Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 41 of 42 [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 277
Location: Birmingham

22 Jun 2021, 8:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fenn wrote:
I am not a writer but I have preformed on stage. Writing is a bit like stage work - there is more than one artist involved. The Actor and the Director my re-interpret the intention of the Author and the result is new art - not the "incorrect" interpretation of the Writer. With a written piece, the Reader is an artist too - the character the Writer thought of as blond, the reader may interpret as a bruenette - the villain might be seen as a hero (Wicked on Broadway?). Fans might like the original Star Wars better than George Lucas' "improved" version with new special effects and a rewritten ending.

I think when an Author writes - he creates, but then, when a Reader reads he creates too.


Very insightful, and I think correct.

When I read a scene and later see it enacted. It is almost always more dramatic than I imagined it with characters yelling and hitting each other.


_________________
I am a trained monkey. Watch! I do tricks.


Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,722
Location: Pennsylvania

25 Jun 2021, 8:27 am

I did a show in college where the author (a fellow student) came to the first few rehearsals. I very quickly really wanted him to leave. His ideas and my ideas and the director's ideas really didn't jive.

In the Audio Book version of "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride" which is written and read by by Cary Elwes (ok someone else helped him with the writing) they have voice clips from the other cast members and the author and director and so on. Apparently they shot the Fire Swamp first and the author freaked out at the idea of the actress being set on fire. He eventually stopped coming to the shootings. I think it was mutual between him and the director.

When I read a book and then I see the movie - it never quite matches - usually the movie is terrible by comparison.
Case in point - the "Tunnel of Love" scene in the Percy Jackson movie - a scene i REALLY wanted to see done right by hollywood was just "not a bang but a whimper".
Sometimes the director's take is simply different and fresh. But that is rare.


_________________
ADHD-I(diagnosed) ASD-HF(undiagnosed - maybe)
RDOS scores - Aspie score 131/200 - neurotypical score 69/200 - very likely Aspie


hold_sway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 5 Dec 2021
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 23

09 Dec 2021, 11:31 am

I’m just autistic, so I hope posting here is appropriate. I’m a poet, not so much a writer of prose although I dabble occasionally.


_________________
AQ: 48 | RAADS-R: 182 | Pronouns: they/he


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,008
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

09 Dec 2021, 2:38 pm

hold_sway wrote:
I’m just autistic, so I hope posting here is appropriate. I’m a poet, not so much a writer of prose although I dabble occasionally.


Of course you're welcome!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,906
Location: Portland, Oregon

16 Dec 2021, 8:27 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
hold_sway wrote:
I’m just autistic, so I hope posting here is appropriate. I’m a poet, not so much a writer of prose although I dabble occasionally.


Of course you're welcome!


Would you be willing to share your works?


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,008
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

16 Dec 2021, 9:19 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
hold_sway wrote:
I’m just autistic, so I hope posting here is appropriate. I’m a poet, not so much a writer of prose although I dabble occasionally.


Of course you're welcome!


Would you be willing to share your works?


Let me think on it. I could possibly post passages.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 13 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 349
Location: Seattle, WA

20 Dec 2021, 8:36 am

hyperbolic wrote:
A question I have for you all is do you think that someone with Asperger's Syndrome can become a successful author even with his difficulties in social interaction, which may be reflected in his writing, especially in the dialogue?

Another question: Does anyone know of any successful writers who have or have been suspected to have Asperger's Syndrome?

EDIT: clarity


I am extraordinarily late to this party but I just found this thread and wanted to weigh in. I'm a published author, through a traditional publishing house (as opposed to self-publishing). I don't have Asperger's, but I am level two.



DunaDuna
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 18 Dec 2021
Gender: Female
Posts: 17
Location: Concon

20 Dec 2021, 12:07 pm

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, and new to the whole Austism/Asperger's topic, as I only was diagnosed 5 days ago (Asperger's).

Since I was 10 or so, I've been writing stories, not so much because I enjoy writing or using language (I do not), but because it helped me process things and find solutions for "personal emotional problems". Using invented characters as dummies who can act and react in a way I can not kind of does a good job for me.

I never shared my writings. Though fictional in many aspects, I always felt that in a way, I was still revealing too much about me.

Just recently I joined a very small online group of amateur writers and it's working really good, I started to write more organized stories (like consecutive chapters of a novel rather than just independent scenes) and it's a lot of fun reading what the others write, commenting on it, helping each other.

Since I got my diagnose, though, I have the feeling that perhaps my writing is not so good, because of "writing social interaction".

I can do dialogues, but only in a very script-like form (like screenwriting).

