Aspie-friendly sunscreen--does it exist?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:17 pm

I can't stand how sunscreen feels on my skin, but I don't want skin cancer. When I put on sunscreen, I feel like my skin isn't my own anymore and it gives me this irksome burning sensation. Does anyone know of any good brands that don't feel like you're being engulfed in greasy film?

I was a lifeguard for a few years, and I was the only one on my team who refused to wear sunscreen, no matter how badly I got burned. When I was a kid I used to have screaming fits over putting on sunscreen. Other than my antipathy for sunscreen, I'm a really health-conscious person. I exercise and eat right and I take good care of myself, so it's a bit unusual for me to be so careless. It's only because I feel so gross with sunscreen, so I avoid it. I guess I'll feel much more gross when I get skin cancer. Maybe it's just something I have to tolerate. Any advice?

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:59 pm

Yeah. Suncreen is a HUGE issue for me. It does sting no matter what but I'm so paranoid of sun damage I wear it more than most people.

Currently I'm using Trader Joe's Face and Body Sunscreen SPF 30.

"Lightweight, Zinc Oxide Formula
Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection
Non-Comodegenic (Does Not Clog Pores)
Fragrance Free * PABAFree * Oil Free
Water Resistant"

Zinc oxide works by literally sitting on top of your skin and looks a bit white when you put it on. This brand isn't too bad for that though. Also it's VERY hard to get off once you get it on, so if you put on too much and your face is made white, good luck getting it off.

Zinc oxide does burn less than your average chemical-filled sunscreen. Just don't put it on the sensitive eye area like I had been doing for way too long without realizing that it was causing that skin irritation. Also like any sunblock it hurts to get in your eyes accidentally, which I ALWAYS do (as in daily).

Overall the best I've found though.

EDIT: seeing as your main concern is the greasy feel, which I used to hate too but eventually got over cause my paranoia of the sun outweighed it, I'd rate this pretty good for not feeling like a mask. It feels like facial moisturizer or something or lotion, not noticeable soon after it's on. It does feel a but greasy for some reason although it says it contains no grease. It's very lightweight though and tolerable for me at least.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:04 pm

It is something you may need to learn to tolerate, I'm afraid.
I know many people who are avid 'natural living' followers, so try to avoid potentially harmful chemicals in products, sunscreens are particularly, but even they will go against their principles and use sunscreen over risking skin cancer and ageing - huge difference between principles/health care verses sensory issues for a person on the spectrum, but you see my point I hope; sunscreen is important.

It's going to be a personal thing, but I have issues with sunscreen too...
Calypso Once A Day - http://www.lincocare.com/Brands/Calypso ... ctionSPF20
This absorbs into skin so there is no greasy film left on the skin, it also supposedly only needs to be applied once a day.
Nivea Invisible Protection Transparent Spray - http://www.nivea.co.uk/products/Sun-Car ... tion-Spray
This is non-greasy, it's not a lotion but a spray, it has a slight oily texture but only very light.

Both of these are fairly cheap here, so maybe trying them won't be too expensive for you, I'm sure there will be others like them that are non-greasy sprays rather than greasy lotions that leave a horrid film over your skin. But seriously, you know I'm sure it's better than cancer.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:06 pm

purchase wrote:
Yeah. Suncreen is a HUGE issue for me. It does sting no matter what but I'm so paranoid of sun damage I wear it more than most people.

Currently I'm using Trader Joe's Face and Body Sunscreen SPF 30.

"Lightweight, Zinc Oxide Formula
Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection
Non-Comodegenic (Does Not Clog Pores)
Fragrance Free * PABAFree * Oil Free
Water Resistant"
Thanks for this! I was edging toward something with less chemicals, so this looks promising. I hate when I sweat and the sunscreen drips into my eyes. Does the fact that it's water resistant mean that it will not concentrate in sweat? I like do alot of running in the summer, so this was a problem when I did use sunscreen. Even if the label said "sweat-proof" it never seemed to completely be effective.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:14 pm

It doesn't if you don't put on too much like I usually do. It just sorts of melts into your skin (weird phrasing) in my experience and melds with the sweat? (gros sounding yes) Don't take my word for it though. You might try less lightweight less liquidy brands that use Zinc Oxide as active ingredient cause this stuff is pretty viscous, if you do a lot of running and sweating it might well drip into your eyes unfortunately.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2011, 9:23 pm

Have you tried using baby suntan lotion? It's less greasy then the regular stuff, but works just as good.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2011, 11:06 pm

Yes you can have spf 50 but not in a lotion. You could wear long loose fitting long sleeve shirts made of light cotton and pants and a hat with brim and neck cover. For swimming there are full cover swim suit covers neck to ankles they look like wet suits but use normal cloth. You still need some sun but past 20 mins uncovered per day in summer could not be so good.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2011, 12:52 pm

Very interesting topic, and I have to say that I've never had any stinging, but I hate getting creams and lotions on my clothes, and I don't like the smell or oily-greasy feel of most tan/sun screen products.

