weird one!"
"Well yeah, of course you'd think that."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Well, as someone that's weird, you probably think everyone else is weird. You know because your perspective is wrong."
"What?! Where do you get off saying that? You're the crazy freak!"
"You're pretty funny. Seriously, you should get some professional help."

Of course, that works best if your goal is to antagonize people. Probably people like this aren't going to understand you because really, they don't want to (it's their loss).Don't give them any answers or information. Because it's not like they deserve it. And don't be afraid to laugh at them if this is your goal. People like this are hilarious.

It's like I say. Angry Idiots are there for our entertainment.

A better solution might be to just casually disregard them.

"Why are you so weird?"
"Meh."
"Meh?! What kind of answer is that."
<ignore>
"Hey I'm talking to you weirdo!"
"I hardly think I'm neccesary for this conversation."
"What?"
<walk away>
"Hey! Get back here! I'm not done talking."
<continue walking away>
<more obnoxious nonsense>

Can you see how this kind of thing is much more fun? :) I don't think that most people are nearly this aggressive and offensive to be honest. Generally just acknowledging them should be enough. A simple 'Okay.' every now and again will do it. It doesn't have to mean anything.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2006, 1:09 pm

The response to that is "Yes, it's the way my brain is wired and my brain and it's wiring is fully contained within my head" Follow with 'Meh'.