My 3 readers (we are 4 people in this group) like very much my action scenes, but they miss a little the emotional component.

This whole writing thing is not a big deal for me, it's more for fun than anything else, but I read the title of this topic, and it made me think if perhaps I could actually use writing fro getting a better understanding or sense of emotions, not only my character's, but mine, too?

Have a nice day!



AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 13 Jul 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 349
Location: Seattle, WA

20 Dec 2021, 2:48 pm

DunaDuna wrote:
Hi!

I'm new to this forum, and new to the whole Austism/Asperger's topic, as I only was diagnosed 5 days ago (Asperger's).

Since I was 10 or so, I've been writing stories, not so much because I enjoy writing or using language (I do not), but because it helped me process things and find solutions for "personal emotional problems". Using invented characters as dummies who can act and react in a way I can not kind of does a good job for me.

I never shared my writings. Though fictional in many aspects, I always felt that in a way, I was still revealing too much about me.

Just recently I joined a very small online group of amateur writers and it's working really good, I started to write more organized stories (like consecutive chapters of a novel rather than just independent scenes) and it's a lot of fun reading what the others write, commenting on it, helping each other.

Since I got my diagnose, though, I have the feeling that perhaps my writing is not so good, because of "writing social interaction".

I can do dialogues, but only in a very script-like form (like screenwriting).

My 3 readers (we are 4 people in this group) like very much my action scenes, but they miss a little the emotional component.

This whole writing thing is not a big deal for me, it's more for fun than anything else, but I read the title of this topic, and it made me think if perhaps I could actually use writing fro getting a better understanding or sense of emotions, not only my character's, but mine, too?

Have a nice day!


Welcome DunaDuna,

I hope you find Wrong Planet to be a resource as you move forward. I understand the position you are in regarding your diagnosis; I was diagnosed with autism level two, sixty-eight days ago. I enjoy writing for processing and journal daily along with other assorted writings. I have joined a number of writing groups over the years but have only returned to one of them. I found that one about five months ago and attend regularly (every two weeks).

One of the things that I like very much about the writing group that I attend is that we do not offer critiques. We offer what the person who started this group calls resonance. If a particular bit of writing touched a person in a particular way, we will speak to that - specifically, I suppose, we share how a piece made us feel rather than what we thought about it. Resonance is offered on a volunteer basis only, so no one is required to speak on someone else's work. I have participated in groups in which, I've watched a person critique something that was just read but it was clear from their critique that they completely missed the point - or worse, they make something up because they were so busy texting in their lap during the reading that they never heard it.

Anyway, just wanted to say that although I had a pretty good handle on emotions before I began writing, it certainly helped. These days, when someone does offer a critique, I'm often receiving compliments on my dialogue specifically. Anyway, best of luck to you in your continuing journey! :)



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 24,145
Location: UK

08 Apr 2022, 4:35 pm

I'm good at social interaction in stories. The Asperger's doesn't make me socially clueless, I still most of the social instincts NTs have but it just sometimes takes a little longer for me to process things or to respond correctly, even if I don't have to think.
So writing stories about social interaction isn't hard for me.


_________________
Female
Aged 32

Diagnosed with ADHD
Have Anxiety Disorder
Diagnosed with mild ASD but I don't identify as autistic


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,906
Location: Portland, Oregon

14 May 2022, 5:34 pm

If you hate superhero stories, here is a prompt:
Create a character who of course becomes shocked upon learning of having superhuman abilities,
but is also on the spectrum.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,008
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

14 May 2022, 7:03 pm

But I love superheroes! :o


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,906
Location: Portland, Oregon

15 May 2022, 4:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
But I love superheroes! :o


So do I! :)


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,906
Location: Portland, Oregon

21 Jun 2022, 5:14 pm

I am almost done writing my Neo-Western story,
which is set in the Pacific Northwest several years after the end of World War I.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,008
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

21 Jun 2022, 9:33 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am almost done writing my Neo-Western story,
which is set in the Pacific Northwest several years after the end of World War I.


Sounds really cool! I had written a horror novella taking place in eastern Washington in the early 1900's, called At Night Outside The Window. Is the genre straight western?


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 64,906
Location: Portland, Oregon

22 Jun 2022, 7:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am almost done writing my Neo-Western story,
which is set in the Pacific Northwest several years after the end of World War I.


Sounds really cool! I had written a horror novella taking place in eastern Washington in the early 1900's, called At Night Outside The Window. Is the genre straight western?


No, it can also be considered a "Revisionist Western", which questions the
ideals of the "traditional Western" by using character development and realism.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!