Malefient is by far the most overrated villain ever

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty is one of the boringest villains ever created. no backstory. no personality. extremely one dimensional. retarded (yes, i used that word against Maleficent) whiny brat who flipped out because she didn't go to a christening (why does a satan want to go to a christening, that's the equivalemce of a Jew wanting to go to a Nazi meeting). I honestly don't see why people always rank her number one best disney villain, she's superbly overrated.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm

Maybe Malefient is using not having been invited to the christening as a pretext to cause disaster and discord.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

salad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Maybe Malefient is using not having been invited to the christening as a pretext to cause disaster and discord.

I thought the same (although it's still very asinine sounding to develop a vendetta for not being invited to a party), until I later found out that she was always demonic and evil and was always an enemy of King Stefan, simply because she's "evil". worst.villain. EVER

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

salad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I thought the same (although it's still very asinine sounding to develop a vendetta for not being invited to a party), until I later found out that she was always demonic and evil and was always an enemy of King Stefan, simply because she's "evil". worst.villain. EVER

I know - that's my point. She was just using not being invited as an excuse to cause evil.

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

I know. This has always bothered me, too. Snow White's queen had a clear motivation of jealousy; Cinderella's stepmother favored her biological children over her adopted one, which is all too common in the real world. Maleficent is just a one-dimensional portrait of evil. I think maybe the reason she is so popular is because she is aesthetically scary, so people are willing to ignore her weak back story and character development.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 4:38 pm

LordExiron wrote:
I know. This has always bothered me, too. Snow White's queen had a clear motivation of jealousy; Cinderella's stepmother favored her biological children over her adopted one, which is all too common in the real world. Maleficent is just a one-dimensional portrait of evil. I think maybe the reason she is so popular is because she is aesthetically scary, so people are willing to ignore her weak back story and character development.

if i told this to any disney fan id be labeled an idiot. im glad wrongplanet's demographics is mostly geniuses and rational minds.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 7:39 pm

Not all great villains Disney or non Disney need a great backstory to be great you know. Take the Joker from The Dark Knight, we don't really know his true backstory but a great villain non the less. But I guess salad has a point about her being whiny about not being invited to a party. I mean she is a demon like creature and maybe she did something bad in the past. Disney should have made a prequel (not one of those straight to dvd movies like they use to do) telling her origins instead of that upcoming live action movie with Angelina Jolie. Non the less Maleficent is probably the best Disney villain period.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm

The old brothers grim story about sleeping beauty has a little light about it.

Once the baby was born the queen invited the 12 fae of her kingdom. For each of the fae a plate of gold and jewels was to be given but the service boy miscounted and only put out 11 plates. Each fae gave their gifts to the princess in turn. One gave her beauty, another kindness and so on till the last two were left. The 12 fae that did not get a gold plate jumped out and said with a cry "On you're 16th birthday you will prick your finger and die" the 12th fae departed. As the queen and king were in tears as the 11th fae stood up "I can not undo what my sister have Weved but I can change it. My gift is she will not die when she pricks her finger she and her kingdom will fall into a deep slumber" that is all I remember.

Fae are dicks that's all there is to it.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2013, 3:36 am

To be fair, that Dragon probably scares the bejeezus out of little children. Especially back in the day when a dragon hadn't yet been animated that well.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 4:53 am

The only reason people like her is because she is so ridiculously evil, as a character she sucks.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

salad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

tb86 wrote:
Not all great villains Disney or non Disney need a great backstory to be great you know. Take the Joker from The Dark Knight, we don't really know his true backstory but a great villain non the less. But I guess salad has a point about her being whiny about not being invited to a party. I mean she is a demon like creature and maybe she did something bad in the past. Disney should have made a prequel (not one of those straight to dvd movies like they use to do) telling her origins instead of that upcoming live action movie with Angelina Jolie. Non the less Maleficent is probably the best Disney villain period.

I respect opinions, but I'm going to have to disagree. I can easily name 8 villains better than her:

Shan Yu
Frollo
Evil Queen
Scar
Horned King
Ursula
Clayton
Tremaine

The only quality she has is evil and power. So what? She's dull, boring, whiny brat, overdramatic etc.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 12:05 am

When people say something I like is really stupid it's like they're saying I'm really stupid. :( Why can't a villain just be plain ol' evil instead of all this deep tragic past (oh they had a miserable childhood, they have some mental illness, sob cry sniffle), it's just a cartoon? Personally however, I think Cruella DeVille is a very overrated villain. She's just some nasty old lady who wants to make a coat out of poor little puppies.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
When people say something I like is really stupid it's like they're saying I'm really stupid. :( Why can't a villain just be plain ol' evil instead of all this deep tragic past (oh they had a miserable childhood, they have some mental illness, sob cry sniffle), it's just a cartoon? Personally however, I think Cruella DeVille is a very overrated villain. She's just some nasty old lady who wants to make a coat out of poor little puppies.

that's just too cliched. sorry, but she's a terrible villain imo and extremely overrated. cruella is overrated, but malficent is overrated and pathetic. forget backstory, her reasons are pathetic. "i couldn't go to a party". lol.

LimitedSlip
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2013, 2:45 am

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP (and most everyone else).

salad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:14 pm

LimitedSlip wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP (and most everyone else).

BTW it says you joined 3 days ago. welcome to WP.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2014, 7:06 pm

I'm starting to agree. Maybe it's because I'm tired of seeing her being the official representative or the big bad of the Disney Villains but when you think about it, if she wanted to kill Aurora she would've found a more efficient way to do it other than a spinning wheel prick.