Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

azzazinator
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

Sounds too familiar ..

Usually I'm just too late

When I try even harder, I tend to start talking almost exactly at the same time as sombody else.
But I'm almost always the first one to detect the collison and stop talking ...
Often I just forget what I wanted to say ...

I wonder if I'm just to slow, or the if the others are picking up some clue, that I dont....

On the phone, it's a nightmare.

Diagnosed
AQ=44, IQ=136

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 3:54 pm

Occasionally I do but I am very apologetic after doing so, especially to strangers and casual acquaintances. Unfortunately if I don't voice my opinion right away, I find that I forget what I had intended to say. Thus I can either be rather insolent and outspoken or almost mute. Whilst I cannot speak on behalf of the rest of the autistic population, I personally find that my thought processes are usually all over the place.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2016, 5:28 am

I interrupt people sometimes, I don't mean to be rude, it just kind of happens sometimes. It seems almost like I can be a little bit unaware of the fact that I'm doing it until it's too late and I already started talking over someone. I think it has something to do with needing to think too much about speech, maybe being a little impatient, and just getting the rhythm on a conversation a little bit wrong too. I always feel bad about it and apologize or ask what they were saying.

Jsmacdougall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Feb 2016, 11:23 am

beakybird wrote:
Constantly. If I don't say something when I think of it I'll either forget by time it's my turn, or I won't hear anything you say because I'll be concentrating on not forgetting my point.

I'm a s**t conversationalist unless you can talk over me back.

Yes!

faustjonson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2016, 7:49 am

Yes, most of the time. People get very angry sometimes and I can't blame them. But I can't control myself.

hmk66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2016, 8:30 am

Grahzmann wrote:
I try to find breaks in the conversation to speak up but I usually just end up talking over someone anyway.

Same to me. Let's say, person A and B are talking with eachother. Person A is speaking now, B is listening. I want to join the conversation because I like the subject they are discussing. A finishes talking and B is replying. No time for me to join. Maybe after a few more sentences. Then there is a gap of a few seconds. I start talking to B. A ignores that and start talking while I am yet talking.

Another situation. I am talking with person A. Person B enters and interrupts immediately. At work, I would only accept that if the interruption is work related and my chat is not. In other cases (both subjects are either both work related or neither of them are) I want the other person to wait. Or... person B waits for a gap. As soon as A or I finish, my chances to continue the conversation are lost. A and B are talking to eachother and push me out of the conversation.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:37 am

Have been very "good" at it most of my life. I try not to (I´m pissed off myself, when I am interrupted...so), - but I often misjudge, whether a break in the conversation means, that I can talk.

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2016, 8:44 am

Yes I do much to the annoyance of my family. Even on the phone I do it.

When i want to join a convo my brain gets faster just looking to butt in, and worrying if I don't I won't
get to make my point, or I will totally forget what I wanted to say.

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2016, 8:46 am

Occasionally I might want to blurt something not appropriate and have to hold back as much as possible and usually end up grinning and humming something quietly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:46 am

I've been known to :wink:

azzazinator
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2016, 9:37 am

hmk66 wrote:
Another situation. I am talking with person A. Person B enters and interrupts immediately. At work, I would only accept that if the interruption is work related and my chat is not. In other cases (both subjects are either both work related or neither of them are) I want the other person to wait. Or... person B waits for a gap. As soon as A or I finish, my chances to continue the conversation are lost. A and B are talking to eachother and push me out of the conversation.

When person A accepts the interruption by person B, it always makes me wonder if person A do that because he/she prefers to talk to person A instead of me.. ?

Diagnosed
AQ=44, IQ=136

Drkshadow76
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2016, 10:49 am

All the time. It just happens without thinking. I think people have just come to accept it.