I would suggest reading the labels on all the types of sunscreen, and try one with a different base, if there is such a thing. I'd assume most of them are oil based, and some aloe based (STICKY!! !! !! !! !), but maybe there's a water based or glycerine based kind. There are also the rub-on stick types, which are great for nose/ears/cheeks, etc. Those feel like Chapstick. Aloe Vera grows as a weed at our place in SoCal, and when I cut any of it out, it leaves a sticky nasty mess on my hands, and it gets everywhere. I can't understand those people who break off a leaf, and squeeze the sap onto themselves. It's supposed to be an elegant, exotic thing to do for your skin. Leave me out of it!

Charles

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

I always hated sunscreen too. I didn't like the greasy feel, but lots of people don't like the smell either. If you go somewhere like walmart where there is a lot to choose from, you can find sunblock that is oil-free and unscented. You don't feel it on your skin after you rub it in, but you'll probably have to reapply it if you get in the water.

littlerubberjohnny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

Unless you live somewhere hot, if you go out in the sun a lot you can build up resistance and not nee to wear suncream often.
The key is to get a slight, long lasting tan that doesn't fade. Don't forget sunlight makes vitamin D, and in the wild, the human would be naked :)

I'm pale and this spring and summer I've been outside for hours each hot sunny day and I'm stil quite pastey!

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

littlerubberjohnny wrote:
Unless you live somewhere hot, if you go out in the sun a lot you can build up resistance and not nee to wear suncream often.
The key is to get a slight, long lasting tan that doesn't fade. Don't forget sunlight makes vitamin D, and in the wild, the human would be naked :)

I'm pale and this spring and summer I've been outside for hours each hot sunny day and I'm stil quite pastey!
Yeah I'm not so sure about that. UV rays don't care how tan you are. The sunlight is more intense now thanks to cars and factories, so I'm not sure it's relevant to compare how humans survived pre-industrial.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2011, 1:26 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
The sunlight is more intense now thanks to cars and factories, so I'm not sure it's relevant to compare how humans survived pre-industrial.

With all due respect, I believe that much of those opinions are based on false information and bad calculations. I don't know one way or the other, as I'm not an expert, but I believe about 50% of each side of most of those enviro-debates.

With that said, it is a fact that at high altitudes such as Denver, or many ski resorts, you will get a lot more sun burn effect due to the less dense atmosphere.

Charles

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

have you tried different types? there are lots of 'light' or spray on ones nowadays that aren't like the sticky white paste I used to get smeared in as a kid. the one I'm using currently on my body is a dry oil spray which smells quite nice, and on my face just a regular non-sticky moisturiser that contains spf. I'm uber white though so have to bear it:(

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

kx250rider wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
The sunlight is more intense now thanks to cars and factories, so I'm not sure it's relevant to compare how humans survived pre-industrial.

With all due respect, I believe that much of those opinions are based on false information and bad calculations. I don't know one way or the other, as I'm not an expert, but I believe about 50% of each side of most of those enviro-debates.

With that said, it is a fact that at high altitudes such as Denver, or many ski resorts, you will get a lot more sun burn effect due to the less dense atmosphere.

Charles
No, it has pretty much been researched and proven. You'd have to be pretty naive to think that all those chemicals from factories and cars just harmlessly disappear. It's basic science and common sense.

Scientists who say that global warming is false have been influenced by poison-belching corporations who are only concerned with profit. You'd also have to be pretty naive to think that no bribery goes on.

Then again, this thread is not a political debate, and I'm only concerned with the fact that UV rays are more damaging than they have been in the past. If you want to debate how the ozone layer is wasting away into nothing, go to another thread.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 11:28 pm

I stopped wearing sunscreen a few years ago and now I don't really get sun-burnt.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

I use Neutrogena spf 90 on extra sunny days,spf 70 on regular days,and Skin Ceuticals spf 30 if I am just bouncing in and out of a few buildings.I really recommend Skin Ceuticals the most,it is a little pricey but very light on the skin,extremely gentle and lasts a long time..
http://www.skinceuticals.com/_us/_en/catalog/Oily/Physical-UV-Defense-SPF-30.htm